Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Di2 hydraulic disc and general compatibility – where to look for advice?
  • convert

Considering consolidating my road biking to one bike after coming out of forced retirement with a refurbed hip. Idly thinking about something like a tripster or a Croix de Fer or something similar that could handle some first world lightish touring but is still be a bit of fun ridden unladen and stripped on a hot summer’s evening. Possibly multiple wheelsets for heavy duty and quicker lighter riding.

I’d like to run hydraulic brakes, road levers a double compact chainset not a triple but with capacity for one of those daft new cassettes to give triple like gear ratios when touring and ideally di2. But I don’t think you can do this out of the box yet. Where’s the go to place to find out about compatibility between systems and fudging to make stuff work? It used to be a trip to Sheldon Brown’s website but what with him being dead and all I don’t think it has quite the same body of knowledge it used to.

STATO
    Free Member

With Di2 you have to use matched derailleurs, so both road or both mtb. To fit a wide cassette you should really use a mtb rear, which means either an mtb front mech and chainset, or no front mech. So you could go mtb 1×11 if you can stand the gaps in the gearing, or road 2×11 with a 32 on the rear. Of course outside solutions exist to let you fit a bigger cassette on the rear with a standard derailleur, such as the wolf tooth thingy.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Singletrack of course!

You can run an XTR di2 mech with the Hydro Di2 shifters, just plug and play. You won’t get an eagle cassette to shift with that but should be good for a 42 I reckon. Coupled with a 34 at the front should winch you up a fair gradient.

Edit – I think maybe XTR front mech might be needed.

2nd Edit – Just read the post above, that’s better than mine!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    onandon
    Free Member

New ultegra will give you a 34t rear cassette. Not too bad with a 34 front on a road double.

convert

Ta so far – I knew you might come good!

34/34 is certainly a start but would like to go lower if possible.

the wolftooth road link looks a possible solution https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink

Edit – I think maybe XTR front mech might be needed.

Do you think an xtr front mech would cope with a road compact double without too much hassle?

STATO
    Free Member

Do you think an xtr front mech would cope with a road compact double without too much hassle?

It mounting one in the right place thats the issue on most road frames.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Di2 hydraulic disc and general compatibility – where to look for advice?’ is closed to new replies.