Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Died too young…….. (Lamborghini content)
  • legend
    Free Member

You can actually hear it’s pain 🙁

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqpa1HB-wOc[/video]

coffeeking
    Free Member

Fairly sure I’d have been running into nearby properties trying to get hold of fire extinguishers or water or anything possible. Poor thing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If that’s Central London, my cock’s a kipper.

Shame about the car, though.

Lifer
    Free Member

Was gonna say how much does an extinguisher cost?

+1 on the shame.

legend
    Free Member

If the fuel line’s gone then it would’ve made little difference

maxsatnav
    Free Member

third party insurance only 🙁

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Proper scarey how quickly vehicle fires take hold.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Moral of the story, don’t stop in a one way system 👿

Or insure you P&J properly, still hard to watch though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

60s Italian electrics you say?

At least there was power!

CountZero

Heartbreaking, I always loved the Miura. What a loss.

Tom83

Oof!

Rubber_Buccaneer

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    If that’s Central London, my cock’s a kipper.

If it smells like a kipper and tastes like a kipper…..whereabouts in central London is that?

jonahtonto
    Free Member

nasty, vehicle fires are terrifying, the speed with which they gain momentum is astonishing. my dad set fire to a pajero i was fixing up for a trip to mali and within minutes you couldn’t get within 10 ft of it. unfortunately it was in my mates garage at the time. no-one was hurt luckily but everything alloy in the garage was gone and anything glass was all in pools on the floor after the heros had sorted it out for us

scotroutes

That’ll T-Cut out though?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Water – on a fire with petrol in it? Oooooft… Not sure I’d be recommending that coffeeking.

lemonysam
    Free Member

If it smells like a kipper and tastes like a kipper…..whereabouts in central London is that?

It seems to be Acton, stretching the definition of ‘central’ a bit…
    https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=51.52044,-0.261612&spn=0.031136,0.079222&layer=c&cbll=51.520378,-0.261657&panoid=dqjUZBEqKdfmj5_v5MIt7A&cbp=12,189.48,,0,17.25&t=m&z=14

Northwind

glupton1976 – Member

Water – on a fire with petrol in it? Oooooft… Not sure I’d be recommending that coffeeking.

The fire brigade seemed to think it was a good idea 😉

My wee extinguishers wouldn’t put a dent in that fire tbh.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I didn’t recommend anything!

I would naturally already have an extinguisher present if it were my car. if not though I would risk investigating as fast as possible and identify whether it was more likely to be fuel or electrical. Many older cars suffer electrical fires, which I would be happy to drown in water, urine or anything I could get my hands on practically! 🙂

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Water – on a fire with petrol in it?

I didn’t think water was advisable on magnesium fires either.

bigrich

yes it is, it’s amazing. just watch your retinas.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Won’t make a jot of difference in that sort of fire, especially not long before enough heat got into the wheels/parts to ignite. As you can see, even five minutes into the blaze the wheels are fine. plus the car items made from magnesium are generally made from mag alloys anyway.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

sounds like the Icey turning up at around 55 seconds

imnotverygood

That’ll polish out.

althepal

Hmm, remind me to fit proper cut off and an extinguisher into my next old mini!
    Shame that, seen a fiesta go up in similar fashion once- when the petrol cap went there was a nice 10 foot jet of flame.. Glad I stayed we’ll back!
    Did I hear one of the guys saying it was smoking a bit when he was driving? Wtf would you not have pulled over immediately and checked it out? Apart from/because of the fact it’s an old Lamborghini obviously..
    Was that an ambulance crew spectating for most of it? They’d have had a couple of powder extinguishers in their wagon..

andytherocketeer

Water – on a fire with petrol in it?

Sadly I know of one fire department that did this. Put a small fire out at the explosives manufacturing business of an acquaintance, by negligently pumping as much water in to the building as they could, ignoring hazmat that they were fully aware of. Fire dept. said everything’s fine – staff can go back in to office to collect belongings, but explosives are was out of bounds. Then were called out again 30mins later to put out massive magnesium fire and retrieve 6 bodies.

The black powder in similarly vast quantities was unscathed. And that stuff lights and goes BANG! very easily indeed.

Shame about that car 🙁

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_s-49rNCdw[/video]

Brother_Will
    Free Member

The miura was always notorious for setting fire to itself which is one of the reasons there so rare these days.

Most are taken very good care of these days and Im sure the cars self immolation was nothing to do with with the fact it was being filmed by these guys. http://www.youtube.com/user/TaxTheRich100

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I seem to recall that magnesium alloy wheels have been banned from (some?) motorsports because of the fire risks.

bruneep

Was that an ambulance crew spectating for most of it? They’d have had a couple of powder extinguishers in their wagon.

Do they have BA? I’d never sent any of my guys/girls to deal with a car fire without BA on so many nasty fumes given off with theplastics and rubber seals that are burning.

They also need to sort out their inner cordon and get limit who is in it, I’d have told mr camera man to get way back.

boltonjon

It’s painful watching that – like watching a litter of kittens burn – so wrong 🙁

bigrich

my mates brother in law can get loads of magnesium swarf from his works. throw on camp fire and pour beer on it for amazing fun!

althepal

I wasn’t for a second suggesting that they don BA and yellow firey hats, rope in a scene safety person and set up inner and outer cordons whilst gamely tackling the fire (you’d need at least 2 tender’s worth for that?)just that they could have poss been utilised in the early stages, perhaps by the owner?
    It did make some sad noises though didn’t it?
    Must have been a pita for the fireys getting past all that stationary traffic- that kinda thing gets on my wick sometimes..

bruneep

So what would’ve happened if there had been a small explosion and they had been injured? “Why were you putting out a fire without the correct PPE and no life risk”

These are the times we live in now, no life risk why put yourself or others in a dangerous situation. There could’ve been any number of nasty chemicals carried within the car, small gas bottle etc etc. I’ve seen it too many times.

Oh always check the boot for a body. It has happened.

althepal

Like I said above- not suggesting they fight the fire, just they might have had some means to fight it in its very early stages.. Haven’t suggested that they would even do so!
    Have deliberately not walked into smoke filled tenement close before due to the risks posed- DRA, CYA etc..
    Mind you, the fact I have asthma and I could see some of your colleagues tearing along the road from half a mile away might have had something to do with it too..
    Risk to life? Thankfully I’ve not really had to make that decision yet in my career. Not had to deal with any crisp ones yet either. (Phew).
    By “they being utilised” I meant the extinguishers, not the crew.

FuzzyWuzzy

Copious amounts of smoke coming off that, poor car 🙁
    I liked the fire hose going under the car and in the flames at 4:30 and the guy standing in the fire shortly after, I guess the hose and trousers are both pretty fire retardant…

Lifer
    Free Member

My extinguisher comment, as althepal’s, was about having one to hand within easy reach so it can be smothered in powder long before it has a change to take on anything. Entirely possible he did have one of course!

Had a ride in Delta Intergrale once (which was fantastic), that had about 15 extinguishers secreted about it’s person!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Died too young…….. (Lamborghini content)’ is closed to new replies.