Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • DHX 5 air – heavy riders, how much pressure do you have in?
  • MrCrushrider
    Free Member

it says to run it at no more than 200psi, but im sure ive been told that some guys run theirs with upto 220psi in.

just wondering if anyone runs theirs with over 200psi, and if they've had any problems?

LoCo
    Free Member

Hi

from memory 200 psi max in the boost valve (written on piggy back decal) If you run more you make the shock feel a bit crap and increase the likelyhood of a internal seal blowing, resulting in the need for a service or rebuild, which is pricy

In the main air chamber you can run up to 300psi
    I'm guessing your blowing through the travel to easily.
    Check your spring rate/air pressure firstly here

http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx

you should be getting a third sag sat on the saddle with propedal set to minimum.

If your heavier than 14/15 stone the dhx will work a lot better with a tune on the compression and rebound as there set for the joe average and if your above or below that range of weight they won't work so well.
    You also fill the extra air volume air sleeve with grease to reduce the volume making the shock more progressive through it's stroke, making it harder to bottom out.

zangolin
    Free Member

Think you may be getting mixed up with the Boost chamber pressure which has a max of 200psi.

The main shock chamber max is 300psi.

The above is for DHX 5.0 Air 2009/10. Not sure about the older models best check on the Fox Tech section.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

you could be spot on there Zangolin – i always though the passage below meant the air sleeve, but it doesnt now ive looked at the diagram closer -i think it means in the boost reservoir….

NEVER RIDE YOUR BIKE WITH MORE THAN 200 PSI OR LESS THAN 75 PSI IN THE RESERVOIR AIR CHAMBER. DOING SO WILL DAMAGE YOUR SHOCK AND REQUIRE REPAIRS THAT ARE NOTCOVERED UNDER WARRANTY.

LoCo
    Free Member

150 psi is what mojo used to set as base pressure in boost valve, what are the specific issues your having?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

indeed you are spot zangolin – i can run upto 300psi in the main air sleeve!

thats made my day!!

zangolin
    Free Member

Just double checked myself – too make sure I was not spouting drivel!
    Was correct for 2009/10 DHX 5.0 Air

2009 DHX 5.0 Air
    Main chamber min=50psi max=300psi

Boost min=125psi max=200psi

Links here for Fox setup guide

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/09/Eng/Content/Rear_Shocks/DHX_Air_50.htm

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

no real issues to be honest – it just doesnt feel as solid as i'd like, but its my first full sus so i dont have much to go on really. if i can add some more pressure it should be ok cos im not MASSIVE – well, 16st!

ive been running it at 205psi so i'll up it a bit and see how i go. im gonna save up for a coil shock anyhow,

LoCo
    Free Member

damn sorry 😳 was sure tf spring calc gave air pressures too everything else above is sound thou 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

grease in the extra volume air sleeve (if you have one) will help.
    but tunings only way to get them to work well.
    Had one myself fiddled with it a lot then changed to the coil dhx which was loads better if a bit more weighty!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i think that'll be my next step loco, but not for a while yet.

thanks for the help folks, much appreciated!

mrfrosty
    Free Member

As its your first full sus why not ride it for a few weeks and see how you get on ? I've seen dhx air shocks tuned for people OVER 20 stone so you should be able to get it to work. Running 200 psi the shock should work fine.

devs
    Free Member

I think I run mine at 270psi. That was for 17st rider in kit. I'm a bit more at the moment so may have to adjust but I hardly ride the FS at the moment because everywhere I would take it is still snow bound. IIRC I did take it even higher but it felt crap so I run it as soft as I can without getting so much sag I get too many pedal strikes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘DHX 5 air – heavy riders, how much pressure do you have in?’ is closed to new replies.