Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Did anyone watch Charley Boormans Extreme Frontiers last night?
  • dogbert
    Free Member

Just wondering.

I watched it but for the life of me can’t decide whether I liked it or not…..I almost feel like it was designed to make me hate him somehow

igm

I think he had fun making it. I’m not sure I had fun watching it.

On the other hand he’s fatter than me in a wet suit.

Pembo
    Free Member

Just seems like a lads bladder up across Canada with a 30 second guilt trip at the end of the episode saying he missed his family. Quebec looks a nice place though.

northshoreniall

Seemed a bit like that Stephen Fry thing on USA couple years ago to me – trying to show too many things in too short a show, jumped around too much. Missing good chance to show some nice places/ stuff. Did get impression was good paid holiday with his mate ?Russ? from other shows, where do I apply for this job?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Was alright spose

epicyclo

I think it’s a load of BS.

Reason I think that is his description of a 50 km stretch of North Queensland that I know very well. There’s much mention of crocodile infested creeks etc and it all sounds suitably rough, tough, and heroic, except…

Here’s a singlespeed that was ridden along the same route, and here it is going through one of the crocodile infested creeks.

Mugboo

After all the fuss over the Long Way Round, which I missed. I tried watching the second series but Boorman came across as a fat, ungrateful tosser so I won’t be watching this.

boblo
    Free Member

Isn’t he just the talentless mate of Ewan? You know, the one that made the tea and and continues to live off the reflected glory?

johnnystorm

Agreed it was too quick, how you can you cover a journey of many thousands of miles in only 4 shows? Perhaps there is a longer DVD on the way? I’m fairly certain the bit where he said he missed his kids was the same script from the Long Way shoes. You’d think that after a number of these outings he’d have realised he’d miss his family. 🙄

The motocross in the woods was pretty tame, I wonder if there’ll be some mental free riding when they hit BC. 😉

Mug boo, it’s a shame you missed Long Way Round. It’s easily the best of the lot. Mondo Enduro however is the one to watch.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I watched it last night the bit being an “extreme cowboy” made my cry with laughter

bikebouy
    Free Member

He did try the Daker last year (or was it the year before??), thought that was a good effort, shame it failed (and I can’t remember why now
    ) Still I don’t think it’s a bad programme, it’s made for a demograph that have no adventure in them, so whilst eating a “good plate of food” it’s easy to have on in the background.
    Not my kinda thing, but there is far worse on TV.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I tried watching the second series but Boorman came across as a fat, ungrateful tosser so I won’t be watching this.

Saw it on the TV guide, thought it was Ewan McGregor’s annoying mate, didn’t bother with it.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Its one of those things I am happy to watch while doing other stuff but I had to rewind and start again when he started trying to use a whip 🙂

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xorQyl121I[/video]

simon_g

He did try the Daker last year (or was it the year before??), thought that was a good effort, shame it failed (and I can’t remember why now)

He broke both hands in a crash, managed to ride 250 miles out of the stage but was forced to retire.

He’s likeable enough, and I wonder how many people on here would turn down free travel to loads of interesting places in return for having a small film crew tag along. He’s freely admitted that if it weren’t for LWR/LWD then he’d still be a struggling painter/decorator – fair play to him for having fun at a TV company’s expense.

As for the current show, it’s fluffy lightweight TV, not a serious travel documentary. Nice aerial shots of Canada with some other stuff cut in between.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I watched the first episode,haven’t watched the rest.For all I know he ‘s probably a good bloke but I find him annoying to watch.
    I thought the Dakar series was good viewing & has been said he failed to complete, but he broke both his hands and still managed to get out of the stage.

Houns

I quite like him. Much rather go for a beer with him than that utter c**t Ewan

jon1973
    Free Member

Charley Boorman is the male equivalent of Paris Hilton.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

As Simon G said above, although I think Charley wiould broaden his appeal if he kept a lid on the language. I bought the DVD of his Paris-Dakar attempt and would have felt more comfortable watching it with my son if every other word didn’t begin with ‘f’ and end with ‘uck’.

Interestingly, 4 or 5 years ago TBM Magazine printed a really bad hatchet job interview with Charley Boorman, (quote: “you did it for Unicef. Charidee, how boring”) written by Lois Pryce who came across as a very spoilt rich bitch and gave him no end of grief for having the film crew along on his journeys. Austin Vince was the prime mover behind Mondo Enduro (7 guys riding round the world the cheap way) and is now married to Lois Pryce.

midlifecrashes

Charley Boorman is the male equivalent of Paris Perez Hilton.

FTFY

Anyway I liked it, nice places, folk having fun, not pushing messages at you like loads of travel/wildlife/science progs. He does get annoyingly sweary when scared though, otherwise it could be a kids’ programme.

spacemonkey

Yep, I’ve also found him annoying for years, even since he took off with Mcgregor. Hence I tend to avoid anything he’s in. Did watch parts of last night’s episode and I though he came across alright for change.

Have to say I can’t stand Mcgregor. That last round the world thingy he did seemed to be ‘oh look at me and my bike … ok, just look at me because this is all about me’.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

@Mostlybalanced> was Lois Pryce that South Africa chick who worked at a TV station?
    The one they met en route in Mondo Enduro?

Edit: 2nd the language thing.
    I was stunned by his lack of control in 2 respects:
    1. the constant ‘****’, which, while I am no nun, do not feel the need to explode in at every minor irration
    2. his hypocrisy in letching the rodeo girls, then missing his family. Do both, but remove the letching in the edit 😉

zippykona

Haven’t seen it but he’s still top of my going for a pint with list.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

That last round the world thingy he did seemed to be ‘oh look at me and my bike … ok, just look at me because this is all about me’.

Well, yes it is. That’s how he chooses to pay his bills and further his career. He’s probably done more for BMW motorcycle sales than any other advertising could have dreamed of. KTM must be kicking themselves for turning him down.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

@Mostlybalanced> was Lois Pryce that South Africa chick who worked at a TV station?
    The one they met en route in Mondo Enduro?

Not sure about that one.

spacemonkey

That’s how he chooses to pay his bills and further his career

He also chose to be an actor. And IMO a pretty shit one at that.

Scamper
    Free Member

He is pretty watchable, although bigs himself up a bit. I recall him and McGregor biking the length of Africa, but were passed by 2 other bikers although unsupported, then a few cyclists?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

and I can’t help thinking Canada doesn’t really constitute and ‘extreme frontier’.
    Somalia, yes.
    Antartica, yes.
    Atlas Mountains, perhaps.

1st world country in mid-summer with helicopter support? erm…

wl
    Free Member

He’s so dull, but then he’s Ewan McGregor’s mate, so it doesn’t really matter career-wise. The backup and support those two have on their ‘adventures’ means that’s exactly what they’re not.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It was on Channel Five. Enough said.

jon1973
    Free Member

He also chose to be an actor. And IMO a pretty shit one at that.

You can afford to be a shit actor when you only appear in your Dad’s films.

yunki
    Free Member

I liked the mountainy bit.. he effortlessly gives quite an honest account of himself..

dingledan
    Free Member

A fairly good show , but he would have shown Gordon Ramsey a thing or two on the swearing front , my young daughter wanted to watch it as well but I could nt let her due to his constant S–t and F–k word onslaught, It was even making me blush.!!!!!

Woody
    Free Member

I think he had fun making it. I’m not sure I had fun watching it.

Pretty much sums up how I felt about it.

Agree about the swearing – not necessary or appropriate and just because it worked for Gordon Ramsey doesn’t mean it will work again. Also felt he was either particularly ignorant/stupid about certain things, or was that simply bad over-acting to attempt to make it more interesting.

Someone (Director/Producer?) should have a word, as he seems to be a likeable bloke.

IdleJon

crotchrocket – Member
    and I can’t help thinking Canada doesn’t really constitute and ‘extreme frontier’.
    Somalia, yes.
    Antartica, yes.
    Atlas Mountains, perhaps.

1st world country in mid-summer with helicopter support? erm…

I must be sooooo extreme then. I’ve taken a pushbike, yes a pushbike, over the High Atlas!

(I’m not sure I’d compare it to Antarctica or Somalia. But…………. the food was pretty dodgy at points and we had to stop in a village to restock our wine reserves……)

konabunny
    Free Member

The backup and support those two have on their ‘adventures’ means that’s exactly what they’re not.

That’s a little unfair. The first one (or two?) episodes are of their extensive preparations, GPS/BMW fannying and of the support 4x4s. They are often met by on the border and feature them on camera. The meetings with the UNICEF projects and Malawian PM aren’t presented as spontaneous.

I thought it was pretty transparently done. What more do you want? Two guys bimbling slowl y and tediously on their singlespeed tandems? 😆

epicyclo

IdleJon – Member
    …I must be sooooo extreme then. I’ve taken a pushbike, yes a pushbike, over the High Atlas!…

That’s why I find it hard to take motorcycle adventurers seriously. Usually some man or woman has done it unsupported on a bicycle first. Some on Penny Farthings!

Actually it’s probably more adventurous when a woman does it. Anyone read Annie Londonderry’s story? 1894! (I have a spare copy if anyone wants to borrow it)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

(Despite the gratuitous swearing) I found it really quite watchable. The bull whip was hilarious, the mountain climbing interesting, and the Northern stuff err different. I agree with others, its difficult to know what to make of him, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Easy Monday night viewing!

MadPierre

I wonder if there’ll be some mental free riding when they hit BC. 😉

He will be mountain biking so that should give you some food for discussion.

When we were on holiday with Bear Back Biking last year Mark was telling us about them guiding him. They went up above the snow line and blatted down some snow and stuff…. said he wasn’t afraid and fairly good for someone who’s not an experienced push bike rider.

BigJohn

With Julia Bradbury in a bikini on the other side and Victoria Coren in a verrrrry tight dress on BBC4 why would I watch that bloke?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Did anyone watch Charley Boormans Extreme Frontiers last night?’ is closed to new replies.