Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • diagnosis required – bathroom light not working
  • brakes
    Free Member

my bathroom light doesn’t work, but it comes on very occasionally by itself if the switch is on, or sometimes it can be triggered by another light being switched on in another room. the extractor fan which is activated by the same switch as the light is working fine.
    is there an obvious problem?
    I have called an electrician but it would be good to hear any theories.
    thanks.

jam-bo

dodgy bulb.

andyr
    Free Member

Poltergeist.

brakes
    Free Member

Not the bulb. Could be the fitting.
    We were recently exorcised for hauntings, spectres and posession which I presumed would cover poltergeists

GrahamS

Bulb loose in the fitting?
    Dodgy wiring in fitting that only sometimes makes contact?

Sounds well ropey anyway!

Nico
    Free Member

It’s to do with the extractor fan. I had the same problem but the light wouldn’t turn off. Something to do with the live coming from the fan (I only understand DC).

stumpy01

What type of light is it?

Some of our halogen downlighters refused to come on, while others were fine. I mentioned it to our electrician while he was putting in some new sockets in a bedroom and an extractor fan in the bathroom.

He said it was due to the connectors for the halogens corroding with all the moisture & failing. He replaced the flying leads from the back for the bulbs to the transformer & they’ve been fine since.

brakes
    Free Member

filament bulb and bayonet fitting.
    there are some halogen ceiling lights in the adjacent hall and one of them doesn’t work (possibly due to moisture corrosion). maybe the two are linked. the circuit breaker for the lighting circuit trips every couple of weeks too.

gatecrasher
    Free Member

could be pins in bayonet fitting not making proper contact with lamp or
    loose neutral somewhere .

CountZero

Turn it off at the wall and turn it back on again?

brakes
    Free Member

loose neutral somewhere

winner! loose wiring.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘diagnosis required – bathroom light not working’ is closed to new replies.