Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Did my first race today… alors…
  • timb34
    Free Member

That was quite an experience.

I’ve been meaning to have ago at racing for a while, but due to one reason or another missed all of the small local races over the winter here (here being down near Montpellier).

So I signed up for the second leg of the “Offroad Challenge” : 38km, later measured to be 41, and I finished with 43 on the counter… a single long loop through the hills near Nimes. Loads of singletrack, some freshly cut and a pretty good atmosphere. Mostly confirmed fast racer types, a few guys like me just having a go and even a handful of people on tandems which just looks nuts.

It was pretty much as I expected. Everyone went off like a rocket, but had spread well out by the time the singletrack arrived. The course wasn’t really that technical, certainly none of it was as hard as some of the spicier sections on the local “Randos” that I’ve done. However, staying in the red for over 36kms seemed to make up for this. At the 37th kilometre I was struck down by the most amazing double-thigh cramp that I have ever had. Both of the inner bits (looking down) just above the knee mutinied at the same time. They swelled up to about twice the normal size and locked both my knees backwards. I just had time to stuff my bike into the bushes and grab a tree. For what felt like an age but was probably only a few minutes I could do nothing except rub my thighs and whimper “Crampes” at all the people who I’d worked hard to keep ahead of as they glided past. I couldn’t even sit down and stood there wondering what to do. Eventually normal size and some flexion returned and I could stretch out and then get moving. The final 6km were very slow as I had no power for the climbs, or the flats and just hung on for the descents.

Thinking about it, I suspect that it’s just a lack of specific training that got me. I ride a fair bit, and have no problem going out for a few hours, but at an easier pace. Today was the first time I’ve ever gone so hard for over two hours without stopping.

Interesting though – a completely different experience to my normal riding. I might do another some time. Maybe a shorter one.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Cool! Except for the cramps bit.

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

That sounds like an identical experiance to when I did the Grizedale challenge a couple of years ago, although it was freezing and I punctured twice. The cramp is just killer!

ocrider

Ooh another local, should’ve guessed by the 34!

Timb, you did the balcons de Vaunage? Hope it wasn’t too muddy, we were off on our hols for a week and came back to this strange place that was overgrown with lush and green stuff. I’ve never seen it like this down here before!

As for cramps in the thighs, I can sympathise.
    I get them whenever I’m not bike fit or if I’ve had a whiff of booze within 48 hours of a 35k+ ride, like the Jacou rando when I was the only fool who dared to go the morning after a friend’s 40th!

mogrim

Could also be dehydration + lack of salts, be easy not to drink enough when you’re redlining it…

Probably over-exertion/lack of fitness, though!

timb34
    Free Member

Yep, Balcons de Vaunage it was. Some of the guys over on VTT34 are slagging it off a bit – I can see how it would have been a really crap rando, but it seemed quite a good race. Everything they’re saying about the start/finish area being weirdly spread out and void of any kind of atmosphere was right though.

It was muddy, especially in the second half, but there don’t seem to be any vineyards up on the Vaunage, so we didn’t get sent through any clay-rich wheel-clogging hell.

Wasn’t the Jacou ride quite muddy? I missed it this year. Might make it to St Croix this weekend, but probably for one of the short loops with the kids.

For the cramps, I think you’re both right – mostly unfitness with a touch of dehydration. Seem to be OK today though.

ocrider

Yeah, Jacou was comical in places. I’m guessing that there wont be much risk of a drought this summer, but I was gagging to get out and glad I did. Being caked in mud isn’t so bad if you’re also getting sunburnt simultaneously 8)

We may well be doing the family thing at Ste Croix too on Saturday, so if you happen to hear some Brit/Irish accents on the 10K circuit say hi!

ocrider

Yeah, Jacou was comical in places. I’m guessing that there wont be much risk of a drought this summer, but I was gagging to get out and glad I did. Being caked in mud isn’t so bad if you’re also getting sunburnt simultaneously 8)

We may well be doing the family thing at Ste Croix too on Saturday, so if you happen to hear some Brit/Irish accents on the 10K circuit say hi!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Did my first race today… alors…’ is closed to new replies.