Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 163 total)
  • Di2 XTR
  • flange
    Free Member

Only the sram sponsored ones

That’s a big negative. Most XC racers I know run a single ring at the front regardless of whether it be SRAM or not. I think if you’re using a granny ring in an XC race, you probably shouldn’t be racing….

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Cool if you can run these from the battery too

Linky

honourablegeorge

LoCo – Member

Heard some ‘interesting’ stories about the electronic gears….

*drums fingers*

Allright then, I’ll ask. What have you heard?

molgrips
    Free Member

Who’d put electric gears on an mtb?!?

I also think it makes more sense on an MTB than road. No cables to get cakked up.

adsh
    Free Member

That’s a big negative. Most XC racers I know run a single ring at the front regardless of whether it be SRAM or not. I think if you’re using a granny ring in an XC race, you probably shouldn’t be racing….

Not all XC is 1.5hours max. I’ll use my granny in a 6hr race thanks.

flange
    Free Member

Do you win those 6hr enduro’s xc races then?

njee20
    Free Member

I’ll use my granny in a 6hr race thanks.

Not an XC race then is it? Unlses you’re taking 6 hours to complete an XC race, in which case see flange’s comment 😉

Edit: beaten to it by Flange!

Point still stands though, I’d race a 6 hour race on 1×10. I’d probably go for a double (or XX1) for a 24 solo, but that’s about it! YMMV

techsmechs
    Free Member

I think if you’re using a granny ring in an XC race, you probably shouldn’t be racing….

*cough[b]BS[/b]*cough

flange
    Free Member

That’s pretty much the only time I’m ever going to beat you at anything Njee…

*coughBS*cough

You missed a ‘*’. How is it BS then?

njee20
    Free Member

That’s pretty much the only time I’m ever going to beat you at anything Njee…

Don’t be too sure, my ever expanding waist line and dwindling enthusiasm is dragging my fitness further into the doldrums, and that’s not being modest!

*coughBS*cough

Inclined to agree with Flange here – what use is a 22t granny ring in an XC race?

molgrips
    Free Member

I think if you’re using a granny ring in an XC race, you probably shouldn’t be racing.

Are you saying the lower orders shouldn’t bother? Harsh.

techsmechs
    Free Member

Sorry, * there we go. 😉

Depending on your strengths you may find a ‘granny’ ring is entirely necessary in XCO races.

I find this elitist nonsense quite depressing, and not entirely encouraging to new riders trying XC racing.

MSP

22t hasn’t even been standard on a triple for a few years, I doubt they are doing di2 xtr as a 3×9 set-up.

I prefer to run a triple with a 12-27 block at the back, can’t stand single ring set-ups with 11-36 cassettes, never in the right gear. I think most might settle on 2×10.

flange
    Free Member

I’m all about the Audax these days Njee – this high BPM chasing each other round a field thing is sooo last year. Cake stops and Ron hill tracksters for the win..

At least 4 of the riders in the top 8 in Sport in the Gorrick winter series last weekend were running 1xN. I’d comment on the Expert/Elite class but I’d have to be somewhere near them to see what combination they’re running and there’s bugger all chance of that..

Depending on your strengths you may find a ‘granny’ ring is entirely necessary in XCO races.

I find this elitist nonsense quite depressing, and not entirely encouraging to new riders trying XC racing.

First off, there’s no elitist nonsense at all. I’m about as far from Elite as you can get. The point here is the original comment and the fact that the majority of racers at the sharp end now run 1xN. Those in the fun/open category probably don’t (and there’s nothing wrong with that!) but the proper fast lads (of which I am not one of) run 1xN

Are you saying the lower orders shouldn’t bother? Harsh.

Next you’ll be telling me its the taking part that counts…

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough, I freely admit I was thinking about the ‘sharper end’ for want of a better term, but I include myself in that, and I doubt I’d manage top half in sport these days.

techsmechs
    Free Member

flange
    Free Member

Yeah – but she’s not even on a 29er…what’s she going to win…

njee20
    Free Member

No granny ring there, just a double. We’re going even further OT, but personally I think of a ‘granny’ ring as a 22/24t one. Very few pro XC racers are running anything other than double or single now, as shown by that photo!

Smaller rings in the women’s field, perhaps unsurprisingly.

Yeah – but she’s not even on a 29er…what’s she going to win…

She’s got tubs, that cancels out the fact the wheels are too small.

flange
    Free Member

Yeah but she’s also running DT Swiss forks which will require a service every lap..

techsmechs
    Free Member

🙂

Not 1xN though is it – Probably a 26t – to be fair, she isnt at the top end of Sport racing in the UK though…..

nedrapier

This on a thread about XTR proto electronic shifting?

And we’re back to over-biking. I’m so over-biking.

njee20
    Free Member

Where did anyone say that 1×10 is all you need? Just that it’s prevalent, and that ‘granny’ rings (open for interpretation) are probably not required, for most, in some places, if there’s an y in the day and an r in the month, as long as you’re on 650b wheels and using tapered forks, bar ends optional.

flange
    Free Member

Not 1xN though is it – Probably a 26t – to be fair, she isnt at the top end of Sport racing in the UK though…..

Amazing – so my original point of not using a granny ring in a race is proven by a picture posted by yourself. Are you sure its a 26? I think it might be a 27…or maybe a 27.5

techsmechs
    Free Member

Eh?

flange
    Free Member

EDIT: I can’t be bothered.

You’re right. We’re being elitist. I’m actually shouting at people right now not to take up XC(O?) because they’re not elite enough. I shall stop immediately and sign myself up to an MTB skills course…

jameso

Not an XC race then is it?

What is it called these days then, since (new)enduro nicked the term we used for the old Kona / Merida 100s etc? Is XC racing only the 2hr stuff?

techsmechs
    Free Member

what?

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

ameso – Member
    Not an XC race then is it?

What is it called these days then, since (new)enduro nicked the term we used for the old Kona / Merida 100s etc? Is XC racing only the 2hr stuff?

Marathon, surely?
    Or XCM if you prefer.

rwc03
    Free Member

Anyway, any photographs yet?

XTR di2 has been discussed even since durac ace di2 was announced but haven’t seen any photos or specs yet. Is it just going to be m98x with a servo?

njee20
    Free Member

You’re right. We’re being elitist. I’m actually shouting at people right now not to take up XC(O?) because they’re not elite enough. I shall stop immediately and sign myself up to an MTB skills course…

😆

Anyway, any photographs yet?

Sea Otter next year I reckons before we see anything concrete. I’m going for 11 speed, but not using X Driver body. 11-38 cassettes or something.

iolo
    Free Member

Isn’t all this electric gubbins just trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist?
    Why is it better than cable actuated?(genuine question)

honourablegeorge

jameso – Member

“New” Enduro was being raced for years in that format in France, and on motorbikes even longer before that. It’s you weird long distance types that misappropriated the term, now it’s been “taken back”.

eshershore
    Free Member

I have built 100+ Di2 road bikes both custom build and production bikes (10 speed Dura Ace and Ultegra, and 11 speed Dura Ace and Ultegra) and also a number of Campag EPS

have also repaired many Di2 bikes with “issues” including crash damaged components (normally rear derailleur) and firmware incompatability – normally where the customer has replaced a damaged component with a new item bought from on-line retailer and installed ‘at home’

also seen torn cables, damaged shifters and battery charging issues

Mountain biking? Have seen a number of customers running Di2 Ultegra in 1 x 10 setup on their MTB with custom made bar shifter mount using time trial buttons. nice but niche?

personally? have been using SRAM 1 x 10 for 2 years in X-0 flavour using 32T or 33T chainring and 11-36T cassette.

very durable, but range of gears lacking for steeper muddier climbs, more of a problem in the winter!

recently got to test ride this SRAM 1 x 11 bike for several hours in the mud, very impressed with shifting performance and gear range, could motor up anything steep and muddy

Can not see any need for electronic shifting as it would not offer anything this 1 x 11 setup did?

The rear mech on the SRAM mechanical is always cheaper to replace if you smash it in a rock crash, or bend it by getting a tree branch wedged in the chain, etc.

Open to all ideas new and old, but perhaps the electronic is a seeking a problem that does not really exist. On my road bike, totally prefer mechanical Ultegra, especially the shifting “action” which is tactile in mechanical, and very ‘sterile’ in the electronic version of my groupset

adsh
    Free Member

Do you win those 6hr enduro’s xc races then?

Fair cop but I’m mid field generally and if I’m honest my granny on the double was 30T before I went 30T 1×10.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

If you said electric shifting would eliminate trim on my MTB then I would go “SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY”! However, the more I ride (i.e: the fitter I get), the more 1×10 makes sense! Really like the “less to go wrong” concept.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why is it better than cable actuated?

Because cables get grungy and performance deteriorates.

iolo
    Free Member

But when they do any home mechanic can change them for minimal cost.

njee20
    Free Member

Can not see any need for electronic shifting as it would not offer anything this 1 x 11 setup did?

It’s different, not trying to compete. I reckon Shimano will stick with 2×11, slightly narrower cassette than XX1, no proprietary freehub body, but go electronic. Can’t see they’ll compete directly with XX1.

Hope I’m wrong frankly, Shimano 10-42 cassette with XTR Di2 would be awesome!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Because cables get grungy and performance deteriorates.

A single run of good quality outer cable will run ‘as-new’ for months, if not years. Just resist the temptation to apply lube: that’s what will gunge-up over time.

molgrips
    Free Member

I know, I’ve been running cables for 20 years, but they are still a weak point.

I often planned in my head the lowest maintenance bike possible, but there was always a gear cable in it. If they make Di2 hub gears my plan will be complete 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Di2 XTR’ is closed to new replies.