Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Di2 (Road) – anyone know much about it? R785
  • nemesis
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a bike with Di2 R785 on it. I’ve ridden Di2 before (not my own bike though) and it’s great but is r785 compatible with the latest di2 and what is the downside compared to the new groups?

Will it for example integrate with my Garmin 810?

TIA

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes uses the same connectors and bus system. You might want to check specific bits though as some new components are dependent on other new components.

810, yes (though you need d-fly unit and probably a fair bit of firmware upgrading.)

nemesis
    Free Member

Ah right so d-fly was one of my questions. Firmware updates I can live with 🙂

crazybaboon

You’ll need the latest battery (BT-DN110) if you want to use synchro shift, or connect with Bluetooth
    Functionality isn’t much different from the new r8070 groupset, the r785 doesn’t have any extra ports so you can’t run sprint shifters, you’ll have to run climbing shifters from the junction box, make sure you get the 5 port one if you think you might be interested
    I’ve got a di2 bike with r785 disc brakes, I’m also running the d fly to talk to my garmin 810, the d fly definitely uses the battery quicker

onewheelgood

I just bought a 2017 Ultegra Di2 bike and it came with the BT-DN110 battery, but as said above, just the 3 port junction box.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, the groupset bundles virtually all come with a 3-port junction box, which means no auxiliary shifters.

The 8070 groupset has ports for auxiliary shifters, and has the additional buttons on the top of the hoods, which can control a Garmin (and are really cool), or I believe can be used as additional shift buttons.

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks again, everyone

peteimpreza

I have the BT-DN110 Battery but I can’t get a connection with the E-TUBE app.

What am I missing?

onewheelgood

Do you mean a wireless connection? You need to buy an extra bit for that – a d-fly unit. These seem quite hard to find at the moment.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Do you also have the blue tooth thing ?
    You need to new battery and the blue tooth transmitter

WU111
    https://www.vanillabikes.com/products/shimano-ew-wu111-e-tube-di2-wireless-unit-inline

peteimpreza

Thanks guys , will try and track one down.

peteimpreza

I guess you will need an extension wire also to fit this ?

orangeboy
    Free Member

you will probably need a short bit of cable. Just have a think where you want it before ordering the cable as they are around £20 each

peteimpreza

Thanks again Orangeboy

STATO
    Free Member

The dfly is nice to see your battery on screen but since Garmin and Strava dont actually present your gear info it relegates it to a £70 toy. The only use i got from mine was that it meant i had a spare cable to use when i was on holiday and the FD cable got nicked and stopped functioning (rare occurrence i accept). So when choosing what extra cable to buy to use it i suggest a long one and install the dfly in the seat-tube and stash the extra cable length in there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Di2 (Road) – anyone know much about it? R785’ is closed to new replies.