Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Did anyone else notice the moon this morning?
  • Tinners

Driving westbound on the M4 this morning at 7.30am and I saw a truly beautiful sight – a massive moon (looked much bigger than usual) and bright orange, just above the horizon. Did anyone else see it, or better still, get a picture? Nature’s a wonderful thing.

AndrewBF
    Free Member

I certainly did. It was amazing.

Rushed home to pick up the camera and went up to Saddleworth Moor just up the road.

The moon was amazing, my 50mm lens just wasn’t capable of getting decent shots.

Rest of the set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/falkingbridge/sets/72157625740186563/with/5371794755/

Simon

I saw it whilst cycling to work, low in the sky and big.
    Nice start to the day.

kaysee

Looked good as a was being towed home after a snapped chain at the furthest point from home 8(

ton

i got some nice shots of it on the way to work.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How come it’s bigger ……. is it getting closer ?

warton
    Free Member

It was massive at whitley bay tonight

Tinners

Any chance of posting the pics, Ton? It was an amazing sight, wasn’t it?
    Great pics, Andrew. It looked much bigger in the sky in Wales than it appears in your photos.

noteeth
    Free Member

Yup, whilst walking to work.

T’was a lovely sight.

Stoner
    Free Member

How come it’s bigger ……. is it getting closer ?

without wishing to teach this grandmother to suck eggs….:)

The moon looks bigger when it is full and seen near the horizon as it is given referencing scale by the horizon detail which is obviously missing when it’s just swimming around in the inky blackness.

matt_outandabout

Yes, shame I did not have tripod with me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I ride straight at it going to work and home.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The moon looks bigger when it is full and seen near the horizon as it is given referencing scale by the horizon detail which is obviously missing when it’s just swimming around in the inky blackness.

😕 explain that one again

AndrewBF
    Free Member

@tinners – yes, it appeared so large in the sky, the photos just don’t do it justice. I need to buy a telephoto lens 🙂

tthew

No, because it’s been bastard foggy here all day, and doesn’t look to be lifting at all.

druidh
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    I ride straight at it going to work and home.

If you rode faster you’d hit it..

Stoner
    Free Member

when far away cows jump over the moon….

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Watched it all morning on the way to Newcastle. Stunning.

dropoff

Looked a bit like this

[/url][/img]

steviedog
    Free Member

Yep quite stunning early this morning. Cycling to work through dark woods with the moon shining through the trees. Quite stunning. Frigging cold though in shorts.

noteeth
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXHtokQ2bxc&playnext=1&list=PL9B6CFE963DA5EC09&index=59[/video]

“Get the Moon… bring it down…”

ononeorange

Yesterday morning I know, but it was amazing. Watched it looking white from the platform waiting for my train, then woke up on said train half an hour later to stare at this enormous orangey-red orb that was filling the sky. I was lucky enough to watch it start to dip below the horizon and then a couple of minutes later the first lightness from the sun appeared from behind me. Superb.

(And it made me notice waiting for the train this morning that exactly 24 hours later the moon is in a quite different bit of the sky).

rOcKeTdOg

last night through the spare bedroom window

my first moon shot with the compact by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

ahwiles
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

“The moon looks bigger when it is full and seen near the horizon as it is given referencing scale by the horizon detail which is obviously missing when it’s just swimming around in the inky blackness”

explain that one again

the moon doesn’t get noticeably bigger or smaller, but it looks bigger when it’s near the horizon – apparently, i’ve never noticed this.

supposedly: when you look up at moon in the night sky, there’s very little around it that we can ‘scale’ from (buildings, trees, etc.) so our brains dismiss it as a small white disc, about the size of a grapeorsomething, very small.

when we see the moon low on the horizon, next to buildings, trees, etc. our brains are given a reference scale – ‘look! – it’s as big as that tree!’

etc.

supposedly…

(i’ve never noticed this effect)

and yes, it was especially beautiful this morning!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Did anyone else notice the moon this morning?’ is closed to new replies.