Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Did Wiggo really struggle…
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…on The Struggle* in stage 2?

Read in the paper that he walked a bit of it and blamed (!) too many G&Ts post Rio

He could have borrowed by triple – the granny would have helped him up nae bother

*top of Kirkstone

Edric64
    Free Member

He was taking the mick ,was off the bike for about 3 steps

epicsteve
    Free Member

Definitely looked like he was just having some fun.

scaled
    Free Member

I only saw the photo but i was assuming that he was taking the piss out of Chris Froome running up Ventoux

jamiep
    Free Member

He did say yesterday that his track vs road weight was a factor. Currently at 82kg rather than 69kg

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

i dont have a twatter account so have seen no details

FWIW, i prefer the struggle to the bottom climbs – at least you are near the top!!

ninfan
    Free Member

I think this explains all:

[video]http://youtu.be/54UJrlbPmDA[/video]

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That makes more sense – a wiggo piss take!!

Thanks for clearing it up ninfan/edric

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

LOL at ninfan clip, Froome urine extraction of the year! 😆

slowjo
    Free Member

He didn’t look in any trouble there so I go with the piss take conspiracy theory! 🙂

igm

Wiggo really is a bit of a prat, isn’t he?

davidjey
    Free Member

Wiggo really is a bit of a prat, isn’t he?

I know right? Having a bit of fun/giving the crowd something to cheer at the non-pointy end of a bike race, what a prat.

Daffy

I’m not sure it was a pisstake. Just having a bit of fun for the crowd.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say he was taking the piss out of froome, having a laugh yes, taking the piss no.

ctk
    Free Member

Definitely a planned pisstake. He is a prat but a loveable one.

ctk
    Free Member

Yes taking the piss but in good humour, not being nasty.

simmy
    Free Member

He had it planned all the way up the climb I reckon.

Wiggo’s just loving this week, he was in one of the last groups up the climb. I was about 100 m from the top and he seemed to just be cruising up. Some of the other riders who were giving it beans looked really in pain.

He had a cheeky grin when he passed me and he had completed the climb and was on the flat when he jumped off and ran. In my opinion, it’s a froomey Mick take and don’t believe anything he says this week.

Not disrespectivley, he’s just in daft mood hence the G&T comment.

scud
    Free Member

He’s in his last few events of what has been a long and very varied career, after this i think he is just doing London and the Ghent 6 track events, so basically the Tour of Britain is his “victory lap”, a chance for him to personally thank and have some fun with the crowds in his home country.

Personally, I don’t get the Wiggo hatred, saw some Facebook page and it was nothing but abuse.

How many cyclists in the modern era have excelled in such a wide variety of cycling events, he won a Grand Tour dropping large amounts of weight to do so, excelled on the track at Team Pursuit and holds the Hour record by a good margin, has been one of the best time-triallists and then can come top 10 in the one day classics like Roubaix, then come back to win gold at 36 years of age at the Olympics, constantly changing his training regime and physiology to do it, often doing it with his tongue wedged firmly on his cheek and with a certain style?

In addition, how many of the modern cyclists have sought to form their own team to provide track and young riders a road career and act as a filter to World Tour teams, whilst putting finance into the Wiggle- Honda ladies team and seeking to form his own ladies team?

Yes, he can be a clown, but i think he has done a lot of British cyling, and whilst i do like Chris Froome, he is a bit of a one trick pony?

RoganJosh
    Free Member

He’s a class act, what other cyclist in the last 20 years has been so diverse?

Tour de France win
    Top 10 roubaix
    5 Olympic golds (3 different disciplines)
    Multi discipline World track Champ.
    ParisNice, Romandie, Dauphine, California, Britain.
    World TT champ
    Hour Record
    Now going out with 6 days.
    Jonathan Ross

Legend. If you love Froome and hate brad, then honestly, just jog on.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Well said Scud.

Brad’s just enjoying himself, and it’s very well deserved.

For the first time in over 20 years racing, he was able to get off and walk because he wanted to. He’s waited a long time for that moment.

rosscore
    Free Member

^This +1

ctk
    Free Member

Love Froome, Love Brad not sure why people feel the need to take sides.

Wiggo has acheived a lot but its just his cycling style that gets me. He came past me in a TT stage somewhere outside Bordeaux and it was breathtaking, properly awe inspiring!. (Yes there was wine involved)

spawnofyorkshire

Was properly laughing when i saw this earlier 😀

I think both Wiggo and Froomey are funny blokes in their different ways. Froome is usually all business in press conferences but has a very dry sense of humour and his team mates obviously like him.
    Both are marmite personalities but i like them both

steve_b77
    Free Member

Being at the start in Congleton yesterday, it doesn’t matter how well he’s riding, when his name is announced the place just erupts.

He is the household name of British road cycling to Joe public, it’s really a rather nice situation to be in as a country.

Regardless of what he did, there are hundreds of not thousands of non cyclists out there who love him and it can only improve the image of the sport.

edhornby

Wiggins won the Romandie, Paris-Nice, dauphine, Tour de France and Olympic gold in the same year; most pro’s would hope to have that many in an entire career

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Did Wiggo really struggle…’ is closed to new replies.