Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Di2 XTR cassette ranges
  • jennyr19
    Free Member

I’m hoping someone can help me on how to get some smaller gears on my current XTR set up or has had similar experiences themselves…

I’ve recently bought myself a new bike which has come with 2×11 Di2 XTR with an 11-40 cassette and 26-36 chainrings up front. My weedy legs are struggling to push up some of the steeper hills and so need something smaller to drop down in to. Is it possible to whack another cassette on, e.g. the XT M8000 (11-46t) or something with some OneUp sprockets, or even a smaller chainring? Would a need a longer deraileur cage for a bigger cassette?

I’d like to keep with the electric Di2 and don’t want to be spending an absolute fortune.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

fit a smaller front ring

wheely
    Free Member

I changed to an 11-42 XT cassette. Noticeably easier.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

24-34 up front and an xt 42t out back. Any lower and you’re below the point of balance. It’s what I run currently and it will crawl up anything.

tomhoward

changed to an 11-42 XT cassette. Noticeably 5% easier.

Ftfy

John_Key
    Free Member

24-34 on the front and an 11-40 cassette on the back will get you up anything

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Don’t put the 46 on with a double unless you want to rip your rear mech off, they can’t cope with the range.
    Dropping the front to a 24 would be the easiest option IMO

lesgrandepotato

Spend some more time on it? I swapped from a 26er with 22/36 to a 29er with 26/36 after a couple of months it becomes the new norm and you just get up stuff.

jennyr19
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Anyone know if I can buy just the rings or if I have to buy the whole new crankset? Can’t seem to find just the rings available anywhere without the arm

bramblesummer
    Free Member

The rings are available separately, and occasionally come up on eBay. Usually it’s the German online sellers that have them as 2x is much more popular on the continent. The price can be eye watering, but then you’re talking retail xtr pricing.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-xtr-2-speed-chainring-fc-m9000-9020-34t-as-529948

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-xtr-2-speed-chainring-fc-m9000-9020-24t-as-529942

jennyr19
    Free Member

That’s great, thanks. Any idea if I can just swap the small ring and leave the big or would the jump be too great?

bramblesummer
    Free Member

You can try, but the front derallier is only rated for a 10t difference in chainring size. It should work but you might find that when in the 24t ring and the smallest cassette cogs that the chain rubs or touches the bottom of the derallieur cage. In theory you shouldn’t need that combo as you’ll have popped up to the 36t ring by then.

It can only not work, so give it a go as it’s only a postage cost you’ll be risking (if you end up ordering the 34t down the line)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Di2 XTR cassette ranges’ is closed to new replies.