Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Did you cycle to work today?
  • mboy
    Free Member

I rode to work today yes… On this…

In my defence, weather has been crap recently, it hadn’t been started in over a week because of that, and weather looks like it’ll stop all forms of play on it until the spring very soon, so I took the opportunity. Besides, going out on the MTB tonight anyway…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Don’t really see the point of cycle to work day – people who cycle to work will anyway, and people who don’t, won’t!

I’m pretty sure the whole point is to encourage those who don’t to give it a go! Even if a very small percentage start doing it regularly then that’s a good thing.

monkeyboyjc

No, I walked through the threshold form my house into my shop…..

alric
    Free Member

looks like I’m riding to work then…

cookeaa

I didn’t one other person did in our office, who will probably not cycle to work again until the next ‘cycle to work day’… I think a free breakfast was involved.

The weather was dicey today and I need to be home earlier tonight so I tin boxed it… I still cycle in more often than anyone else in my office at the minute does…

Much of the ‘office banter’ seems to have been along the same old anti-cycling line today anyway, not sure that’s really the aim is it.

TBH if we need a special day to promote the rather straight forward activity of riding a bicycle to your place of work, I can’t help thinking we’ve sort of missed the point…

DezB
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the whole point is to encourage those who don’t to give it a go! Even if a very small percentage start doing it regularly then that’s a good thing

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work. Lack of publicity is one thing.
    If no-one in your company’s HR dept is interested in cycling, then it just gets ignored… like here, a company with a very good culture of sports & social – have seen nothing about cycle to work mentioned.

smashit
    Free Member

Yep, same as every day. The bike shed at work had all the same bikes as usual in there and I didn’t notice any extra bikes on the way in.
    +1

+2

woody2000

The weather was dicey today and I need to be home earlier tonight so I tin boxed it… I still cycle in more often than anyone else in my office

Me too, though the “get home earlier” bit tends to be 50/50 TBH!

crazy-legs

Our Cycle to Work day has been moved back a week to Sept 20th because of the weather. We were right in the middle of Storm Aileen. It’s torrential here at the moment and the wind overnight was awful.

I didn’t ride in as I had to drop the car at the garage so today was always going to be a train journey in.

Trimix
    Free Member

I drove in the van but have a Jeffsy and Capra in the back. If I sit on them at lunchtime that counts, doesn’t it ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nope, considered the likelihood of setting a PB with the 20mph tailwind this morning, against the abject misery of having to do 26 miles into the same headwind this afternoon.

Mister-P
    Free Member

If no-one in your company’s HR dept is interested in cycling, then it just gets ignored… like here, a company with a very good culture of sports & social – have seen nothing about cycle to work mentioned.

I work for a bike company and found out from facebook 🙁

funkrodent

Ironically (in the loosest sense of the word) didn’t today as needed the car for work. Did yesterday though. And the day before. And pretty much every other day. So I’ll forgive myself..

prawny

I knew it was coming up but didn’t realise it was today.

Rode in anyway, always do. The wether had cleared here by 7am so it was quite a nice ride in for a change

tenfoot

I aimed to, but got defeated by man-flu

sirromj

Yes as usual. Realized season has changed to the season of daily morning headwinds.

bakey

I did… but then again my house to the office on the Isle of Man is 9 minutes by bike… 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Aaaaaaaand then it rained… 🙄

I work for a bike company and found out from facebook

Same! 🙄

blader1611
    Free Member

Sadly i have no work to cycle to so i decided to ride for an hour starting from my garage but sadly i didnt really get anywhere as i forgot to take the turbo trainer off the back wheel.

ianbradbury

Six bikes in the shed, rather than the usual 2 or 3. Croissants provided for breakfast. Showers and drying room as usual. An actual bike friendly employer.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nope, I’d love to but it’s just not practical.

3 miles across town to take 3 year old to Nursery, then another 3 to the office. Then 10 down to a meeting for an hour, another 25 to another meeting and back to the office.

I carry a laptop and a couple of books, plus today a massive rack mounted server and of course a small child.

maxlite
    Free Member

All set up to do my usual commute….but weather was horrendous and first 2 miles is through woodland, pitch black and fallen trees means no!

hooli

I didn’t know about it until this morning, was it advertised somewhere that I have missed?

ajf
    Free Member

Yep, also organised a free breakfast for anyone else who cycled paid by our work.

No-one new cycled in, was the same old people who cycle every day, just this time we got free pastries, fruit, fresh juice and coffee.

colin9

I did, and found out about Cycle to Work day when I arrived. Of the four regular cycle commuters nobody else cycled in today. Blustery but a bit of sun so not a bad morning for it down in Cornwall. It sure beat the soaking on the way home last night anyway. As an idea to encourage more cycle commuters I think it needs a bit more work.

lunge

No, wind was crap and today was an allocated run day. Will do tomorrow and likely Friday though.
    I maintain, as I did last year, that it’s the wrong time of year. Anyone who does do it and like it will now have a winter to look forward to, do it in May and they have 3 or 4 months of summer commuting to build the habit.

benp1

It would make sense to do this in June or July

There’s more light and it’s warmer, and it’s on the run through summer where the odd person might be minded to continue it

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

But doing it today gives them a more typical UK cycling day, rather than experiencing “fair weather cycling” in June. 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You wouldn’t have to cycle along the A34 Trimix!

And you’d have been able to claim a free breakfast from the Cafe on the park, although you may as well just go and claim mine as I register for it and then forget… every time.

I passed a couple of people I don’t normally see cycling today, they’ll find out about headwinds this afternoon.

DezB
    Free Member

I didn’t know about it until this morning, was it advertised somewhere that I have missed?

Nope, they just email the people who have taken part previously. Quite amusing really 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

assuming i get out of here in daylight should i

a: go my normal route and blast along with a tail wind.
    b: go and explore an interesting route that i nicked off someones strava

STW decides.

It would make sense to do this in June or July

I started this job on the 2nd january, started riding on the 3rd. Was the best year for cycle commuting as it got warmer and lighter for the entire winter. It was crazy wet too – i remember several times arriving and emtying my shoes down the toilet bowl!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member
    thomthumb
    Free Member

Hang on – it’s your route ❗ (i think) did you comment on my ride & tell me to fix the elevation on monday? Fat bike in your profile pic?

I didn’t know you could fix that! Cheers.

DezB
    Free Member

b.

for me it would depend on what I had planned for the evening!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Hang on – it’s your route (i think) did you comment on my ride & tell me to fix the elevation on monday? Fat bike in your profile pic?

Yep, guilty as charged! 😆

My relatively new Lezyne Super GPS gives me odd elevation data most rides, but especially in the rain, I now use the Strava correction option every time I use the Lezyne.

Will look out for your ride later on the STW Strava club https://www.strava.com/clubs/singletrackworld-com-forumites

uselesshippy
    Free Member

No, as I’m currently unemployed. But I did go out on my proper bike, does that count?

letitreign
    Free Member

Yes, arrived windswept, muddy but with a grin on my face (took to the tracks so not as many boring roads, didn’t feel like I was going o work either) not looking forward to the headwind this evening though!

parkesie
    Free Member

Had to drive today. Can’t mot the car with it on the drive. Was thinking I couldn’t have picked a better day 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yup.. just got over the man flu in time for five days of Portland and Puddletown. Would have been rude not to ride. Like I do every day of the year as we have no buses in the village and I hate cars.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Yes, because I always do. I do try to put some pics on social media mainly to remind other people. Quite windy but only a light-ish shower as I got to works so it could have been worse. Couldn’t find anyone doing free coffee/breakfast this year which was quite disappointing 🙁

Anyway, it looks like they’ve extended it because of the weather, so I’ll be cycling to work tomorrow too 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Did you cycle to work today?’ is closed to new replies.