Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Diabetic Advice Plse
  • superleggero
    Free Member

Grateful for any advice on a portable blood glucose meter for my dad that doesn’t require the drawing of blood. I have heard there may be new types on the market that can do this but searches so far seem to show only the conventional types with lancets and test strips etc.

Anyone on here use such a thing, and if so what are the pros and cons?

Dr_Bakes

Abbott’s Libre system is such a device.

It’s very good if rather spendy – £60 sensors last 14 days.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve left mine at home, 🙄 I’ll check when I get back.

Mine was free from the good old NHS.

allan23
    Free Member

Still a bit pricy for me the Libre, I use my trusty NHS provided GlucoRX. It’s an excuse to stop and have a rest 🙂

Most of the time I don’t bother as I’ve got used to knowing by time and the amount of climbing. Just make sure I have lots of gels and snacks in pockets.

I do have the odd test ride where I check every few miles to see how it’s all working.

clubby

Devices like Libre aren’t great for taking no readings while exercising. They measure glucose readings in interstitial fluid rather than blood, which tend to lag a bit behind blood readings. Falling low levels do not show up as quickly as they do in a blood test.
    Accu Check mobile can bea good option. They store the strips in cassette of 50 in the reader and the lanes came in a drum of 6. You never actually have to handle any loose strips or lancets.
    Personally, I just use a normal strip meter and lancer.

keefmac

+1 for the accucheck mobile Meter. Lancet device is better than my old Roche Meter too, can hardly feel it most of the time

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Diabetic Advice Plse’ is closed to new replies.