• This topic has 52 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Did diesel kill the family sized petrol car? …… (Sorry cars again)
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

allthegear – Member
    39mpg out of a diesel? Is it broken??

Seriously, I was getting that average out of my 180bhp twin charged petrol Fabia VRS.

Rachel

Its not really fair comparing the millage you get out of a tiny, light petrol car with 180bhp with a really quite heavy big diesel estate is it….

my 159 had an egr issue, so I had it blanked and is now at 170bhp, improved efficiency a bit, but like Kryton, when driven with spirit, its around 40pmg, when driven with care, i can get it up to nearly 60

also, I bet you drive like a girl 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

That’s with “enthusiastic” driving, making use of all of the rev range in low gears. My Alfa is very heavy, with air conditioning running and whatnot. I couldn’t hope to get anywhere near 39mpg in my old 2 litre 147 without sticking to dual carriageways.

On a motorway run, I can get north of 55mpg at a steady 70mph without difficulty. The best I ever attained from my 147 was 45mpg, at a steady 55mph…the minute I left the dual carriageway and switched to urban roads would result in the economy plummeting.

@the 159 owners in the thread

I’ve heard about the EGR issue, which can apparently be fixed by a £10 piece of aluminium from eBay. The general consensus is that this mod actually improves MPG and power, but is there an issue with emissions and MOT?

Sui
    Free Member

My new beemer is shi.t on mileage, 520D Touring Msport. My older Saloon was so much more frugal. Still, it has many more toys and i only drive enthusiastically occasionally when on some “lanes”, M’way (90% driving) is dull 60-70mph.

But for scare stories – i agree with diesel that do constant short low mileage journeys they suffer. If they’ve lived a life of motorway like my last car, everything will be fine for many miles.

Likewise, Petrol cars, good for small intermittent journeys, then when big ones are needed the offset on fuels costs (not at the moment mind) outway the engine type and potential short service intervals.

Sui
    Free Member

for those that are capping off EGR’s and de-cating -please don’t we are supposed to be improving air quality, not making it worse because we want a few more BHP/Mileage. Fine if you go and get a re-map done to off-set but i bet most don’t.

Solo
    Free Member

I was informed, earlier this week, that DPF removal is now an MOT failure.

Yes, personally, I’d not remove as they are there for a reason. But it would seem the “option” has now been taken away.

Might be worth while ensuring any car one might buy, still has a DPF fitted.

Sui
    Free Member

yes been a failure for a few months now, though in practice the examiner will only look for the “can” and if present will pass it, most just have straight through “cans” now with the gubbins removed, same for CATS. Also most cars have undertrays which MOT testers wont touch, so you’ll often get an “advisory” notice.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fine if you go and get a re-map done to off-set

How would you do that? Retard injection timing? I’m sure no remaps do that…?

molgrips
    Free Member

If I weren’t towing a caravan occasionally I’d be looking for a petrol hybrid every time. Best of both worlds, and very reliable. Well the Toyota ones are at least.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Don’t forget there are plenty of quick dervs out there these days – the 330d courtsey car I have did averaged 27 when driven enthusiastically. Best I managed was 46. Not bad given it had the same 0-60 as the E46 M3.

I think petrol cars are pretty unloved in this country because everyone is obsessed with CO2 and what they pay in VED. Even more so if it is petrol and a biggish engine. We picked our 330 up for buttons compared to the derv version…it does drink a bit of fuel round town but will return 30-odd on a run.

molgrips
    Free Member

the 330d courtsey car I have did averaged 27 when driven enthusiastically. Best I managed was 46

Straight 6 innit – more cylinders = more drag in the engine.

Solo
    Free Member

I’ve a 3ltr, V6 diesel A8. On a warm day I can get 50mpg, cruising on the M-way.

Sui
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Fine if you go and get a re-map done to off-set
    How would you do that? Retard injection timing? I’m sure no remaps do that…?

it’s possible to an extent to chnage the mapping which will ultimately change the burn characteristics, if you do this post EGR/Cat/DPF replacement it could help, but not completely. It would however affect your MPG figures.

Drac

potential short service intervals.

Yeah those 18k services are a real pain.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Did diesel kill the family sized petrol car? …… (Sorry cars again)’ is closed to new replies.