Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Diesel Mondeo – lots of smoke!
  • cardiff
    Free Member

I am getting a lot of smoke coming out of my 07 Mondeo (90k on the clock) whenever I accelerate now, it’s not black but more light grey! Also as I accelerate I’m sure I can hear a slight whooshing sound of air?

Anything I should check before heading to a garage? No engine warning lights have come on, there’s a bit of loss of power but doesn’t seem drastic.

Cheers

watsontony
    Free Member

usually means you are getting oil into the combustion chamber.a number of things can cause this

toxicsoks
    Free Member

It’s a diesel, yeah? Could be something as simple as a dirty fuel filter………………….or the injectors are buggered (£££££££££’s).

cardiff
    Free Member

Hmm, lets hope its the cheaper option! Anything I can do to check what it might be or am I best off just biting the bullet and heading to a garage?

andydicko
    Free Member

Grey Smoke (unburnt Diesel) & a Whoosing Noise?? Have you lost any power??

It could be a split turbo pipe!!

willber
    Free Member

Ford diesels and their dirty EGR valves – start with that

LapSteel
    Free Member

Its a split turbo pipe…..
    Just had mine done, same symptoms cost about £100 to £120 to get it repaired on a mk3 mondeo
    Check out the Talkford website for pictures etc its a common problem

Northwind

Split turbo pipe gives you your noise, and is in the right time window, and fairly simple to replace- can be various parts but pattern replacements are cheap (well, cheap in money, expensive in lost skin). Wouldn’t neccesarily smoke though.

Smoky I’d suspect EGR on general principles. Not sure what the options are for blanking with an 07, you might have more issues with emissions control than mine. Otherwise take it off, clean it out- even if it’s not gone wrong yet, it will.

I’m assuming from the name you’re in wales but if you’re Edinburgh-ish I think my faultreader would work on yours if you want to check it out?

wolvesdug
    Free Member

Its a split turbo pipe…..
    Just had mine done, same symptoms cost about £100 to £120 to get it repaired on a mk3 mondeo
    Check out the Talkford website for pictures etc its a common problem

This. Mine did the same, pipe £56 from ford and 15 mins to fit

spooky_b329

EGR is easy if very messy to clean, you just need a toothbrush and some carburettor cleaner, your scruffy clothes and about 500 metres between you and any carpet 🙂

I had a tiny bit on my boots and spent longer cleaning the carpet than the EGR 🙂

andydicko
    Free Member

Grey smoke is un burnt diesel, if the Turbo is giving boost but a split in the pipe is preventing ALL the boost air going into the engine then it’s effectively over fuelling…….

EGR would create black smoke!

craigxxl
    Free Member

Split boost pipe, usual culprit is the one that connects to the intercooler to EGR about £60 from Fords. Others have taped it up with Duck tape and zip ties for a temp fix
    If you were local you could have had my old pipe that’s sat in the garage

cardiff
    Free Member

Cheers for the help guys, much appreciated! I’m in Cardiff yeah. I’ll look up the split turbo pipe on-line and have a look at where it is etc. Fingers crossed it’ll be pretty obvious if it’s gone and then I can order a new one and fit it! I’ll see how this does and if it fixes the problem then take it from there!

Cheers again!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Grey smoke is not split turbo pipe IMO, loss of turbo power and oily sh1t all over your engine is split turbo pipe. 🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

ref: cleaning the egr.

do i need a garage?

don’t have anywhere to do it but a sloped driveway or flat outside communal parking.

have the 130bhp crystal mondeo euro 4 that needs a clean and blank really but no where to do it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Fingers crossed it’ll be pretty obvious if it’s gone and then I can order a new one and fit it!

IMO it will be obvious without looking, in the fact that the acceleration will be absolute pants. Besides that, the car will drive normally ie starting, idling, cruising, setting off (up until the turbo @ about 2000rpm) etc.

BTW I had my turbo pipe replaced last year and it cost £50

craigxxl
    Free Member

Saccades, what year?

Saccades
    Free Member

04, first of the facelift.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

What size engine ?

2.0l tdci’s split the intercooler hose at the egr valve regularly .
    Injector on it’s way out can also cause black smoke , usually acompanied by rough idle and/or poor starting .

Inbred456
    Free Member

As above 50 quid from ford and 20mins to fit. Very common failure, easy to put right! Did mine at 85k. Mines an 04 now with 101k. Super car chain cam no dpf .

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cheapest I could get the pipe in the Bradford area was £70 about 3 months ago.

Certainly if the pipe has gone there should be some loss of mpg, power and smooth acceleration, and yes oil spewed over the pipe and engine.

As above, how easy to clean the EGR valve?

IMO all Mk3 Mondeos smoke more than any other car on the road anyhow!

craigxxl
    Free Member

Saccades, Jaguar will do the EGR that will fit yours for £60, cheaper than Ford, but it will have an electrical connection which can ignored as yours works on a vacuum. There is only 2 nuts, 2 bolts and a jubilee clip to change them over and it should take you no longer than 30 mins.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Cleaning the EGR on Mondeo’s up to a 55 plate is just a dirty job with a toothbrush and petrol to scrub all the gunk out. Have a look on the diesel section of Mondeo’s on STdrivers forum for a step by step

craigxxl
    Free Member

Forge do a silicon pipe which will last the life of the car for not much more than what Ford charge

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

just to add to what I wrote above about the turbo pipe. You can still feel the turbo kick in at about 2000rpm, but there’s nothing/not much thereafter.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Also check the low pressure boost pipes had one split on my VW tiny crack bodged with a bike inner tube patch for a few days till I got the new one!

globalti
    Free Member

Throw the car in a canal and buy a Volkswagen.

failedengineer

Why on earth would he want an inferior car?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Cardiff, what was the problem, assuming you’ve had it fixed by now?

cardiff
    Free Member

Little bit of a thread resurrection! Due to other things only haut had a chance to look at the problem! Do the photos below look like the turbo pipe? Def a leak on te end of it whatever it is!

Cheers!

Northwind

Any chance of a wider shot to help place it in the bay?

cardiff
    Free Member

These any good? You can jus see the hose glistening in the flash!

Thanks!

Northwind

Grand, ta. The biggest hose you can see there is the intercooler-to-EGR hose and very commonly splits lengthways(it’s under a fair bit of pressure). And when it does it can spray a fair amount of goop around. So I’d check that first of all. Nice and easy to replace if it’s that one, ebay for a cheap one and a box of elastoplasts for your knuckles.

Your bay’s a little different to mine so I’m just going to go and have a root around and see if I can figure out what else is going through there.

Northwind

OK, doublecheck on yours but by comparison with my (slightly different but overall similiar) layout I reckon those oiled hoses are all for coolant (and there’s a wiring bundle that’s something to do with the injectors too). So I bet 10 scottish pence that it’s the biggest hose. If you get someone to rev the engine while you root around you may be able to hear or feel the air escaping.

If so, then there’s silicon ones available on that ebay for £35- I went for the boyracer blue because of my overdeveloped sense of irony, but black is availbable 😉 The OEM Ford part is more expensive and will split again anyway.

Rochey
    Free Member

Just had the same thing however changed the fuel filter, didn’t work, garage then looked into the injectors, poss buggered, looking at approx £1k to fix, not good.

Instead of fixing I had to buy a new car!!!

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Northwind speaks the truth , get it replaced sharpish . Driving around with a boost leak can kill your turbo due to overspeed of the rotating components .

cardiff
    Free Member

Cheers for your help Northwind, it is indeed the big pipe so will get it changed over after Christmas, not got to go anywhere before that anyhow! have a good one

cardiff
    Free Member

Thanks again for everyone’s help! I’ve fixed it at last! Very grubby hands and slightly less skin to show for it! I do have a lovely bright blue hose in its place! Below shows the size of the tear!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Diesel Mondeo – lots of smoke!’ is closed to new replies.