Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Diagnosed with Costochondritis today; anyone have/had this?
  • paulneenan76
    Free Member

Lower sternum been giving me pain for months and got a bit worried about it (Mum recently dying of cancer appears to have given me a negative and irrational perspective on some things since) but went to the Docs today and told nothing too serious, take Naproxen (evil stuff) So whilst I’m a bit relieved I wondered if anyone else had/has it as I’ve never heard of it before?

It’s a bruising of the area for those, like me, who are none the wiser.

TheFlyingOx

I’m just recovering, been about 4 weeks so far. From a sufferer’s point of view there’s little difference between it and broken ribs. Just wait it out and try not to laugh or sneeze.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You might want a PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) with the Naproxen – as you say it’s not the nicest stuff..

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Theflyingox- you have any idea how you did it.
    Mrlebowski – no idea what ppi is but I have gout now and then so have Naproxen – usually take it with loads of food.

TheFlyingOx

I’m almost certain it was down to being a tit at work when trying to flog a valve open, ended up putting almost my entire bodyweight on a 1/4″ metal rod that was positioned between my ribs. Yes, it hurt.

Shackleton

Been suffering with it for over 2 years now. Recently doctor prescribed naproxen and I think it is having a positive effect. But having real trouble shifting it 🙁

Not actually stopped me doing stuff but I’m not as fit, more tired and have a constant cold as a result….

Houns

I have been diagnosed with it, however mine lasts for about an hour at a time and feels like how I imagine a heart attack feels. I’ve actually been told by nurse and paramedic friends that I should call 999 when I get it. I call it costaconcordiaritis as feels like I’ve been hit in the chest by a cruise ship!
    Mnd everything I’ve read about it after I was diagnosed suggests it lasts for days, not short sharp periods every so often like mine

midlifecrashes

I had something similar, Tietze’s syndrome, from age 20ish to about 25 when it had resolved itself. I think it’s similar to Costochondritis but with swelling of the affected area. I think it first triggered itself with a combination of a growth spurt and taking up running/orienteering faster than my body was comfortable with. I had a heart trace and chest X-ray to rule out anything nastier and after that just used aspirin and paracetemol as and when it flared up. Decades later I can occasionally feel the effects if I lie or sit at a funny angle for too long, but it’s effectively stopped being a problem years ago.

xora

Tietze’s Syndrome is a bastard, almost 15 years now and still going strong 🙁 Needs cocodamol when bad!

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Blimey, sounds like I’ve done quite well with the level of discomfort then.

Not so long ago I went tubeless on my bike and used a friends Airwave dual chamber pump thingy. It says pump to 240 psi then release and up the tyre goes but I struggled like hell to get close that psi and was literally balancing on the thing with all my weight – hurt like buggery. I wonder if that was it.

I take Naproxen when I have my annual gout attach and it’s mean as hell on your tummy but is impactful on the pain.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

PPI

That pain in your gut is too much stomach acid chewing away at your stomach lining..

Omaprazole, a PPI, helps to reduce the acid ergo the pain which can lead to an ulcer…..

hammyuk
    Free Member

Naproxen is a kitten – never affected me in over 10yrs.
    Ibuprofen on the other hand….

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’ll look into that mr lebowski

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Naproxen is a kitten – never affected me in over 10yrs.
    Ibuprofen on the other hand….

I can’t take Naproxen but Ibuprofen goes down like chocolate…

Horses for courses..

chipster

I came off the bike in early June, last year. Landed on my upper back. When the bruising had gone, I’d still got the sternum pain. Went to doctors after a month and was prescribed Naproxen. It takes the pain away but, it doesn’t like guts.
    I’d put the lack of recovery down to my age (57), but it looks like it’s hanging around for a few others, too. 😕

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Diagnosed with Costochondritis today; anyone have/had this?’ is closed to new replies.