• This topic has 351 replies, 73 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 352 total)
  • Diane Abbott – I'm surprised it has taken a year
  • mcboo
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16423278

Responding to criticism of the term “black community leaders” she wrote: ”White people love playing ‘divide & rule’ We should not play their game”.

Really. I’m speechless.

wwaswas

she has subsequently tweeted somethign about the context being misinterpreted… but then that’s what racists do.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You are speechless that a black MP pointed out racism and a tory took it out of context to score political points?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    v8ninety

You are speechless that a black MP pointed out racism and a tory took it out of context to score political points?

It’s fair enough to point out that racism isn’t just the preserve of the white though, no?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It is V8 – its just that this is not racist.

wwaswas

TJ – I think the point is that she used the phrase ‘white people’ which is the sort of casual racism that when applied to ‘black people’ as if they were an homogenous group causes a lot of comment.

‘Some white people’ or even just ‘some people’ might have been a less controversial choice of wording, no?

Torminalis
    Free Member

White people love playing ‘divide & rule’

Negative generalisation based on nothing more than skin colour? sounds like racism to me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

even just ‘some people’ might have been a less controversial choice of wording, no?

You mean like, “Some gun owners might be mentally unstable, we should look at how we can better control access” rather than “THEY’RE ALLL NUTTERS! THEY WANT TO KILL YOU! BAN THEM! BAN THEM ALL!”

Selective approach to when a sweeping generalisation is a bad thing, eh?

loum
    Free Member

Precedent is an 8 game ban.

wwaswas

Selective approach to when a sweeping generalisation is a bad thing, eh?

who me? I’ve deliberatly avoided the gun ownership thread – it was already over 4 pages when I saw it and I guessed it was probably not going well 😉

BigJohn

Politicians and the media tend to subscribe to the belief that there is a “Black Community”, “Asian Community”, “Muslim Community” etc and these communities all have “Leaders”.

I think it’s that sort off bolx the fragrant Diane was objecting to.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

wwaswas, no not you….. 😉

randomjeremy
    Free Member

It’s not racist if it’s a racial minority commenting on a majority, the same as it isn’t heterophobic(?) for gay people to openly mock heterosexuals, and it isn’t generally considered sexist for women to make lewd remarks to men or mock them mercilessly.

Probably social mores, not worth getting worked up about.

retro83
    Free Member

BigJohn – Member

Politicians and the media tend to subscribe to the belief that there is a “Black Community”, “Asian Community”, “Muslim Community” etc and these communities all have “Leaders”.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but my interpretation is that she is saying precisely the opposite of that.

scaredypants

”White people love playing ‘divide & rule’ We should not play their game”

Not referring to C19th as present tense (unless she was quoting someone else)
    Generalisation (negative) based solely on colour of skin

8 game ban, as loum suggests 😉

(However, “political opportunist catches out political opportunist” would make a good summary, I reckon)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s not racist if it’s a racial minority commenting on a majority, the same as it isn’t heterophobic(?) for gay people to openly mock heterosexuals, and it isn’t generally considered sexist for women to make lewd remarks to men or mock them mercilessly.

Wrong on every count, I’m afraid. I sincerely hope that was in jest.

loum
    Free Member

v8ninety

And thats a fair point, but it would be ‘racist’ to suggest that ‘Politicians and the media’ are exclusively white, as she proves herself.

mcboo
    Free Member

White people Jews love playing ‘divide & rule’ We should not play their game”

TJ see how ugly that sounds? Just for once fella, please.

Nobby

That tory MP being Nadhim Zahawi who, I’m just guessing, has a better grasp of racism than most on here.

allthepies
    Free Member

More importantly, why is such a porker shadow health secretary. Not setting a very good example is she 😉

v8ninety

It’s not racist if it’s a racial minority commenting on a majority,

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Allthepies – FATTIST!

ahwiles
    Free Member

i tried mcboos’s rule of thumb too. it made me feel all grubby.

but i don’t think i’ll calling for her resignation, we’re all capable of momentary daftness – especially in this age of instant and irretrievable communication…

It’s not racist if it’s a racial minority commenting on a majority,

apartheid?

alba23
    Free Member

That tory MP being Nadhim Zahawi.
    🙂

Is she not the one who shouted about private education. And then when she saved her mp salary/expenses money sent her son to a private school.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mcboo – I see your point – but |I don’t agree – cos I read the context. In context not racist at all IMO just sloppy use of language

CaptainFlashheart

Wrong on every count, I’m afraid. I sincerely hope that was in jest.

agree with yo there capt.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It is racism.

scaredypants

oooh, I see the BBC has changed the page to include a smiley Diane rather than a shouty one – she must have a good PR advisor / lawyer

v8ninety

Come on Teej, I’m reeally REALLY loking forward to watching you try to wriggle out of this one. Alternatively, you could admit that you were a little ahem, premature shall we say, and you were wrong…

Edit, blimey, TJ said “IN MY OPINION”!!!!

Folks, real progress has been made here today.

scaredypants

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    It is racism

It’s actually the sort of casually revealed, deeply embedded negative attitude that TJ should be railing against

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

v8 – have read the context I do not believe Abbott was being racist at all – I think its cheap point scoring from a tory. She use the words poorly and left herself open to the accusation.

Its just cheap point scoring form a tory – thats all it is.

joao3v16
    Free Member

it would be ‘racist’ to suggest that ‘Politicians and the media’ are exclusively white

It wouldn’t be a racist statement. Just utterly incorrect & ridiculous.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Little racist slip of the tongue, who cares? I am white and I don’t, I rather like her. I would defend her as a good character in parliament and a good tv wonk.

However, it is racist to generalise based on someones colour. If you think it isn’t then you really need to sit down and consider how much party allegiance blinds you to the truth on other matters.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Dear Diane has a history of naivety and this is just another example. Need to engage her brain better before making points that may be valid but just need to be expressed better.

But there is no doubt that there is an asymmetry in how the term ‘racist’ is used. At its extreme (not here) it becomes the tyranny of minorities. Racism like most -isms will have been eradicated when the need for a qualifying adjective (white,black,male, female, young, old) has gone.

Interesting to compare DA’s comments, taken out of context or not, with the comments of Cindy Butts and Madix on Newsnight last night. Far more balanced views on all issues including progress within the Met on eradicating racism, the issue of positive discrimination, bad versus good officers, the record of black officers within the police etc.

Newsnight then went downhill when Rev Dr Giles Fraser came on for first TV interview since his resignation. I think the CoE are quietly rather relieved that he has gone now, albeit with adverse publicity. Not one religious comment throughout the interview from a member of the Church was telling.

mcboo
    Free Member

I dont think Diane Abbott is actually any more racist than some old bore at the bar in a golf club whinging about immigration. But they fall into the same category, people of a certain age and generation who are stuck in their ways and who cant see that the country has moved on. Wouldnt have thought either of them would make credible candidates to sit in parliament but then I dont live in Hackney or Surrey.

binners

Can we expect a statement from Dianne soon:

“Some of my best friends are white, but……”

😆

kimbers

she got it wrong, end of
    she used the same generalisation she was complaining about, which is a schoolgirl error

such are the dangers of twitter!

loum
    Free Member

Nobby – Member
    That tory MP being Nadhim Zahawi who, I’m just guessing, has a better grasp of racism than most on here.

I’m going slightly off topic, and without meaning to detract from the Diane Abbott discrace, but why do you guess this? You know him well?

And btw, have a look at this video of Nadhim Zahawi in action.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/simonheffer/8272594/Nadhim-Zahawi-Up-to-his-brass-neck-in-sartorial-disgrace.html

retro83
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

mcboo – I see your point – but |I don’t agree – cos I read the context. In context not racist at all IMO just sloppy use of language

TandemJeremy – Member

v8 – have read the context I do not believe Abbott was being racist at all – I think its cheap point scoring from a tory. She use the words poorly and left herself open to the accusation.

Its just cheap point scoring form a tory – thats all it is.

Can you please explain what you think the context that makes this acceptable is? This simpleton here can’t understand how you think what she said was just poorly worded.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 352 total)

The topic ‘Diane Abbott – I'm surprised it has taken a year’ is closed to new replies.