Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dhx air Vs coil?
  • crotchrocket
    Free Member

How much weight will I save with an air shock over the dhx5 (with a steel) coil I have on board?

matthew_h
    Free Member

At least a pound, probably more. Depends on how big your spring is.

Don’t get a DHX Air though, they’re rubbish

Taz

Went from DHX Air to coil on my Helius FR

The coil was soooooo much better. Was a few years ago so no doubt the air will have improved.

If I was to switch back to Air (which I won’t)would go with RP23, if that is what they are still called.

My advice would be to stick with coil, get a Ti spring, and try and save weight / spend the money elsewhere.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crotchrocket
    Free Member

Spring is a 550lbx2.35 unit.

The thing about saving the weight else where is that, I’m not sure where I can or want to reduce weight without huge expence.
    Wheel set = ztr flow on alfine11
    SLX brakes

I guess I could lose a bit with chain, pedals, stem, seat post but that is minimal not the 6-8lbs that would make this build an “all mountain, all day, FR, miniDH, maintenance free, do-it-all” nirvana bike LOL

retro83
    Free Member

tyres would probably be a good place to start.

In your position i’d probably keep the DHX coil for gnar-core duties, and put on an RP23 or Monarch AM for trail riding.

Edit: I personally really loved my DHX Air, but they seem to be a bit of a marmite component!

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Hmmm tyres. Yes, I guess.

Minion DHF & a High roller. swap them out for for something like a conti Deisel or a perhaps a nobby nic?

Jeffus
    Free Member

Try picking up a good used shock if you can, I bought one of ebay , 6 month old Vanilla R TFT’d for £90

retro83
    Free Member

crotchrocket – Member
    Hmmm tyres. Yes, I guess.

Minion DHF & a High roller. swap them out for for something like a conti Deisel or a perhaps a nobby nic?

Wether it’s worth it for you depends which ones you have and how much you want to spend.

E.g. A DHF supertacky 2.5 = 1.3 kg whereas the 2.3 normal version is ‘only’ 0.8kg. The NN I think is about 0.5-0.6 kg so possibly not worth it if you have a 2.3 DHF, but an easy way to save 1.6 kg if you have the 2.5 supertackys.

There’s a listing here of various parts and their real weights:
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php

Enjoy 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dhx air Vs coil?’ is closed to new replies.