Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Diesel family estate car with 4×4 & hi/low box?
  • ski
    Free Member

Manual not auto.

Is there such a thing?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Estate car with a low range box? You'll be lucky!

Closest you'll get would be from these;
    Audi Allroad (Rarely if ever in manual)
    Volvo V70AWD, V70XC or XC70 (again, rarely in manual)
    Scooby Forrester (Don't think they've done that as a diesel yet)
    Scooby Legacy Outback

Low range only really comes on vehicles which really need it, and family estate cars don't really need it!

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Skoda Octavia, 4×4 TDi

I've got petrol version, fast but thirsty.

Dan67
    Free Member

can I ask why do you need one with a high low box?

ski
    Free Member

Thanks CF

My folks are looking to replace their Scooby Forrester, but were looking at Diesel options if possible.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Scooby Legacy certainly has the low range box but as CF says, not sure about the diesel part. I'd agree with CF though about the requirement for a low range box. Do you really need a low range box?

wool

Subaru, have a 9 year old petrol estate it fantastic apart from the fuel consumption but then it only does 3-4 thousand miles every year.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

My Audi 1.9 tdisport estate seems to have quit a low range compared to my friends 107, why do you need a low range car if its not a dumb Q?

ski
    Free Member

Dan67 – Member

can I ask why do you need one with a high low box?

They both work on a farm, so need something that is reasonable on your typical muddy farm tracks.

They had a dead sheep in the back of it yesterday!

The Volvo XC70 might be worth looking at, thanks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My turbocharged V70AWD is certainly

reasonable on your typical muddy farm tracks.

Never seen the need for a low range so far, only really necessary when it starts getting either really steep or really gloopy, neither of which are places you should be taking a family estate car! (Unless it's a Disco or similar that is!)

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Muddy farm track, assuming not towing anything? Really don't see the need for low box, diff lock possibly but only if it's really bad.
    If they really need low range, then probably have to be a 'proper' 4×4

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

The latest Forrester is available with a diesel engine,but not sure about the low range box.

toys19
    Free Member

I've driven and older subaru Forrester petrol, thirsty but mental good fun and very useful. Its on my lottery winner list..

vinnyeh

My last Subaru Outback (2.5 petrol) had dual range, but it was the previous model, not sure about the current lineup with the new diesel engine. Seems to vary by market as well. A quick call to a dealer will sort you.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

X-Trail, no low range but pulled a fully laden transit up a 1 in 3 gradient without much trouble, about 3 tons I reckon.

spooky_b329

Any low range vans about? 😉

My van struggles to pull away on hills with its max tow weight of 2.8t hanging off the back.

No, thought not. Can't afford its younger brother, the Daily 4×4, so will just save a nest egg for a new clutch 🙂

nasher
    Free Member

mitsubishi delica

see this thread

dab

new scoob forrester doesn't have a the high/low box , shame really as my old imprezza sport 2.0 had one and it was great for towing and pulling drivers out of ditches / snowdrifts

tbh tho, tyres will make a bigger difference than the low box

the standard 2.0D impreza has the transfer box as does the legacy …new ones a bit ugly but growing on me (outback vers)

also ground clearance will be an issue for the imprezza as it sits low

best bargain would be a previous gen forrester 2.5 xt spec
    big engine and transfer box , genuine off road ability

or a legacy outback ….

i'm lusting after a 4×4, esp after how pants the civic has been this winter but i really love the engine/ interior etc

looked at an ex demo impreza 2.0d and it was like stepping back in time, plastics were naff , ergonomics poor and equipment wasn't great

but it does have full time 4wd 🙂

aghhhhh choices

AndyRT
    Free Member

I've got the 3l RN Outback Auto, it's been totally fantastic in the current weather. No low range, but tiptronic and first gear got me down some nasty tracks in the snow! Very capable. Yet to get stuck! Great space and well buit, just very thirsty

fadda

Audi allroad is the only car of its type to make it round LandRover's test track, in auto guise, too. – might be relevant for OP's needs…

ski
    Free Member

Just noticed the new Impreza is now available in a Diesel, might take the folks round with a dead sheep to see if it fits in the boot 😉

Thanks for all the advice btw….

beamers

I have a 2.5l Outback (Petrol) on a 05 plate.

It has a low range box but the low range gears are not mega low like a low range no a Landrover.

Having said that though it does allow you to creep down hill in 1st gear (low range) on sheet ice.

tron
    Free Member

There aren't many (any) cars around with hi-low boxes now.

Auto and Subaru are likely to be the off road kings for cars as they both have proper full time AWD systems.

Your VW Syncros / 4mos generally have viscous centre diffs. Same goes for the XC70, Jag X type most likely.

That said, how bad are the tracks? FWD will do nearly anything so long as you're on some sort of a track

smiffy

Shogun Sport has Hi/Lo we use one to tow cattle off-road on the farm, nearest 4×4 to an family estate I've been in.

NZCol

I've had a 2007 Forester XS 2.5 petrol with hi/lo and we have a legacy 2.0r with Hi/lo. Extremely useful mainly for getting down stuff rather than up as it does let you crawl in ropey situations. They are perfect for ski field roads here in NZ, wide tyres sort fo work against it in snow a bit but we've never had either of them get stuck anywhere and its gone up and down stuff thats surprosed me. Both had the full 200/220mm of clearance at the front, forester had better entry/exit angles though. Not sure if the new ones (diseasle) have hi/lo though, i think the legacy and forester platforms both do a diesel manual with hi/lo from memory. We love our scobby doo.

jd-boy
    Free Member

Scooby, they do a Derv version now, meant to be a good motor, and Scoobys have H/L boxes, 5 speed dual range box

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Diesel family estate car with 4×4 & hi/low box?’ is closed to new replies.