Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Did I show you my Eagle? (Space 1999) content.
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

When I was 7 or 8, I was a massive Space 1999 fan, and for Christmas that year got a Transporter Eagle. Cue some months of zooming around with this thing in my hand, as you do at that age.

And then one day it went missing. Couldn’t find it anywhere. And then some time later, I found some smashed parts of it lying in the back garden, with some bricks nearby…..

The culprit was my youngest bro; I reckoned that he’d dropped it from an upstairs bedroom (trying to see if it flew- he was only little), wrecked it, then tried to completely eradicate it by dropping bricks on it. Despite my ’70s torture sessions (it was a different age) he always maintained innocence.

But it turns out it was him (I forgave him years ago), and to make amends, he got a chap to 3D print an Eagle and then painted it.

I am now (or for the rest of today, anyway) Eagle 1.

maccruiskeen

And then one day it went missing.

It probably wound up here

I think the Eagles were some of the best Sci fi design everrr.

Bit of sci fi trivia I wasn’t aware of til recently…

This is one of the early designs for Han Solo’s space ship

While they were in prep for Star Wars the first episodes of Space 1999 started airing and it suddenly became apparent that the design was far too similar to the Eagle. So they had to completely redesign it and thats were the name came from – A Falcon rather than an Eagle – and 2000 (the millennium) rather then 1999.

sandwicheater

That is cool. Can i have a go?

lazybike
    Free Member

I had that green van thing that fired a rocket…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

that’s pretty ace!
    i had the transporter with the detachable cargo pod thing when i was a kid, no idea where it went- in theory it could still be at my parents’ house. i also got an airfix type model kit one year, that was about 2′ long when built.
    definitely in my top 5 sci-fi spacecraft designs.

Cougar

I had a couple of Angel Interceptors. It was years later that I found out they were from Captain Scarlet, at the time I just thought they were cool.

You’ve done a good job with that, impressive.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

I had that green van thing that fired a rocket…

this? it was from UFO (and also great)…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

I had a couple of Angel Interceptors.

me too. more favourites of mine!

zippykona

Open the wounds you bloody bastards!
    I was saving up for a space 1999 transporter but it was taking too long so I blew my savings on a squirmal.
    The dog ate it within an hour of getting it home.

lazybike
    Free Member

No…the one I had was a van shaped thing with a rocket that came out the roof…same colour though 🙂

codybrennan
    Free Member

sandwicheater – Member
    That is cool. Can i have a go?

No probs. You can take the commander’s seat, I’ll be co-pilot.

It still looks functional, like it could conceivably be of use in space; the only thing that used to concern me was the view from the cockpit, that always seemed restricted.

codybrennan
    Free Member

This is yours, lazybike:

codybrennan
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    Open the wounds you bloody bastards!
    I was saving up for a space 1999 transporter but it was taking too long so I blew my savings on a squirmal.
    The dog ate it within an hour of getting it home.

Sorry. You can have a shot too, after sandwicheater comes back.

lazybike
    Free Member

Found it, it was SHADO 2 from ufo…thats it up there, damn my useless IT skills..:)

maccruiskeen

Found it, it was SHADO 2 from ufo…

How many bikes can you fit in the back? And is it classed N1 or M1 on the V5?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Love the ski-fi graveyard, maccruisken, cheers for that. Interesting to see how much the SW designs altered too.

lazybike
    Free Member

How many bikes can you fit in the back? And is it classed N1 or M1 on the V5?

🙂 No room inside as the rocket took up all the space…on the plus side, it fired a rocket.

Del

nice model that!
    these days this is an eagle though:

Cougar

Oof, that’s badass. What’s that from?

zigzag69
    Free Member

WHERE IS THE LIKE BUTTON?

zippykona

I nearly bought a house in Alpha Road and was going to call it Moonbase Alpha.
    Shame it was subsiding.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Del – Member
    nice model that!
    these days this is an eagle though:

Love it 🙂

Elite Dangerous?

teasel
    Free Member

Excellent nostalgic thread. Had that awful metallic green thing from U.F.O. Also had some strange Captain Scarlet truck where he popped out of the side door. Had a few Thunderbirds die cast things, too. All very heavy metal objects that, after a slight discussion as to who was going to be the good guys, found their way to becoming rather dangerous weapons when launched at a head.

Nice bit of trivia, Maccruiskeen. That last pic shows that weird cockpit that made it onto the final design, albeit with an afterthought-esque bolt-on type affair. Suddenly it all becomes clear…

T1000
    Free Member

Fantastic at last 3D printers proving their worth!

codybrennan
    Free Member

T1000 – Member
    Fantastic at last 3D printers proving their worth!

Totally. I want a Star Fury now!

footflaps

We had an Eagle as well as one of these which fired yellow torpedo discs:

spursn17
    Free Member

Also had some strange Captain Scarlet truck where he popped out of the side door.

Spectrum pursuit vehicle…

Captain Scarlet vehicle

It was really heavy and you could do some real damage to the other kids toys with it.

I had the Shadow green flying van thingy from the UFO TV series, loved that show but I saw a rerun and it looked weird when they are in the submarine and puffing away on cigars! 😀

T1000
    Free Member

The makers of the Thunderbirds managed to include the body and nose of a space 1999 Eangle into one of the vehicles in an undersea episode

TiRed

Does it have suspension feet like the original? I suspect your brother was testing this feature.

codybrennan
    Free Member

It doesn’t unfortunately Tired. I think you’re right about the testing 🙂

Del

yep – elite dangerous

Cletus

I had a Dinkey Eagle too but could never understand why the cockpit and feet were green. I think I painted them white iirc

jamj1974

Love your Eagle and I really enjoyed Space 1999.

shermer75
    Free Member

I thought that all of the Elite ships were named after snakes?

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Always wanted the terrahawks ships. Loved them!

Del

they used to be. not no more, apparently. :shrug:

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I think the ‘string vest’ for the women in space 1999 held an attraction for me 😀

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Was more of a Buck Roger’s fan,( esp. Col Wilma Deering) can remember what the ships were called.
    Oh, and Blake’s 7. 8)

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

mogrim

Bit of sci fi trivia I wasn’t aware of til recently…

This is one of the early designs for Han Solo’s space ship

The basic design was then used for the ship transporting Leia and the Droids at the beginning of the first episode:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Did I show you my Eagle? (Space 1999) content.’ is closed to new replies.