• This topic has 43 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ART.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Did Autumn just sneak in?
  • matt_outandabout

Cold, wet, red berries and leaves turning up here. Last three days have felt like summer just used the exit…

CountZero

It’s been autumn all chuffing year!

flip
    Free Member

Had to scrape my car this morning*

* might not be true..

martymac

its certainly been a good bit cooler the last 3 or 4 days.
    not cold, but cooler.

falkirk-mark

Yes it went straight from spring to autumn

anthonyb
    Free Member

First thing i though whilst taking the dog out this morning. Chill in the air, wind seems colder, really feels like the end of another (rather non-existent)british summer

Time to fire up the woodburner….

Weasel
    Free Member

Yep, got the long sleeve jerseys out of storage last weekend as the night rides are getting a bit nippy.

Edukator
    Free Member

Swimming in the sea at 22°C yesterday and we have all the windows open at present to cool the house down. It’s still very much summer in SW France then.

zbonty

I want a refund.

We woz robbed

footflaps

I’m still in shorts (and I’m not the hardy type by any means), so it still must be summer(ish).

Karinofnine

Yes, I’ve noticed that autumny nip in the air on my evening ride home. It’s exciting, I like autumn.

br
    Free Member

Noticed autumn coming in on our Midsummers Day evening ride; thick fog and rain… but up here (Scotland) there is def. a nip in the air.

mtbfix

First ride of the year since winter went away that I had the questionable pleasure of getting feeling back in my toes, after 2 hours in saturated shoes, in the shower when I got home. Felt autumnal out but I’ll hold off putting the FS away for now.

stabilizers

Already commuting with lights. To be seen.
    Full lights by the end of Sept….depressing or just sad.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, in early June wasn’t it?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, yes it is Autumn.
    You can tell that by the fact that Cowes Week has finished, the kids go back next week, football is now playing every Saturday.
    But most of all…
    It’s that smell, the clean fresh damp cool tingle in the back of your nose, the one that smells of damp ferns and undergrowth, the dampness hanging for just a bit longer than you think it ought to. Those birds, you know the ones that wake you at 0330-0400 for the dawn chorus, well they are getting quieter and later..

Best time of the year, by far.

matt_outandabout

Oi, the kids have been back two weeks…

muckytee
    Free Member

Did Autumn just sneak in?

Sneak in – more like smashed the door down, kicked summer in the face and urinated in everyone’s shoes, then decided to stay.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The trees have started shedding their summer clothes and the evenings draw in bloody quickly now. Farewell summer, it was fleeting, but good

muckytee
    Free Member

I want a refund.

We woz robbed

I am afraid due to budget cuts, it was either the Olympics or summer, the government didn’t have the money for both.

druidh
    Free Member

IT’S still August and the Edinburgh Festival is only just drawing to a close, but the leaves on the trees are changing colour and starting to fall to the ground.

But despite appearances to the contrary in some parts of Scotland, autumn is not coming early.

Experts have explained that the occasional signs of browning and defoliation are just the result of the horrendous summer as wet and windy conditions – and the bugs and diseases which they bring – have taken their toll on the nation’s woodlands.

In fact, this autumn is likely to be late, though sadly that doesn’t guarantee an Indian summer in the meantime.

stumpy01

Yep. I reckon Autumn has made an entrance. Took my lights on my ride tonight (and yesterday) and definitely needed them towards the end. And a nip in the air once I got home.

Rubbish.

scruff
    Free Member

Coat on to walk the dog tonight.

restless
    Free Member

I am sat in my tent camping on the east coast and it is freezing tonight 🙁

cinnamon_girl

The blackberries have been rubbish. 🙁

glenh
    Free Member

Same as every other day of the spring/summer here today. Pissing it down.

labsey
    Free Member

Already commuting with lights. To be seen.

Same. I’m sure yesterday it was sunny til 11pm. Now it’s dark by 9 and had to dust off the lights to be visible.

Stoner
    Free Member

Just brought a load of wood indoors ready for the first stove light of the season. Have been chainsawing and chopping 6 tonnes for the coming season(s)

geoffj

Saw a gritter* on the M90 this evening on my way back from EDI 😯
    * wasn’t actually gritting.

CountZero

Signs of browning and defoliation? I took this three weeks ago:

My Acer is definitely trying to tell me something!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Anything but in Cornwall today, suits on for surfing admittedly but nice and sunny drying off afterwards on the beach!

Gorehound
    Free Member

Autumn hasn’t sneaked in at all it arrives on Saturday along with September the same as it does every year.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahhh yes, back on the south coast and the trains are delayed… Autumn is definitely here.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I thought we had swapped our Autumn for someone else’s Monsoon Season, torrential rain and thunderstorms yesterday, just ordinary rain this morning. Trails are going to be washed out.

retro83
    Free Member

My local trails never fully dried out this year.

Has anyone seen this woman?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Premature post, now back to monsoon!!

Rubber-Duck

I must be time for lots of ‘which are the best lights for’ posts 😆

(I fear I may end up one of the protagonists 😳 )

Coyote
    Free Member

It’s supposed to start around the 21st September on the Autumnal Equinox.

I’d agree with many of the above. We seemed to hang on to a particularly cold spring for an abnormally long time followed by an early Autumn. Summer? If it was ever here I missed it.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Has anyone seen this woman?

Why? Has she got your keyring?

sputnik
    Free Member

It’s here. Went for a ride on Tuesday with 8 friends. Left at 18.30. Halfway through the ride the lights had to come out. Only a couple of us had thought it wise to bring lights. We had to sheppard those without lights home with ours. It was interesting riding for them as the roots were rather wet too! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Did Autumn just sneak in?’ is closed to new replies.