Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Did you brave it tonight??
  • carlos
    Free Member

Myself and a few of the Monday night crew peddled round Macc Forest, it was wet, windy, muddy, slippy, tough on the climbs and it rained. BUT it was fun, we all finished smiling, soaked and covered in mud, nobody crashed and the beer was great (as always in The Church House) it’s great to be able to get out in such shitty weather and still have great ride.

Sat at home now showered, fed and with a beer watching – I am Evil Knievel ( crazy barstool!)

sambob
    Free Member

Sat at home in Whaley Bridge now and you’re a braver man than me, it’s chuffing horrible out there.

jodafett

I managed to put the bins out!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I went swimming instead. My snowflake buzzer and light in the car came on. IN JUNE.

andy8442
    Free Member

Nope. Just got a new bike today and was desperate to get out but not a chance! It’s the wind that does it for me. I can put up with everything else but high wind is a no no.

jam-bo

I walked the dog to test my new jacket. Goretex Pro is awesome.

jeffl

Not today but I’ve fitted mudguards onto the commuter for tomorrow’s trip into the office.

hairyscary

Yep, finished night shift this morning and decided I would cycle in to work tonight. I’m feeling pleased with myself that I did because it was sodding grim.
    Oh, and the wind is due to change direction so I have a headwind tomorrow morning as well!

carlos
    Free Member

Mmmm, maybe the title should ask if your ‘stupid enough to ride tonight’ . No matter the weather you can guarantee that you’ll not be alone on a Monday night. Just the draw of a great pint, crisps and banter at the end of the ride is enough to drag me out. Feel good for doing it but as I was donning the wet weather gear, I was thinking WTF think it’s June FFS!!!

fin25
    Free Member

Went out for a 20 miler this afternoon in full winter/waterproof gear. Got soaked, muddy and nearly got blown off my bike about a dozen times. I hate wind. Mud and rain less so.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I cycled home from work then did an hour on the turbo.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yes. Commuted home. Showered, ate and then cycled to the pub. Was a bit blowy and moist but …

MoreCashThanDash

Cycled home last night. Wimped out of this morning, but not that bad here in the East Midlands this morning. A lot of branches down.

xc-steve
    Free Member

I opted to trail run last night with the wife who wasn’t keen in the slightest until I mentioned I’d bought cookies at lunch! Don’t normally notice how much the forest moves about when its properly windy! Am all set for a ride post work today wether should have cleared though but doesn’t’ make my commute in any dryer hmm.

gee
    Free Member

Windy 3hrs roundd Swinley last night but managed to avoid the rain.

rewski
    Free Member

I never ride in June

nickc

Nah, I did have the excuse of some work I could get on with, but if I’m honest, when it’s like it was last night, I always imagine having to explain myself to the local emergency services if I have a bad off.

jam-bo

Don’t normally notice how much the forest moves about when its properly windy!

since a tree came crashing down about 20 yds from me in windy weather once, I tend to avoid the woods when its properly windy…

simmy
    Free Member

No.

Went to the gym instead. I wasn’t open but there was an open evening with free food and loads of gym bunnies lurking around so I’ve had worse evenings 😀

cokie

I went out for a 2 hr spin. Headwind all the way back along the river 🙁 .
    For some reason my wrist is killing today! That’ll teach me..

rOcKeTdOg

18 miles, half of it into a headwind, pretty Belgian conditions for June & supposed to be Windier this afternoon.

igm

20 mile commute home.

Rain was grim but for half the journey… stormy tailwind 😛

Gary_M
    Free Member

I rode 20 miles home from work, 12 miles of which is across an exposed moor.

Conditions were pretty appalling. It was so bad a nice chap in a corsa stopped to offer me a lift over the moor, I declined as I’m not a quitter. At that point I was leaning at a 45degree angle trying to stay upright whilst steering left to go in a straight line. When I turned full on into the wind it was a bit of a battle. It was akin to being at say mid storm.

My hands were numb, my feet were numb and even after a very hot shower it still took me about an hour to warm up. It was 7degrees, 6pm 1st June. Mayvember just ended, welcome to Juneuary.

I could have phoned my wife and asked her to pick me up I suppose but where’s the fun in that.

My rapha hardshell jacket is a seriously impressive bit of kit, 80 minutes in torrential rain and I was bone dry underneath.

I went swimming instead so did I, well it felt like it 🙂

Dekerf
    Free Member

I am heading out in it tonight, wanting to try out the new CX bike

Looking pretty wet and windy here currently and weather forecast says it will continue all day

Not sure i want to take a new bike out in this weather for the first time, but it was designed for much worse, and it has to get dirty at some point!!!

iainc

Conditions were pretty appalling. It was so bad a nice chap in a corsa stopped to offer me a lift over the moor, I declined as I’m not a quitter. At that point I was leaning at a 45degree angle trying to stay upright whilst steering left to go in a straight line. When I turned full on into the wind it was a bit of a battle. It was akin to being at say mid storm

+1, had to put the wipers on full and pop the heated seats on going up the 77 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

+1, had to put the wipers on full and pop the heated seats on going up the 77

Must have been hell 🙂

I’d still rather have been out than in though.

iainc

🙂 😆

jeffl

Well cycled into Sheffield today. Will head home in a southerly direction this afternoon. I’m expecting to have to lean into the wind a bit.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Did ~18 miles last night on my new Whyte T-130, mostly a shakedown ride plus fiddling with suspension settings but fun anyway.

Route was round Marwell zoo near Winchester so under the trees for the most part, did consider heading tonto the SDW at Cheesefoot head but it was blowing a hoolie by 21:00 so just headed home.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I put the kids to bed, ordered a curry and sat down to eat it with wine and Game of Thrones. Personally, it was a much better way of spending an evening than being out in ‘that’.

binners

Not a chance! I abandoned the usual Monday Night Pub Ride. As did everyone else, but 3 of the mentalists went out in it. They need sectioning the lot of them! For their own protection

I stayed in and whipped up a culinary storm instead. Black pudding stuffed, bacon-wrapped chicken breasts, with sauteed new potatoes and asparagus, with a Roquefort sauce. Lovely it was too. As I was pouring the wine, listening to the biblical rain and wind batter the windows, I thought how much better it would have been to be outdoors

tomaso
    Free Member

Just the commute home in the wind and rain, but I did get a puncture 1/2 mile from home and trudged through the rain to home pushing my bike as I didn’t see the point sitting in the rain trying to fix a puncture.

trailhound101

I wimped out and as if that wasn’t bad enough, was shamed by Mrs Hound who did her regular commute as normal 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

Glad I used the car today, it’s windy enough here to blow trees down, just watched the fire brigade extracate two OAPs from their tree flattened car! 😯

leftyboy
    Free Member

The guys I ride with will ride in just about any weather provided we’re not riding solo, we take the view that riding as a group allows for some safety but solo means you might be putting the rescue services at risk if it all goes pear shaped.

Mind you our usual trails around Winchester aren’t highly technical but severe weather does up the risk somewhat.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Did you brave it tonight??’ is closed to new replies.