Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Diatech freehub seized in the hub. Any advice?
  • lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

The freehub on the Diatech cup and cone hub in my old Halo wheels has lived up to its name and now spins happily both ways..

It has a 12mm hex within the hole for the axle to undo it with. With the help of a 2′ breaker bar I’ve now broken two bit holders on it, they’re part of a Sealey AK219 key set so not great but not complete crap. I’ve tried doing it up as well to see if would start moving but no, nothing either way.

My next step would normally be heat but I think the spokes and alloy hub will be too hot for comfort by the time I get the thread that’s seized hot enough to do anything. Has anyone un-seized one of these without knackering things?

P.S Yes I’m trying to undo it counter-clockwise looking at the freehub end, i.e opposite to the way the chain would turn it when pedaling.

tjagain

You need a decent allan key in 12 mm not a bit holder and allen key bit. tube over the allan key for more leverage

schmiken

Araldite and ride it fixed?

parkesie
    Free Member

Allan key in vice turn wheel. If no joy apply loctitie freeze release spray and try again.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Thank you.

These are the holders I broke:

That allen bit isn’t really suitable for the vice but I did find a 6 face 10mm socket to use on it instead of the bit holders. Even with cold, heat then cold again I can’t get it to move with a 2 foot bar.

Araldite and ride it fixed?

The thought crossed my mind, closely followed by wondering what life as a double amputee would be like.

tjagain

Thats why you need a good quality allan key – you won’t break a 12 mm allen key easily if its a decent quality one even with a scaff pole on it

try shocking it? Load up the allan key then hit the inserted bit with a hammer – not the end of the lever.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Hmm, yes I see. I’ll give it a go tomorrow.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Diatech freehub seized in the hub. Any advice?’ is closed to new replies.