Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Diesel Estate Car for 2k
  • butcher

OK, so in my 20 years of driving I have always had petrol cars. Never had any interest in diesel, and to be truthful, that’s the way I’d like to keep it. Better with the devil you know, etc.

But I’ve changed jobs a couple of times in recent years, and I’ve gone from doing around 9k miles a year, to 12k, and now I estimate I’ll be doing 15k easily (12k commuting). So even though I’m still swaying towards petrol, I’d like to know what my options are, in a field I’ve never really explored…

It doesn’t need to be uber economical. Currently averaging 35mpg and I’m happy with that. But I would like something with a bit of poke, and the petrol engines I’m interested in are borderline on the limit, hence my investigation into the dirty darkside. Something reliable. I prefer Japanese, though I know they’re not big on diesels. And ideally something I can fit a bike in without removing any wheels.

And what are the real world disastrous consequences of buying a 10+ year old diesel for someone who doesn’t mind diagnosing and spannering their own cars (within reason). I appreciate turbos are never cheap, but all this diesel specific stuff I have no idea about. Is it THAT expensive if you source parts yourself? Is it DIYable?

From what I can see, many of the cars I look at, the diesel equivalents appear no more expensive to buy at the pricepoint, and in some cases possibly even cheaper (Honda Accord for example). So I figure it’s purely a question of maintenance and reliability.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Mondeo.

monkeychild
    Free Member

VAG group wagon with a 1.9 TDI in it (Octavia would be my choice).

Bucko

Love my B5.5 Passat state. Feels like driving a Golf, 46-48mpg,

teethgrinder

Late Mondeo – 05-55 plate

butcher

VAG group wagon with a 1.9 TDI in it (Octavia would be my choice).

Just looked it up. Octavia 1.9tdi, 90bhp. 0-60 12.6 seconds. Passat 1.9tdi 115bhp?

I’m thinking at least 150bhp. Closer to 200 would be nice…

maccruiskeen

And what are the real world disastrous consequences of buying a 10+ year old diesel for someone who doesn’t mind diagnosing and spannering their own cars (within reason). I appreciate turbos are never cheap, but all this diesel specific stuff I have no idea about. Is it THAT expensive if you source parts yourself? Is it DIYable?

The consequence is mechanics not understanding the engine and failing to diagnose problems or throwing your money at the solution – its worth looking for an older example of the newer kids of diesel engines so that their foibles have had time to work their way into spannering folk law.

the 1.7dti /1.7cdti Isuzu engine (fitted in vauxhalls and some older Hondas) is among the older of the new-style diesel engines – has a few achilies heels but they are well known enough now that diy fixes and cottage-industry refurbed bits are common enough to google, self diagnose and often self repair. Even stuff like ECU’s keeling over only cost a couple of hundred for a refurb you can fit yourself in a few mins. In some models fitted with engine you can even read the diagnostic codes off the dash (after a sort of masonic handshake with the brake pedal and ignition key), google the code and find out what the code means (and what the code often really means too).

I’ve only used them in vans but the Merc Cdi engines are similarly old examples of new engines. Those engines don’t only turn up in mercs.

Bucko

£2k? 150bhp?…

My Passat 1.9 is 130bhp and plenty fast enough

butcher

£2k? 150bhp?…

Like I say, I know nothing about diesels. Plenty of petrols around offering that. I didn’t think it would be unrealistic..?

In fact I’m sure the Accord is around about that and lots of them going cheaper than the petrol equivalents. (edit: just looked it up. 138bhp, so a bit short. But still…)

craigxxl
    Free Member

Mondeo 2.2 tdci as standard 155bhp and quick remap and decat will take it just shy of 200bhp but over 400nm of torque. It’s a nicer place to be than an Octavia and as well. My Mondeo returned 45mpg on a mainly slow commute on congested A roads and motorway. Same commute in my Octavia VRS CR diesel is only 40 mpg in a smaller car. Long motorway trips in the Mondeo could reach 60mpg fully loaded the Octavia hasn’t gotten above 55mpg with only me in it.

h4muf
    Free Member

Honda Accord cdti Tourer.

140bhp
    Massive

Job done.

butcher

Mondeo 2.2 tdci as standard 155bhp and quick remap and decat will take it just shy of 200bhp but over 400nm of torque. It’s a nicer place to be than an Octavia and as well. My Mondeo returned 45mpg on a mainly slow commute on congested A roads and motorway. Same commute in my Octavia VRS CR diesel is only 40 mpg in a smaller car. Long motorway trips in the Mondeo could reach 60mpg fully loaded the Octavia hasn’t gotten above 55mpg with only me in it.

I’m listening.

But Fords are way at the very bottom of my list of preferences. I want to believe. But I fell for that when I bought my second one…

Bucko

BHP is less important in diesels but I’ll let someone else talk about that. The Accord estate is proper nice, I just couldn’t find one I liked in the short time I had

Northwind

Mondeo mk3, as new and as few miles and as good an engine as you can, would be my choice. It was! I got my 2.2 for IIRC £2200, it’s rough around the edges but it’s been a great car (it’s had some repair bills mind). About 8 and a half seconds to 60 in stock form, 155bhp easily remaps to 175 or therabouts with no other changes which still doesn’t break any records but is a lovely mix of lazy drivability and on-tap shove. (don’t fixate on the headline figure, the remap on a stock engine gives way better low end revs and a fatter midrange, power on a diesel you want to think about the area under the line on the graph more than about the height of the line. Mine is 190bhp with a decat and some other little tweaks- probably a little weak tbh but that gives it 330lb/ft of torque, almost enough to pull my dad out of a pub.

Costs basically the same to insure as the 2.0, is only slightly more to tax and has better fuel economy (well- it can do, it’s capable of pulling itself around with less revs if you let it).

Nothing wrong with the 130bhp 2.0 either to be fair. It’s not so much that it’s cheaper, it’s just that there’s a million of them out there so it’s a real buyer’s market, you’ll have tons of choice. Probably the best ones are the euro 3, 130bhp ones- watch out for the 115bhp, you won’t like it and it’s not much cheaper.

They do have pretty much all the Things Diesels Do though and at this price it’ll be up into mileage where faults are looming. Pre-2006 or thereabouts there’s no DPF at least and up to 2005 the EGR is a cause of bother, but bypassable (and the car will pass an MOT with it invisibly blanked, and with a decat)

My injectors all went between 95 and 115000 miles but a brand new one was only £160, the tools to fit are cheap and the software and hardware to recode cost me £6- considering all teh wailing on hte internet about it, it’s an easy job, you hear scare stories of spending £1500 for injectors alone, absolute madness. Turbo exploded at about 120000, refurb unit and gaskets etc set me back about £350 and a couple of days of getting rust in my eyes. (*) Mine is on original clutch at 130000, clock’s ticking there but so far so good

The basic car is still sound though- minimal rust despite that time I parked it in a loch, I did a full front suspension refresh last year after breaking a spring but tbh I could have just done springs. Exhaust flexi rusted through and a boost pipe popped but these are cheap and plentiful.

It’s a big car- doesn’t feel big to drive, in fact, feels lovely to drive, it’s a comfy place to spend time and it goes round corners and that. But when I come to park it, I’m aware of every one of its 4804mm- it’s wide too. Physically doesn’t fit in tesco parking spaces!

The VW 1.9 comes with various different power levels up to 130 IIRC and I gather it remaps well too. Though it’s a little revvier than the 130bhp mondeo. (which I guess, can be either good or bad- it feels and sounds a wee bit more petrolley) Very nice though. Octavia’s a smaller car mind, and the boot has an annoying lip on the edge, daft way to build an estate and hurts the usability a bit. When I was shopping, octavia diesels seemed a bit more expensive. Both cars have great user communities and knowledge bases, and parts availability.

(* those with long memories might recall I destroyed the original refurb unit and had to replace the core- but that was my fault not the car…)

craigxxl
    Free Member

I swore I’d never own a Ford again but after a weekend spent test driving many estates including BMW 3 and 5 series, Audi A4 and A6, Vauxhall Astra and Signum (don’t ask) and a Toyota Avensis the last car I drove reluctantly was the Mondeo at the insistence of the sales man. He knew which car I was going to buy and it was the Mondeo.
    It is the longest I’ve owned a car at 9 years. I replaced an EGR after 2 years of ownership, 30mins and £75 job to do. It was fine until I sold and still runs perfect now as I sold it to my mate. No electrical issues, cam chain so belts to change. Rear wheel bearings were changed at 85k miles but I think I destroyed them with over 400kg of bags of sand in the boot. Full service including fuel filter using OEM parts was less than £100 and I could do in around an hour.
    Try and get a Titanuim X or Ghia X over an ST tdci as they are better equipped without the price premium. If you’re going to go the remap route then upgraded front brakes to Focus ST ASBO brakes is an easy upgrade.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Rover 75 estate. Very boring very underrated

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I had a very nice A6 quattro 2.7 tdi 187bhp (just looked it up) not sure I’d be spending £2k and looking for 200-ish bhp though

dannybgoode

Citroën C5. Boot the size of an ocean, cheap to buy and run and MUCH more reliable than rumour has it.

jeffl

Accord has a weak clutch so budget for a replacement if it’s not been done. Think it’s about £500 – £800 as its a ball ache of a job. Mine started slipping at 140k. Also may need a new DMF which is probably a few hundred extra.

butcher

Accord has a weak clutch so budget for a replacement if it’s not been done. Think it’s about £500 – £800 as its a ball ache of a job. Mine started slipping at 140k. Also may need a new DMF which is probably a few hundred extra.

Yeah, things like that are a bit off putting. I think it was an old post from this forum I seen where someone was selling one with a slipping clutch at 125k miles… Any big costs like that would offset any benefits in fuel savings straight away. It still wouldn’t cost any more in the long term….but I think I’d rather pay a bit extra in fuel each week than be dumped with a big repair bill at probably the most inconvenient time.

OP I had a very nice A6 quattro 2.7 tdi 187bhp (just looked it up) not sure I’d be spending £2k and looking for 200-ish bhp though

Maybe I’m being optimistic expecting power and economy. Loads of massively fast petrol motors around for that price. But some of the quicker diesels aren’t all that economical. Thought maybe I’d find a happy medium. Not looking for anything hair raising. Just not something completely dull.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Just bought a Saab 9-5 3l TDI for a grand. 2005 plate, 180 bhp i think, plenty of space. Lovely car.

moonboy
    Free Member

I have an 02 plate B5.5 passat estate 1.9 130. Bought it as a stop gap nearly three years ago for a little over £2k.

It’s very boring but very amazing. Everything works, even the heated seats and with 6 speed manual it’s an armchair cruiser at up to 50mpg. Usually get mid to high 40s on a longer journey.

It’s not bitten too bad, couple of suspension bits on top of normal servicing in that time. Now on 173k and feels like it’s got plenty left. Would probably only get £1k for it now.

Kept it because to get something much better would have to spend a hell of a lot more.

Find the 130 quick enough to punt around the UK.

Mondeos seen to offer similarly cheap motoring.

Will miss it when it goes!

Best boring car evah etc

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Diesel Estate Car for 2k’ is closed to new replies.