• This topic has 52 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by timc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Dialled Bikes PA 29
  • Rickos
    Free Member

Just seen the photo on The Bike Chain’s facebook page. Just a PSA for you 29er types, that’s all.

druidh
    Free Member

PS – it’s actually a 30.9 seatpost!

fudge9202
    Free Member

linky

mattjg
    Free Member

‘proper’ BB shell? What’s an improper one?

brant
    Free Member

That’s a brilliant product photo. Love it. Well done.

WHAT’S THE CHAINSTAY LENGTH?

rewski
    Free Member

Ace, Ti version?

Schweiz
    Free Member

Geo?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

WHAT’S THE CHAINSTAY LENGTH?

pffffftttttt, everyone know knows 29er handling is defined by ratio of headtube length to BB width.

ojom
    Free Member

Yep it’s a 30.9 seat post. My eyes need re-calibrated.

Normal BB shell = one where you are not forced to use a plastic one that fails in Scotland prematurely. This lets you select your own system. We like this.

Chainstays, no idea. Useless measurement taken on its own so best let Mike publish the geo tables in due course.

rOcKeTdOg

WHATS THE CHAINSTAY LENGTH

email from Mike

It’s based on a 100mm fork with 71/74 angles and 445mm stays. 120mm will work fine too and slacken things off a little.

It will also take 30.9mm dropper posts.

was hoping for shorter stays 🙁

This is just a prototype. I’m massively behind schedule on all things Dialled at the moment as I’ve been focussing on getting Factory Team Bikes up and running.

Stays are 445mm, Brant.

timc
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    was hoping for shorter stays

How much shorter?

zerocool

I’m so glad it isn’t a crappy press fit BB. They’re terrible

ojom
    Free Member

Agreed zerocool. Regardless of what manufacturers seem to think and say, they just do not last long enough.

Stoner
    Free Member

Id love to see EBB sized BBs on more frames to make SSing a vertical drop out frame easier. Also wouldnt the increased surface area of the shell improve the stiffness of the BB area or even allow for flared tubes?

ojom
    Free Member

The thing is, it’s not like anyone is making bendy bikes with normal style shells.

Sure, the manufacturers keep making out that there is tons more stiffness but is it really noticeable in every day use? Hard to say when there is ‘control’ sample to test against.

And this stiffness seems to come at the expense of practical everyday function like BB’s that last more than 3 months. No use having a stiff bike if the BB doesn’t go round.

Stoner
    Free Member

true – noddliness isnt everywhere.
    How much to EBB adaptors cost anyway?

mattjg
    Free Member

EBBs are A Good Thing.

Dialled know how to make them too, my Love/Hate works well.

Press fit BBs, not for me thanks.

Had them on BMX bikes for decades and they were a pain in the ass. What’s wrong with the current threaded external BB systems?

oxym0r0n

Any plans for a love/hate 29er?

scruff
    Free Member

Still the nicest dropouts in the bizzniss.

packer
    Free Member

Still the nicest dropouts in the bizzniss

I guess it’s a marmite thing… personally the only reason I wouldn’t buy a PA is the dropouts are so fugly…

LoCo
    Free Member

I don’t need another hardtail, however..

ojom
    Free Member

going to add, that when i heard it was going to be brown and a raw one i really wanted raw. However, the brown is realll nice.

I like the dropouts, but beyond the looks (I appreciate other dropouts might look prettier), they actually have a practical purpose. They do away with needed to weld disc mounts to the seat stay and the reinforcing brace between the SS and CS on the brake side (which I don’t like the look of). Never had a CS or a SS crack/break due to breaking forces (which I’ve seen happen on other frames), so the fugly dropouts seem to be doing their job.

BikePawl
    Free Member

I really like the drop outs, maybe it’s cause I don’t like marmite.
    TheBikeChain you should stick to the raw finish.

druidh
    Free Member

I was in TBC today picking something up and that brown finish is lovely.

ojom
    Free Member

AntM was in at closing time and we have renamed it Cortina Brown.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Alpine 29er please

packer
    Free Member

the fugly dropouts seem to be doing their job

Fair enough Mike – function over fashion is the way it should be.

While we are asking questions I have another: is there a functional reason why the seat stays join the seat tube above the top tube junction rather than in line with it? Or is it just a visual thing? Seems like quite a few bikes seem to have that style these days.

wwaswas

increased standover whilst still keeping a nice big (and stiff) rear triangle, I thought.

packer
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought it would make a noticeable difference to rear end stiffness would it?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I don’t need another hardtail, however..

Same here…

Glad post is 30.9 – the 31.6 on my current HT is a little harsh after a few hours.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

is there a functional reason why the seat stays join the seat tube above the top tube junction rather than in line with it? Or is it just a visual thing? Seems like quite a few bikes seem to have that style these days.

Its something I’ve never been keen on. I’m sure it is strong enough, but it doesn’t look right from a load-distribution point of view.

increased standover whilst still keeping a nice big (and stiff) rear triangle,

hmmm, how much increase in standover? half an inch? Solved by wearing tighter pants.

jimmy

How small is that whiteboard?!

Oh, 29er…

I think the seat stays higher than top tube concept originated in Canada and were dubbed “Bomber style stays”.

On my frames they’re only about 19mm higher, but I’ve seem them higher on other frames. Only real functional/practical advantage is that the welds aren’t as close together as they would be if the TT and SS were at the same level. Nothing to do with how the frame rides or handles.

Clobber
    Free Member

Mike, will you be offering an EBB on a 29er?

Will have to see how things go. If the PA29 does alright, I might expand the 29er range.

Rik
    Free Member

You not making the Ti PA 26″ then that the bike chain had proto’s of?

ojom
    Free Member

Nah – far too much money to put into production at the scale the factories want.

Nice project though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Dialled Bikes PA 29’ is closed to new replies.