Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Did anyone see Mike Brewer’s thing about Chinooks on Discovery?
  • Harry_the_Spider

http://www.discoveryuk.com/web/falklands-hero-bravo-november/about/

I like the story about when they crashed it during a blizzard into a lake at 100 mph when returning from a special operations mission on Mount Kent. The co-pilot jettisoned his door thinking he would have to bail out but they managed to get it in the air again. He spent the next few days flying about without a door until they found a captured Argentine Chinook, so they landed next to it, jumped out and stole the door off it.

Awesome bit of kit.

footflaps

No, but will attempt to download (if I can find any seeds)…..

freddyg
    Free Member

Looks like it could be interesting. Mike Brewer does make me a bit cross though. Dunno why – maybe I should add him to the list on the other thread?

Harry_the_Spider

Brewer was filming on it in Afghanistan when the pilot got shot in the head. He still managed to get it home and got a DFC for his troubles.

Afterwards Brewer did a bit of research and found out that the aircraft had some history. Hence this programme.

theflatboy
    Free Member

No but pre-Olympics there were Chinooks flying backwards and forwards over the City every day.

Each time it was basically the highlight of my day, there’s something amazing about them.

lilchris
    Free Member

Did anyone see Mike Brewer’s thing about Chinooks on Discovery?

No.
    Here’s why:

“Mike Brewer”

wrecker
    Free Member

They’re big old pigs but by christ the pilots can throw them around. I had a fantastic ride on one in west africa onto HMS nookie. That pilot really let loose. Happy days.

bencooper
    Free Member

One flew very low over the shop a few days ago – with that distinctive noise, could tell what it was before it cleared the trees.

MrTall
    Free Member

One passed me very low on my commute home last night.

Just like Ben, i could tell what it was from the sound before i saw it.

TooTall
    Free Member

The Contra Rotating Death Banana
    or
    Two Palm Trees ****ing a Bus

Very special aircraft indeed.

Harry_the_Spider

In the Falklands the Marines dubbed BN “The Shuddering Shitbox” because of the state that it was in.

Sui
    Free Member

Wokka wokka’s if you please. They are also awesome to parachute out of 8)

TuckerUK
    Free Member

The Contra Rotating Death Banana

Which suggests either someone has no clue what contra rotating means, or they are describing a Kamov Ka-32 or Ka-50/52 helicopter (amongst others).

pictonroad

No but pre-Olympics there were Chinooks flying backwards and forwards over the City every day.
    Each time it was basically the highlight of my day, there’s something amazing about them.

Flying the route for the fly past, my mates job was to hang out the back as the Chinook flew down the Thames taking photos so he could be spotter in the WW2 fly past and make sure they hit the stadium on time.

He got paid for that…

schrickvr6
    Free Member

They’re big old pigs

There’s more than one Mike Brewer?

theflatboy
    Free Member

pictonroad – Member

Flying the route for the fly past, my mates job was to hang out the back as the Chinook flew down the Thames taking photos so he could be spotter in the WW2 fly past and make sure they hit the stadium on time.

He got paid for that…

Awesome! 😮

beaker

The Chinnook- 12000 near misses a minute. I had several flights on Wokkas last year. The most memorable one was watching the Pongo sat over the way from me getting whiter and whiter. Then watching him starting to heave. Normally the sick bags are located behind you but he didn’t have one. Fair play to him though, he started talking welsh into his glove rather than over the bergens and kit in aisle in front of him. The worst bit was the smell that started circulating….
    As the rotors turn in opposite directions (thus negating the torque effect) they do contra rotate.

noteeth
    Free Member

Brewer was filming on it in Afghanistan when the pilot got shot in the head

Flt Lt Ian Fortune – lucky name, lucky guy! 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Was on again lunchtime today, pretty sure it’ll get repeated. Was good, despite Brewer.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

They come over the office at treetop height every now and then, the pilots chuck them about enough to make you wince as they fly up the valley.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

RAF or RM Beaker?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i went up in one when i was in the Falklands in 2010. then had the pleasure of loading it on a RFA ship and sending it back to the uk!

crazy-legs

I remember flying in one down a firebreak, we were in the back, ramp was half open. Every so often the horizon would go vertical as the pilot threw it on on it’s side to go round a 90 degree corner in the firebreak. Amazing.

One guy filled TWO sickbags. 🙂

Rich_s

On a space cadet camp a bunch of us had a ride on one during some kind of crew check flight. It was interesting flying, then we hovered over a field in the middle of nowhere. I looked out of the porthole opposite and could see a pylon. Imagine my surprise when I checked behind me and saw another. They flew about 20 of us under some power cables…

jedi

Chnooks rock!

enmac
    Free Member

I used to fly out to the Brent platforms in them in the 80’s – 3 hours of cramped shaking and knowing that if they went down you were never going to get out. I hated them. Then one did go down, 50 people dead and they were never used again in the North Sea.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

My old boss used to relate the tale of arriving in a field in a chinook after “one of the bad dashboard lights” came on and it was either land now or crash.

jam-bo

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z-SSumb2ZA[/video]

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed the program

argoose
    Free Member

Sat in one in a little gully duting an air raid warning red, felt very vulnerable. Preferred scouts, now there’s a plane they chuck about

beaker

@ Pimpmaster Jazz… Ex RAF and now a dirty civvie.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I watched it last year and really enjoyed it.

Brewer looked a bit green when that squaddie was bleeding all over his shoes.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Did anyone see Mike Brewer’s thing about Chinooks on Discovery?’ is closed to new replies.