Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Diamond Jubilee Beacons- I loves a good bonfire I does
  • Ambrose

Does anyone know where the beacons are being sited/ lit on Monday? We’re aiming for Pen y Fan, anyone care to join us?

Stoner
    Free Member

we’re going up on to mount malvern with the nippers and a bottle of decent vino

Apparently they’re planning on recreating the coronation beacon which was mahoosive.

Ambrose

Just found this:

http://www.diamond-jubilee-beacons.buzzsites.co.uk/pages/members-z=members&s=countysearch.cfm

Fan Gyhirych is prefered, but Carreg Cennen is closest. Fan G for me, take the bubbly and the bikes!

ski
    Free Member

Did anyone get any good photographs?

Was planning to go to our local one in Malvern, but unexpected work put pay to that!

Bregante

We had a picnic on the banks of Derwent Water and watched the beacons being lit on Catbells and on Latrigg. Stunning evening for it too (unfortunately only mobile phone pics though and they were rubbish)

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

beacon by imnotthealien, on Flickr

Over Swanage bay.. the blue flashing light is the rozzers out for a play

nickjb
    Free Member

Didn’t get any pics but we saw loads while driving home up the M5. One was absolutely massive, but at the bottom of the hill. Flames were getting close to the top, though 🙂

Ambrose

Made it up to the top of Fan Gyhirych in the end- the local MRT had built a sizeable pile of wood. Many of them were quite tipsy! by the time we arrived- possibly explaining the inability to light the beacon on time, even by firing flares at it, some of which bounced off back at the onlookers.

Once lit we warmed up a bit, and looked at loads of similar beacons in the distance- Pen y Fan, Radnor Forest? Swansea and a truely mahoosive firework display in Myddfai, where Prince Charles has his country retreat at Llwynwormwood.

spooky_b329

It looks like someone built a big one right on top of the South Downs near Firle. Went past it today and there is a big circle of ashes and scorched earth about 10 metres across that will probably still be bare this time next year. There was also a smaller campfire surrounded by firework remains scattered all over the place.

I think they should have used a proper beacon (basket on a pole) rather than just build a mahoosive bonfire.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Diamond Jubilee Beacons- I loves a good bonfire I does’ is closed to new replies.