Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Did we do this? "Spectacular" wedding photo
  • molgrips
    Free Member

This was on the Guardian today, some art critici complaining bitterly about bad art and using this photo as an example:

What do you think of this picture?

momo

Bit overdone for my tastes, but it’s not my wedding photo

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They look doomed

Harry_the_Spider

Looks like a poster from a Michael Bay movie.

aP
    Free Member

I’m sure it’ll look lovely blown up to 2m wide on the wall in their dining room.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not actually a planned wedding photo – the guy was just taking photos of the scenery and the couple appeared being snapped by their photographer, who is presumably out of shot.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Newcastle has never looked better. Howay the lads! 😉

lemonysam
    Free Member

Newcastle has never looked better. Howay the lads!

Looking up the river. Must be Gateshead!

hels
    Free Member

(When did they build a replica Sydney Opera House in Newcastle ?)

I think its utterly vom and about as fun as a Vettriano postcard.

But then most weddings make me want to throw up. Take the bride and groom out and you might have something.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s a pretty horrible picture but has the photographer even offered it up as ‘high art’ maybe it’s just a picture?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think it’s probably a bit over-dramatic for a wedding photo – but **** the critics, wedding photos aren’t generally meant for some gallery expo for whatever the balls, tell him to wind his neck in and go back to pissing about with the usual mindless balls they call ‘art’.

lemonysam
    Free Member

(When did they build a replica Sydney Opera House in Newcastle ?)

I think the sydney opera house is just a half finished Sage.

stumpy01

molgrips – Member

It’s not actually a planned wedding photo – the guy was just taking photos of the scenery and the couple appeared being snapped by their photographer, who is presumably out of shot.

This. It was some bloke who was out doing a time lapse thing when he saw the bride & groom having their pics done & got in on the action. He posted it, it went viral & eventually got back to the bride & groom.

I think the main part of the story is that it looks like a much better picture than the one taken by the official photographer that they paid AUS$ 1600 for.

I like it, in a ‘could do with Optimus Prime somewhere in the background’ kinda way….where’s Jamie when you need him….

nedrapier

Depends. As a piece of art in it’s own right, not really my cup of tea. And I don’t know who’d want a print of a couple on their wedding day on their wall if it wasn’t them or they knew them pretty well.

On the other hand, if it was your wedding, you were near there, and that sunset happened, and the photographer who you’d paid to take photographs that day refused to take a photo of you with the landmarks of Sydney and the sunset in the background on the grounds that it would be “bad art” … ?

midlifecrashes

Weddings tend to be a bit messier in my family.

edlong
    Free Member

Now that ^^ is spectacular…

seosamh77
    Free Member

You would think while they were tattieshoping it they would have thought to have fixed the over exposed bit clouds at the sun.

That’s my first criticism, not the only one! 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

If he’d only waited a minute the photo would have looked more like this.

Bad timing, eh?

nedrapier

You would think while they were tattieshoping it they would have thought to have fixed the over exposed bit clouds at the sun.

I think the highlight is too far gone

Not heard tattieshopping before. Like it. 🙂

nickc

Blue-Orange trope

Hateful, once you start seeing it in photos you can’t un-see it, it’s every-bloody-where

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

hmm, I prefer

molgrips
    Free Member

I think the picture itself is a bit ugly, but what I can’t stand is wedding pictures where the couple take themselves to ridiculously inappropriate places for photos. All I can think is ‘wtf are you doing out there dressed like that?’ It’s almost an exercise in purposeful incongruity. Stop, it’s ridiculous.

Seen plenty where the couple are out in fields of cows. I mean seriously, wtf? Unless you are a farmer and they are your cows, and you were married in your house.

finbar
    Free Member

Do I respect it as a piece of art? No (though I’m no photographer, and whoever took it certainly has a degree of skill)

Would I want a photo like that of my wedding day? Hell yeah!

beanum

Our wedding photographer (an amateur who went pro a couple of years after our wedding) won a prize for this photo:

Photo Credit: Magnus Bogucki

Cougar

Blue-Orange trope

Hateful, once you start seeing it in photos you can’t un-see it, it’s every-bloody-where

Exactly my thoughts. Orange & teal.

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

nemesis
    Free Member

I quite like the pic in the op. I am not a designer/art critic/designer FWIW 😉

Mind you I wouldn’t have chosen it for my wedding pic but given the way it came about, I’d have been happy enough if it had happened this way.

zbonty

I went to a mates wedding in Sydney and there were some photos in a park on the way to the reception just as the weather turned.
    Some close up photos of the happy couple….next to the park bogs!

batfink
    Free Member

I can see my flat in that photo 😀

Very popular spot to get married that (not just for photos) – the jetty on the harbour, not my flat

DaRC_L

It’s a snap, a great moment if you’re either the photographer or the couple.
    Mind you what is art…?
    Is the Grauniad in a position to define what’s good/bad as opposed to like/dislike.

rone

It’s better and more interesting than most wedding pics. I also how it says to me the marriage is doomed, just from the clouds.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is the Grauniad in a position to define what’s good/bad as opposed to like/dislike.

The Guardian art critic is in a position to say what he likes and doens’t like. It’s his job, in fact.

onandon
    Free Member

Myself and my wife were married at the base of the Grand Canyon. We flew around until we found a nice location and did the ceremony.
    We were lucky as there were bush fires so 30 mins later and the helicopter wouldn’t have been able to take off.
    Lots of pics like this 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Michael Bay meets Athena.

if youre getting daft, do it properly

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Here in Edinburgh we have seen the phenomenon that is the latest trend in Chinese Wedding photography, where the couple travel to far flung locations to have shots with famous landmarks etc, before the wedding. Then at the actual wedding they show all the pics after the meal, or whatever. So we have lots of young Chinese couples in the full bhuna outfits running around the city centre getting photographed. Sadly the curmudgeonly asshats at Historic Scotland don’t let people take photo’s in wedding dresses on the Ed Castle esplanade, unless they hire it out… it’s a fn carpark ya fannies!

tomd
    Free Member

The first pic is a bit unsettling. If it’s genuinely a wedding pic then everything about it doesn’t make sense.

If it’s trying to make some deep statement about the façade of modern weddings set against a back drop of decadent capitalism and brooding unrest then it might be on to something.

bencooper
    Free Member

The Guardian art critic is in a position to say what he likes and doens’t like. It’s his job, in fact.

Is this the same Guardian art critic who opined that all Terry Pratchett books were rubbish, without actually reading any of them?

lemonysam
    Free Member

A lot of people on here’s sentiments about marriage suggest that this version might be more appropriate:

molgrips
    Free Member

Dunno. However, many Terry Pratchett books are in fact rubbish. Not all of them though.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Is this the same Guardian art critic who opined that all Terry Pratchett books were rubbish, without actually reading any of them?

Waily, Waily, Waily! Whit’ a Scunner!
    Bigjobs Art Critic, we got a cheap lawyer and we’re no’ afraid tae use him wi’ extreme prejudice.

scuttler

Was walking over Westminster Bridge a couple of weeks back and a wedding couple with a photographer opted to lie down in the admittedly empty bus lane (WTF) and have a photo of them and the big clock tower thingy. Only unmarked plod happened to be going the other way – cue unexpected wedding photo of them getting a talking to by the Met.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Did we do this? "Spectacular" wedding photo’ is closed to new replies.