Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Di2 obsolete?!
  • tomhoward

It’s been here since the tour of California, around spring last year. Do keep up.

Lol, first sentence of your link….

The SRAM levers and gears were first spotted during the 2013/14 cyclo-cross season in the USA and then at the Tour of California last May,

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

That’ll get the more more cash than dash weekend warriors wet.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oliverracing

not a chance for me! If I had Di2 I’s be wary of it going flat while out on a ride, but wireless is going to have 4 individual batteries so 4x the likelihood of going flat!!

theflatboy
    Free Member

4 individual batteries – I was just thinking that, multiple batteries to keep charged just so you can use your bike?! **** that

tomhoward

not a chance for me! If I had Di2 I’s be wary of it going flat while out on a ride, but wireless is going to have 4 individual batteries so 4x the likelihood of going flat!!

If you runout of batteries on a ride, you deserve it, charging intervals are 1000-1500 miles, and you can check the battery level as and when. A full charge takes 2 hours.

Guessing you never use a light?

Next?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Never had a battery issue whatsoever in the year I have used Di2. Non users in unfounded panic alert.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Phew, I’m relaxed again in that case…

Daffy

I have absolutely no interest in having little transmitters and receivers all over my bike. It’s just going to make every part extremely expensive and troublesome.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Could power it from a jockey wheel, or a magnet in the chainring? Probably possible, but probably heavier than a wire from the main battery.

In the context of SRAM not currenlty having an electronic groupset, wireless looks like more of a USP to tempt people away from Shimano who need a reason to move away from a groupset already in it’s 3rd implementation with the bugs ironed out.

It’ll probably work flawlessly, and battery life will probably be long enough to be irelavent (think how long a cadence sensor lasts on 1 CR 2032, and that’s transmiting constantly), so the only limitation is how big a battery you can fit in the actuator, and mechs are mostly empty space or unconstrained, so probably quite a big one.

TooTall
    Free Member

I look forward to someone hacking the wireless tech and making a large sprint finish in the Tour de France even more interesting!

ac282

Sram jockey wheels? Not sure I would want to make them any more expensive…

sam_underhill

Wireless 1×11 + wireless dropper should make for a very tidy looking bike.

tomhoward

tbh i really dont see the point of wireless. the brakes are always going to have cables/hoses attached, and the mechs are always going to be in a fixed position on the bike. The only advantage I can think of is moving the shifter buttons to gloves, so its irrelevant where the rider has their hands, but shimano deal with that by having sprint and climb shifters, and not all pro riders wear cloves.

Any other advantages? Easier to set up maybe?

ampthill

I apologies for not wanting batteries on my bike for shifting

tomhoward

Wireless 1×11 + wireless dropper should make for a very tidy looking bike.

So would stealth dropper routing and internal cables/wires.

IanMunro
    Free Member
    DanW
    Free Member

FSA reportedly have Di2 compatible mechs close to production too. TBH I’d trust FSA who don’t have a reputation for making even mechanical mechs as much as a I’d trust a first gen SRAM product 😆

phiiiiil

Pneumatic tyres? At both ends? So I have to check, and possibly reinflate, not one but two tyres at the start of every ride? And risk them going flat during a ride as well? Bollocks to that, I’m sticking with my tried and true solid wheels!

😉

ampthill

Pneumatic tyres? At both ends? So I have to check, and possibly reinflate, not one but two tyres at the start of every ride? And risk them going flat during a ride as well? Bollocks to that, I’m sticking with my tried and true solid wheels!

I mean this is a pointless argument. It may well be that he technology never reaches my price point.

But the benefits of pneumatic tyres over solid mean that they are universal for all road and off road travel, the only real exceptions being toys, prams and rails. Electronic shifting may be better than cables but its just not possible that the benefits can be as great as the change to pneumatic tyres

kayla1
    Free Member

SS FTW lol etc.

DT78
    Free Member

Well, I’m excited, been predicting this for a while. In fact never saw why they released a wired version in the first place…energy harvesting ideas are interesting too.

I want it for the mtb!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

That’ll get the more more cash than dash weekend warriors wet.

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz…….

tomhoward

But the benefits of pneumatic tyres over solid mean that they are universal for all road and off road travel, the only real exceptions being toys, prams and rails. Electronic shifting may be better than cables but its just not possible that the benefits can be as great as the change to pneumatic tyres

Shirley thats just down to when the bicycle was invented, and the technology that was available at the time though? I’m sure if it had been invented yesterday it wouldnt have the development path it has had.

ampthill

Tom I’m really confused

Bikes were invented then John Boyd Dunlop made them better by adding pneumatic tyres

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Built by sram, hardly a benchmark for quality! it will work for the 50ms you get it out of the shop then you’ll have to replace it all 😐

tomhoward

Bikes were invented then John Boyd Dunlop made them better by adding pneumatic tyres

Then Tulio Campagnolo made them even better by adding a dérailleur and gears. Then Shimano San made them even betterer by adding electricity to those gears.

What I’m saying is, those inventions were the cutting edge of technology at the time. So if a bike was invented today it might have different tech to start with, such as electric gears.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I can feel a massive recall coming on. I’d rather go back to down tube friction shifters than trust sram to get that right. It’ll last about 30 minutes and cost more than a trip to outer space.

ampthill

OK Tom i now understand

Time will tell. I’m sure i was rude about suspension once i’m sure. But i still think its likely to be a minor change compared to the big ones you mention

Before suspension I did curse having to stop due to the pain. Before V-brakes I did find it hard to stop. Gear changing for me is at best mildly annoying, bearing in mind the bike I road today was using 15 year old Alivio shifters I have a few options left before I’ll need to try batteries

I notice that electronic suspension control doesn’t seem to have stuck

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s no surprise the release of electric gears coincided with the popularity of cycling going through the roof.

It’s the sort of technology that middle aged IT managers love; thats why it was released; to persuade them into cycling.

cookeaa

While it might be a gimmick if it works and is proven durable and reliable (although this is a SRAM product) I’d imagine bike companies would be all over it, “Clean” looking road bikes sell, hence most plastic bikes are riddled with with holes and internal routing to manage cable (or Di2 wires).

But a wireless drivetrain is “Have your cake and eat it” territory for the likes of Giant/Trek/Specialized, meaning they can push those clean frame lines and the frames are cheaper to produce without all the internal routing, plus they can probably charge a premium for them as they’re “Wireless ready” at least to begin with…

What’s not to like?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Built by sram, hardly a benchmark for quality! it will work for the 50ms you get it out of the shop then you’ll have to replace it all

11,000km on my SRAM Red group set, untouched since i fitted it, same cables, same chain, cassette switched out some 8,000km ago, used in utterly filthy conditions in summer and winter, shifts like the day it was fitted

ampthill

11,000km on my SRAM Red group set, untouched since i fitted it, same cables, same chain, cassette switched out some 8,000km ago, used in utterly filthy conditions in summer and winter, shifts like the day it was fitted

I like to hear the positives. Hardly sugest we need a new technology

Speshpaul

Di2, bring it on. having had a little go its lovely, point less but lovely.

Batteries- as we have Di2 specific frames already, will we top up solar panels – mini dino’s (not small Trex’s) – intergrated with smart phones,

TiRed

4 individual batteries – I was just thinking that, multiple batteries to keep charged just so you can use your bike?

This. How many of those cadence sensor batteries get changed after they run flat? 😉

I don’t have Di2 – in fact am going with 9000 DA to upgrade my Ultegra, but think that the wired solution from Shimano is the answer for electronic shifting. Fit and forget. Most modern frames have internal Di2 routing so the look is already very clean.

D0NK

Electric gearing yep, modern drivechains shift fantastically well but then you stick an old fangled wire in a tube to connect them, susceptible to mud dodgy routing, wear and they make a mess of your frame. Leccy shifting I’m in – when the prices come right down. But wireless? Why? extra faff/expense for what reason? clean lines? pff. I’m open to suggestion but so far nothing is selling wifi shifting to me.

same chain, cassette switched out some 8,000km ago

did you change the cassette coz you wanted different ratios or because it was worn , if the latter am I the only one who thinks this sounds a bit iffy?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I think adding a degree of electronic warfare to Le Tour is exactly the sort of thing to allow the nerds to feel like they have a purpose to play in the Barely Human endurance test of monsters.

And I think there’s a good chance of someone jamming it, especially at a finish line.

njee20
    Free Member

And I think there’s a good chance of someone jamming it, especially at a finish line.

As that’s the second thing that everyone trots out (after “it’ll go flat”), you’d like to think SRAM have done something about it, rather than simply crossing their fingers and hoping…

igm

Dave Brailsford will be sat controlling all his riders gearing and cadence. Perhaps.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I like to hear the positives. Hardly sugest we need a new technology

i have a 9070 dura-ace di2 group set ready to fit, not going to fit it in winter though, i like new tech

did you change the cassette coz you wanted different ratios or because it was worn , if the latter am I the only one who thinks this sounds a bit iffy?

changed the ratio

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Di2 obsolete?!’ is closed to new replies.