• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Dialled Alpine build- advice needed!
  • muddy247
    Free Member

Planning to build up a Dialled Bikes Alpine frame as my do it all hardtail!
    The frame is suited to 160mm travel but I’m wondering if I’ll struggle to ride it on all day rides
    It’s a mk2 frame so will need 26″ 1-1/8 steerer forks.
    I have fox 36 forks on my full suspension bike but would like something different like Pikes or 55’s
    Any alpine riders out there that can tell me what setup you run?
    Thanks
    Muddy

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Try 120/130 for uk stuff.

Si
    Free Member

150mm Revelation RT3’s with a 1degree works components angleset… seems about perfik.

deviant
    Free Member

I ran mine with 140mm coil spring forks, it was great and had no problems climbing either.

coogan
    Free Member

Had 160 55’s on it and now a set of very tired Lyriks at 160. Just for the hell of it. Never caused any problems when climbing and an absolute hoot on the way down.

muddy247
    Free Member

Thanks for responses- ideally would run 150/160 with an option for lockout or adjustable travel for climbing
    It’s been a choice between the Alpine or a Cotic Bfe- too many bfe’s round these parts (Yorkshire!) and fancied something different!

souldrummer
    Free Member

I run an old pair of 150mm Marzocchi Z1s with ETA on my Mk1 Alpine. Use it all day without any worries, Only use the ETA on very steep climbs.

dan86
    Free Member

Mine has 150mm sektors . Absolute blast to ride, and great for manuals 😀 Handles great on the downs , not too bad on the uphills, but wouldnt mind changing for something with travel adjust for the steeper bits.

stugus
    Free Member

mine has marz 55r which I think are 160mm (pos 170!)
    Seems to be find for most stuff – its no rocket on the ups but the downs are a blast 🙂

Burchy1
    Free Member

My Mk2 had RS Sektors on it, they worked best at 140mm IMO. I’ve now got a Mk3 (the Mk2 cracked – not anywhere near the headtube though!) and that is running the new RS Pikes at 150mm with a fair bit of sag and a couple of the tokens installed.

muddy247
    Free Member

Burchy 1- which set up rides best- 149 or 150?

scruff
    Free Member

I had Lyrik Uturn sset at 150 then 150 Revs. 160 nice headed down steep stuff.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t stress too much about travel reduction – I ran my Slackline with 150mm Z1 Anniversary forks and found that the ETA made the bike feel horrible. It was preferable to climb with the forks at full travel.

highlandman
    Free Member

55R on my Alpine too and no great disadvantage on the ups, despite 160mm. Originally had Mk1 U-turn coil Pike and rarely used it at other than full 140mm. It’s an absolute blast on the downs.

gringo

160mm Lyriks here on a Mk2 frame. Seems to climb ok but it’s an absolute blast when pointed downwards!

Burchy1
    Free Member

Muddy, it’s not really a fair comparison as the new Pike is a much better fork (for me) than the Sektor was, aswell as that the frame is slightly different (a touch slacker, lower bb).

On my mk2 the Sektors at 140 was definitely the sweetspot for me.

muddy247
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at some Marzocchi 55 ATA forks- 120-160
    They look the business but a friend has said they weigh a ton?
    Also seen some older Revelations that are 1-1/8 steerer.
    Most of the pikes I’ve found are only 140mm

eulach

160 Lyrik u turns here. The travel adjust is used and makes a difference.
    If you’re worrying about weight, you’ve got the wrong frame.

muddy247
    Free Member

I’m not too concerned about the weight- just don’t want it to be overkill for riding all day!
    Thanks for all advice- much appreciated

wiggles
    Free Member

I had a mk3 with 160 and it was a handful uphill, front wheel wanted to jump up on anything steep so you had to get right over the front, bit was great coming down. O think 140/150 would be the sweet spot.

alpin
    Free Member

Have an old coil Lyrik with a hard spring. In fact that is a lie… Currently have a 150 Sektor on. The Lyrik needs a service. The Sektor is very noodley in comparison!

The bike can take a beating. However mine developed a hairline crack in the gusset. Mike sorted me out with a MKII and said it was only the second Alpine that he had heard about. It had seen lots of use including 15~ trans alps.

A guiding buddy had a Bfe. He was happy with it until it developed at crack in the chain stay somewhere in China.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Dialled Alpine build- advice needed!’ is closed to new replies.