Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Di2….I'm not sure I like it.
  • monksie
    Free Member

My first bike with Di2 and I’m not sure I’m going to get on with it. Early days but so far…hmmm. Has anybody downgraded from it? I’m seriously considering it. I’m assuming I can get standard gear cables through the frame where the wires currently go? Set up and shifting is great but in use, I find it…I don’t know, vague(?) at the lever. I’ve even forgotten a number of times while riding, which button does what. Maybe I’m being a numpty. This morning with gloves on was a nightmare as well.

lunge

Give it time. It’s a different feel to mechanical but once you’re used to it it is simply magnificent.

gazhurst
    Free Member

I’ve had DI2 for about a year now and although I’ve had my fair share of issues with it, I certainly wouldn’t go back to mechanical now unless I really had to. Granted the shifting gets a little getting used to and it takes a little bit of playing around with the e-tube software to find a setting you like but as lunge said, stick with it and eventually you just wont want anything else

whitestone
    Free Member

I must admit to being underwhelmed by Di2 (this was on a road bike), it’s slightly better than a well set up mechanical system but not, IMO, enough to justify the price premium. Didn’t take long to adjust to it, maybe half an hour, but would occasionally mess things up if there was a lot suddenly happening all at once.

Given the number of rear mechs that some people on here go through, I don’t think it’s a good idea on mountain bikes – unless you have money to burn 😆

jonba
    Free Member

You used to it. It now seems strange to jump on my mechanical cross bike.

Being able to hold the buttons to shift all the way up or down is nice. Auto trim front mech. Soft action is great at the back end of a 400 miles ride when your hands are numb.

I did get a few missed shifts until I got use to it. I agree on the mtb though (and CX) still too pricey for the risk of breaking stuff. Also not sure about the reliability for a bike that takes a hammering. I put about 7500 miles into my road bike each year racing and riding in all weathers. I’ve had a few battery issues. Nothing serious as I used to have issues with cables also. But on a mtb that is also cleaned after every ride, crashed and generally thrown around a lot more… I will be waiting until there is some trickle down to cheaper groupos.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Persevere with the feel as it really is brilliant. Shifting flawlessly under power, auto trimming. I went back to mechanical on the winter bike recently and it was horrible so I’ve now got di2 on that 🙂

Only thing I am a little concerned about is Di2 with big winter lobster gloves. Tried it a couple of times last winter and it was tricky to hit the correct paddle. Shall persever this year.

Shame eTube doesn’t let you set it up like SRAM shifters with one side doing up and the other down and both to shift the front mech. Think that’d be easier with winter gloves.

Edit… ^^ that’s all assuming road bike.

Dark-Side

Soft action is great at the back end of a 400 miles ride when your hands are numb

I don’t foresee this ever being an issue for me.

crazy-legs

Di2 is amazing but yes, you do need to give it a couple of rides to get used to the feel of it when using bigger gloves. I hit the wrong button a couple of times on a borrowed road bike which wouldn’t have happened on my own mechanical bike.

Soon got used to it though.

STATO
    Free Member

I hit the wrong button a couple of times on a borrowed road bike which wouldn’t have happened on my own mechanical bike.

Well it probably would happen if you use shimano and borrowed a SRAM or Campagnolo bike, as their upshift are the downshift for shimano.

crazy-legs

Well it probably would have if you use shimano and borrowed a SRAM or Campagnolo bike, as their upshift are the downshift for shimano.

I wouldn’t use Campag if you paid me.
    SRAM etap is brilliant but I’ve only ever used demo sets, never an actual real-world riding set-up.

The borrowed bike had Dura Ace 9000 Di2. My own bike has Dura Ace 7800. The last iteration that had cables coming out the side of the shifters.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

Anyone found a source for xt di2 yet? I quite fancy giving it a go but nowhere appears to have stock of the 1×11 gear set.

Definitely a bit of a gamble on the mtb but the xt price doesn’t seem “too” ridiculous.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Di2….I'm not sure I like it.’ is closed to new replies.