Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Didcot A power station appears to have fallen down
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-35641766 for us engineering types to question what has happened

STATO
    Free Member

Terrible incident but glad the BBC have finally changed the title from the slightly alarming “Explosion at power plant!!!!!!!” (exclamation marks writers own).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yup. I was working next door and didn’t hear a bang, just the noise of half a big building falling a long way to the ground.
    Theyre blowing up the turbine hall next month but I doubt any charges are being laid yet.
    I’m amazed they are only saying 1 dead, a LOT of stuff came down,

matt_outandabout

I presume it was part demolished or stripped out from the nearly clear site?

project
    Free Member

There will be a huge number of underground service tunnels and ducts along with water flumes, possibly somebody just overloaded a floor above one

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Still another year to get the site clear. They did blow the side off the turbine hall autumn/winter 2015. Remaining towers go mid summer, big stack end of the year or next spring depending on who you talk to.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Daily Mail has a video, with what sounds like an explosion… Then again it could just be the noise of the building falling

STATO
    Free Member

Daily Mail has a video, with what sounds like an explosion… Then again it could just be the noise of the building falling

Id guess one floor falling onto another might make a bit of a bang when it weighs that much.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Id guess one floor falling onto another might make a bit of a bang when it weighs that much.

Jet fuel can’t melt steel beams!

Dibbs
    Free Member

When my power station closed in 1984 Didcot was one of the transfer options I was offered, in the end I went for the closer (nuclear) option, looks like I made the right move after all.

mikemorini
    Free Member

Turbine hall was demolished last year. What you can see in the pictures is the boiler house. it was due for blowing down in the next couple of weeks. They’ve been clearing out the ground level and were, I believe, starting to set the charges. Working next door (B site) we’ve got to know a few of the demolition team, so this has come as a real shock. sadly I fear we’re in for more than the one, so far reported, fatality.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Oddly enough I am meeting a demolition contractor at Chester tomorrow morning to price and plan taking down a 7 storey office block for us. There are over 1000 people still sat in it tomorrow so expect some strange looks!

C

matt_outandabout

Jet fuel can’t melt steel beams!

*dons tin hat*

*Awaits Jive’s arrival on the thread*

sergethesealofdeath
    Free Member

just had a look at it from my works window, That’s a lot that fell down, the building scale is just massive!

project
    Free Member

Oddly enough I am meeting a demolition contractor at Chester tomorrow morning to price and plan taking down a 7 storey office block for us. There are over 1000 people still sat in it tomorrow so expect some strange looks!

[quote]

old tax office empty,

uni block just got refurbed, and now falling apart, panels missing from front,

not aware of any other 7 storey blocks in chester

scotroutes

Capital House (Lloyds Bank)?

project
    Free Member

[/quote]Capital House (Lloyds Bank)?

Ha working opposite there today, hoole lane, what a waste of a nice building, do the silly parkers who work there know theyre going to be demolished

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Didcot A power station appears to have fallen down’ is closed to new replies.