Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Did I just hear that correctly – "Christ might have had a wife."…
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

….WTF?

Enough of the fairy stories please – heard this on ITV news.

druidh
    Free Member

Some old piece of manuscript – yet to be dated – makes reference to Jesus having a wife. It’s not really big news as there are other references already. This one is maybe a bit older though.

By “fairy story” are you suggesting that the character called Jesus didn’t exist?

andrewrchambers
    Free Member

He’s been smoochin with everybody

yunki
    Free Member

Jesus had a bike too

glupton1976
    Free Member

I wonder if it was a christian ceremony.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jesus had a bike too

SS 29er fatbike, IIRC

rudebwoy
    Free Member

yep Mrs Christ to you

TheFlyingOx

Christ had a wife, you say? Pfffft. Some scrawl on an ancient bit of parchment isn’t proof of anything.

Oh, wait…..

somafunk

Jesus had a wife?, If i was the son of God i would’ve flowered my seed far n’ wide, who’s going to tell you off?….you’re the son of God for christs sake! (see what i did there?).

mrmo
    Free Member

Nothing that new, if you look in the Gnostic texts plenty of suggestions that the later celebate priesthood might not be that acurate a reflection of the life of jesus.

If you do the dates born, disappears for decades and then reappears as a preacher.Do you really think he led a completely celebate life? or maybe he lived as his Jewish peers did for most of his life.

Just to clarify, i do think there was a bloke called jesus and he was a good story teller, i just don’t believe he was the son of god or any of that crap.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

As a 30-something year old Jew of the period, it would have been almost unthinkable for him not to have been married but this doesn’t fit with the accepted Christian theology.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

he was on good terms with the sex workers of the period, purely platonic i’m sure

munrobiker
    Free Member

He certainly did. Sawed her in half and everything after the “water into wine” skit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

For the time it would have been stranger to have been unmarried
    the Holy blood and the Holy grail claims he was married
    I think it is certainly possible as he was not the son of god so he probably did get married.
    We will never know for certain though and frankly i dont care as the bible is still bobbins [ largely though the New testament is pretty good in general]

mikey74
    Free Member

They have found Roman records that refer to a character called “Jesus”, who was considered a trouble maker. I think there is little doubt that the person existed; it’s quite a leap to go from a name in a manuscript to the son of a mythical god, though.

Oh, and as others have said: I think it would be more shocking if he wasn’t married, given the culture he was brought up in.

Northwind

Courtesy of Bikeradar, here’s a link to the BBC website story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19645273

The quote from Pastor Jim West is just marvellous:

“A statement on a papyrus fragment isn’t proof of anything. It’s nothing more than a statement ‘in thin air’, without substantial context.”

PS the bible is the word of gaaaaaaaaaawd!

rudebwoy
    Free Member

it’s quite a leap to go from a name in a manuscript to the son of a mythical god, though.

Conspiracy theorists would find that pretty straightforward, nuff nonsense written about it

Mackem

anyway, Peter took “Christianity” and remodelled it into some sort of scared-of-women roman religion thing.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Thought it was Saint Paul who was the mysoginist?

Mackem

aye, maybe, `I knew it began with “P”

porter_jamie

SS 29er fatbike, IIRC

epiphany surely?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

job psalm 113 part 2— dub version, mixed by prince jammy

Cougar

They have found Roman records that refer to a character called “Jesus”

Isn’t that a bit like saying we’ve found a 21st century manuscript saying there was a character called Dave?

Mackem

Did Jesus have his own TV channel?

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Yes, Paul took a little-known Jewish sect and turned it into a global brand that still pulls in the punters to this day.

Early Christian thinking was so varied & diverse that it needed to be ‘standardised’ to make it suitable to be the official religion of the Roman Empire. Some of the original message probably got lost during this process (? including the fact that Jesus was married).

mikey74
    Free Member

Isn’t that a bit like saying we’ve found a 21st century manuscript saying there was a character called Dave?

Pretty much. My memory may have altered things a little, but I found this:

”Evidence”

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cougar Not really I think the poster means we have independent Roman records that suggest jesus was real[ ie the religion, had followers, was worshipped, died at the had of Pontius etc] rather than just someone called jesus once lived
    Some of the criticisms seem a tad unfair tbh and the conclusion is just someone who has decided whatever the evidence

In view of the evidence the only honest conclusion is that the Gospel’s Jesus never existed.

Pretty much most of the history of that time [ as much was oral tradition is just heresay] and the same goes for early British history such as king Arthur and druidhs in general etc.

Evidence for 200 years ago will not really be of sufficient standard for a court case but that alone does not mean it is also untrure
    same evidence different spin

mikey74
    Free Member

That’s why I put evidence in the quotation marks, as it doesn’t really prove anything, it’s just the type of information that I remember regarding the existence of a real character at the time. However, as you say, hearsay is pretty much all the evidence that exists: Couple that with a good game of Chinese whispers and you have the gospels.

druidh
    Free Member

Oi!

Cougar

I think the poster means we have independent Roman records that suggest jesus was real

If that’s true, it’s way bigger news than whether he was married or not.

mikey74
    Free Member

If that’s true, it’s way bigger news than whether he was married or not.

No it’s not: Jesus was a very common name in that region at the time and, as I said, it’s quite a leap to go from a trouble maker to the son of god. However, that link I posted suggests that a character referred to as “christ” was known to the Roman officials around the time Jesus was supposed have existed.

yunki
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Academics are reassessing how Jesus may have lived, after discovering an early text book in a school in Bermondsey.
    Depicting Christ with heavy-framed glasses and a moustache similar to Hitler’s, the father of Christianity is also revealed to have borne a penis on his forehead ‘of generous proportion’.

More on the reverlations
    😉

ojom
    Free Member

The biggest story ever in the history of the world and human kind and there is still no real provable evidence any of it actually happened and millions still believe it.

Amazing scam this christianity stuff. Seriously. If it actually happened we would have hard evidence a bit like everything else. Things that weren’t made up that it is.

stewartc
    Free Member

I heard he also drove around town on a Yamaha

legend
    Free Member

yunki
    Free Member

legend – Member

Holy chart and stuff

woooooooooooooahhhh

that is a kerazy coincidence..!!

God is going to be LIVID when he finds out.. this makes him look a right ****..

it’s kind of normal though I think.. My son has the same birthday as his Uncle so I guess that sort of thing happens with gods and that too innit..

Trampus
    Free Member

He was just a naughty boy.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjiaHB-zdVU[/video]

somafunk

I tend to treat folk who say they believe in God in a similar fashion to how i treat folk of a right wing persuasion, smile sweetly at them till i begin to formulate a cohesive argument then realise i don’t want to appear nasty or upset them so i look at my imaginary watch on my left wrist exclaim – “God!….. Is that the time? – got to go” and walk away or just turn round and carry on as usual., Works great in the pub with drunken right-wingers as they just stand there for ages expecting you to turn back round – they’re quite easy to confuse. I’ve never really met a God-believer in the pub though and i’ve not been to church since Primary 2 (1978) and decided it wasn’t for me so i walked out and went home to sit on the doorstep till my mum came home from work, she didn’t mind, “It’s all bloody nonsense” as she told the headmaster the next day, and she still reminds me of my rebellious streak 34yrs later…….that’s a lie bout church actually, i’ve been for weddings n’ funerals but now’t else and when i pop my clogs my body’s signed over to medical science and they can have fun wi it.

chewkw
    Free Member

Dear Leader treats all equally and fairly … they are all maggots. Yes, maggots!

Yes, Dear Leader steps on them and squashes them like melons.

Follow the wisdoms of Dear Leader or else …

😈

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Did I just hear that correctly – "Christ might have had a wife."…’ is closed to new replies.