Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Di2 type (electric) shifter, now only 100ish quid….
  • DrP
    njee20
    Free Member

Does it auto trim?

was
    Free Member

That is brilliant.

Love hacks like this….

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

And it looks so aesthetically pleasing, can see everybody trying that mod…

fontmoss
    Free Member

that looks horrible, wonder if you can electrocute yourself?

was
    Free Member

Someone else is at it too:

http://www.diyshift.com/index.html

coopersport1
    Free Member

Needs some bigger bolts to hold that servo on………………

andyl
    Free Member

hmm. I would do it differently. That link is interesting though.

vinnyeh
    Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Looks like a school project.

baznav73
    Free Member

That servo won’t last long in the wet.

antigee

what ride on the road in the wet!

one of the things that surprised me about Di2 was that it wasn’t wireless – i guess for large groups the interference thing (ooh err) might be a problem but with modern technology running cables seems so last century

was
    Free Member

one of the things that surprised me about Di2 was that it wasn’t wireless

Could you imagine if the protocol was hacked during the TDF!!!

Perfectly possible, but means you need batteries at each end. Small ones at the shifters and big ones at the mech. Perhaps they felt it was better to have the weight of the battery mounted centrally, requiring a wired solution.

Or perhaps they are saving that for Di3?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

one of the things that surprised me about Di2 was that it wasn’t wireless

Apparently it was, but it added weight and complexity for no benifit (which you could argue about electronic shifting in general but that’s a different matter).

hexhamstu
    Free Member

wireless cycle computers are crap, so I’d imagine a wireless mech system would be even worse. The tiny wire can be run internally and can take much more complicated routes with more tight turns than a cable.

flange
    Free Member

wireless cycle computers are crap

Err, never had any problems with any of my wireless computers….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Err, never had any problems with any of my wireless computers….

Ride anywhere under a powerline and watch as your max speed breaks the sounbarrier and your heart rate becomes audiable only to bats.

flange
    Free Member

Ride anywhere under a powerline and watch as your max speed breaks the sounbarrier and your heart rate becomes audiable only to bats.

I’ve never had this issue, maybe I’m just breathing so hard that I can’t actually focus on the readout at the time

njee20
    Free Member

Some do do this occasionally it must be said, but I’d still never use wired speed sensors.

Or a horrendously bodged Di2 rip off!

was
    Free Member

I think some are missing the point…. clearly it needs work!

An open source shifting mechanism is fantastic! Think about what Linux did for IT…. A closer example: MegaSquirt ECU for car engines allowing full control.

These are very early prototypes – imagine dedicated & neat servos being produced, your own custom software, multiple shifting maps for your unique combination of gears, the mech being poised for a downshift when the other sensors on the bike detect you are likely to downshift, perfect shifting every time….Ok thats maybe a while off, but the tools exist to build all this stuff.

tomhoward

Nope, I was definitely going 147.6mph….

hexhamstu
    Free Member

A wired cycle computer has a nice little sensor, a wireless one has a big bulky horrible thing. If you route the cable nicely a wired one wins every time for me.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my polar HRM & cheap decathlon computer on the same frequency.

HR of 200-300 all the way to work. speeds with a steady offset. very odd.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I should probably qualify that by saying my garmin wireless is much more reliable than anything else, guess because it’s coded so the computer knows whats the HRM and what’s just static noise.

njee20
    Free Member

If you route the cable nicely a wired one wins every time for me.

Big if, they still generally look rubbish, particularly if you want rear wheel speed for turbo trainer or cadence or whatever. The Cateye Astrale looks awful! GPS FTW, nothing required then!

Still, it’d look right at home on the bike in the OP 🙂

reedspeed
    Free Member

The japs will probably already av an app for tht!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Di2 type (electric) shifter, now only 100ish quid….’ is closed to new replies.