Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • did you have a favorite teacher at school?
  • racefaceec90

who’s lessons you always looked forward to.

although there were a few good teachers,would have to say mr lee from my secondary school (st augustine’s rc comp in trowbridge) who taught chemistry.
    he was always interesting to listen to when he was teaching and also a patient/kind teacher also.i wasn’t the sharpest tool in the box,but he always had good things to say about my homework e.t.c i enjoyed science anyway (all of the sciences taught). also loved the experiments with magnesium sulphate strips into a test tube of potassium permanganate (i think?).he’s push the test tube into some sand,then give us all these purple squares of glass to watch as he lit the strip 😀 also the experiment where he heated some water in a tin was always good too (the lid would explode into the ceiling,you could see the marks from previous times it had been done 😆

also had respect for him as he always did the london marathon/he showed us the medals he got for completing it.

MoreCashThanDash

Definitely.

For a variety of reasons……

Northwind

My mum was out the other day and a woman said hello and “Aren’t you Andrew’s mum?” 25 years on and Mrs Harvey’ll still recognise parents of one of her thousands of pupils and stop and talk to them in the street, that’s ****ing awesome and but it’s still just a tiny part of what made her my favourite primary teacher.

I bought my best high school teacher a pint a while back, bumped into him in the pub. He did history and was one of those guys that could just make it real, he also did a lot to basically save my higher history after I made a complete cock of the first 6 months, I passed with an A which pretty much got me into uni, where most teachers would have written it off I think.

We had a nice chat, then at the end he suddenly asked “Did you get home alright?” Because in ’96, he came to our 6th year prom as a guest, got absolutely rat-arsed, lost his sword (because he’d come dressed as a confederate cavalryman), fell off a roof, decided to come with us all up town, then when I got a little the worse for wear said “**** it, you’re not my pupil any more, I’m off clubbing” and left me to it. Now THAT’s teaching, none of your Waterloo Road pish here.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Yes, I also got invited to her wedding! I didn’t go as it would have been awkward. Not just because she was my teacher 😉

No one teacher inspired me work wise, I got that inspiration by hearing my step dad comment on how I would never amount to anything more than a bin man!

Micropaleontologist actually, biach!

slowoldman

Gerry Isherwood, Metalwork. Wonderful man.

Edric64
    Free Member

Favorite ? .I didn`t go to school in the USA

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Jim Fisher – inspired me in so many ways and I can’t recall a single lesson in Geography or Geology which I didn’t feel fully engrossed in.

He was also an epic adventurer and pretty handy photographer and inspired me in both these directions as well.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Mmmmm, Ms Butter, yeah!

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Miss Grainger of “Living In The Iron Age” fame, a 1978 documentary.
    Awesome lady.

Trekster

Miss Bell,art teacher. A mature teacher, granny figure she managed a very difficult class of 20 odd boys very well. Took an interest in me when I showed interest in calligraphy.
    Miss Davies our maths teacher, still speaks when we meet in town. No idea how old she is now, I’m 60?
    One of our engineering teachers who’s name escapes me atm! He left to become a head teacher at a new secondary school. We had a whip round and bought him some fishing tackle, he was speechless!!

Last but not least my daughter 😆 MrsT is speaking to her as I type. She has just got home from work(primary school teacher)having started an after school arts class which she has acquired funding for through her membership of the arts association. Her school is in an area with mostly “disadvantaged” kids(and parents!)
    She has also acquired an animation programme for the ICT class from the same source. The ICT teacher is over the moon 😆

yetidave
    Free Member

I have a couple of favourites at my girls school just now… 😆

househusband
    Free Member

Yup.

Some twenty-five years after I last met him I looked him up when I was last back in my home town and told him that he was one of the reasons I had, in my late 30’s, become a teacher myself. I was chuffed to bits that he remembered me and said that era was his best years in the profession.

It was memorable and, for me, quite emotional.

racefaceec90

Favorite ? .I didn`t go to school in the USA

apologies it’s the bloomin spell checker.damn you americanism’s 😳

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

As a fresh faced 13 year old I had a teacher who had just returned from Canada and was sponsored by Brodie.
    As a kid obsessed by bikes that made him somewhat of a hero to me.

freeagent
    Free Member

I have a couple of favourites at my girls school just now…

Same here… 😉

toppers3933
    Free Member

Mr Carter. Geography gcse and a level. Great teacher. Always got on well with him. Found out just after I left he had a bit of a breakdown. Tried to get in touch with him to tell him what an amazing teacher he was and what a difference he had made to me. Never did get hold if him. I sent a message through another teacher that I hope he got.

garage-dweller

I was taught by a selection of incredible teachers and there were barely any who didn’t inspire me to learn.

I had a particularly gifted chemistry teacher who revolutionised how I learned generally. He was also an accomplished sailor, mad fast on his hybrid bike and completely mad in the labs (in a good way). In the unlikely event you went to a small private school in Suffolk between about 1985 and 2000 or so you will be in no doubt who he is.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes for the variety of reasons, we had a german teacher who would pick up stuff you dropped off the front of your desk. My german isn’t that good.

Garry_Lager

Had a superb chemistry teacher, Mr Stockdale. Became a chemist so feel like he set me on the right path, although he didn’t deal in big, inspirational visions. He was extremely rigorous and demanding in a school where that was far from the norm, and seemed to have the ability to set standards and expectations for everyone – weak or strong.

I teach a bit myself (at a university) and it’s so easy to teach the strong kids, so much harder to persevere with the weaker / disinterested. It’s like a mental step you have to take to believe in your students.

I saw him at Goodison a few years ago and had a bevvy with him after the game – good to have the chance to say what an exceptional teacher he was / is.

JulianA
    Free Member

Mr Bob Evans-Teush, Bitterne Park Middle School (mid to late 70s), Mr John Crosby (Maths), Mr Dave Scott (French and ornithology), Mrs Barnett (Geography) and Mr J P Stocks (English Language), all at Bitterne Park Secondary 1978 – 1982.

Mr Stocks was a prisoner of the Japanese in WWII, and if we didn’t fancy an English lesson we asked him about that. To my shame I can’t recall anything hat he old us now. It must have been exceedingly hard for him that one of our set books was ‘A Town Like Alice’

chewkw
    Free Member

did you have a favorite teacher at school?

Nope.

andytherocketeer

several Maths Teachers – one taught us Contract Bridge, Craps and Cribbage in class (although I’d played cribbage since age 10 anyway), and another taught stockmarket trading in A-level pure maths.

1 PE teacher – loathed PE/Games at the time, but was the only teacher I’d bump in to in the street and have a chat with, but that was when I was at uni, and he quit being a teacher and became an aircraft pilot trainer or something instead.

wiggles
    Free Member

The french one that leaned over my desk in a low cut top

WillH

Well, there was Miss Young, GCSE geography…

Academically though, Mr Whitney (maths) was a great teacher, he somehow managed to inject humour into maths which kept it interesting. He was good at drawing perfect-looking circles on the board, and every now and again would accept challenges from one of the students to see if we could do better. He drew some geometric shapes on the board one day towards the end of GCSEs, said it was a joke, and that he’d tell the punchline to the A-level maths class. I’m sure the reason about half of the class went on to do A-level maths was to find out the punchline. He was also a cricket fan and would turn a blind eye to one or more of the lads sneakily listening to TMS in class as long as they periodically called out the scores.

And then there was Mr Barnet, our GCSE science and A-level physics teacher. He looked like the offspring of Wurzel Gummage and Einstein, always wore the same black suit (covered in random chalky fingerprints and chemical burns), fluoro yellow & lime green striped tie and a white shirt. Always. He could throw a tiny piece of chalk at an errant pupil with such force that it would scratch the workbench. To demonstrate inertia and momentum he used to take four pupils at a time to do laps of the car park in his car at speed and doing random emergency stops. When he retired he didn’t show up at his own retirement party. Someone even set up a web page dedicated to him, back in the very early days of the web. Prior to exam time at the end of the year, when most teachers would end the last class by saying good luck, or similar, he used to say “I don’t wish you luck, I wish you justice”.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Miss Node the French teacher with the blouses…

Or Mr Maloney – English lit. The reason I wanted to be a teacher. He was inspiring. He’d had a really interesting life, teaching around the world and hadn’t lost his passion for teaching and poetry even though he’d taught for 40+ years. His last ever lesson before retiring was my A Level class. At 3:45 he said, “thank you everyone. Good luck. Now I’m going to f^&% off, drink beer, get stoned and read Keats in the garden. Heaven.”

NZCol

Yes including a rather foxy one that i bumped into a few years after i had left school when she ended up in the ski school class I was taking. Ha ha yes you can teach a teacher a few things 😯

cheers_drive

Mrs Collis our French teacher. Usually wore sheer bloses with lacy bras, it played havok with my teenage hormones. However I remember her classes best from the missed timed cough I did in a French exam to cover up a fart. Friends still laugh about it 25 years later.

angeldust
    Free Member

No. Hated them all equally.

jag61

DCM dont come mondays Mr Maund taught us metalwork was ok with usual teenage lad BS found it amusing when kids would hide in the inspection pit or pin others to workbench using the vices, Sid Dickinson woodwork and Tech Drawing, would send kids to the out of bounds cafe for his cheese roll, always carried a 1/2 ” dowel never used it, always had rollup in the corner of his mouth in a dusty wooden workshop/giant shed.
    I ended up teaching DT.!The rest were the usual bunch of misfits and ex army types it was 1970s

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘did you have a favorite teacher at school?’ is closed to new replies.