Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • DHR 2 as front trail tyre – anyone running them
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

Currently running a Magic Mary as a 29er front tyre for the winter which i have to say has been amazing !

With the sight of spring and summer ahead (well almost) I’m looking for something that grips nearly as well but rolls a little better

Was thinking DHF but ive seen quite a few people running the DHR 2 on the font

I’m running the DHR 2 on the rear which is amazing. Just windering if i should stick another on the front rather than a DHF

Anyone running the DHR 2 on the front?

Shackleton

Also interested in this option once it dries up enough to stop using my shorty. Not that I’m holding my breath for that after last year.

Was thinking that a dhr2 would be better in loose stuff than a dhf?

thegman67

I ran one on the front of my d/h bike and it was superb

onedpete
    Free Member

Yep. I really rate it up front, kinda an extreme highroller 2/minion dhf hybrid. Corners really aggressively, much better than a HR2 I found, but bites a bit harder under braking than a DHF especially if it’s a bit softer under tyre. I run a 2.3 3c with an ardent exo as my spring/summer set up, works sweet! Running a dual compound one on the back paired with a shorty up front through the winter too….Shorty really is a flipping excellent tyre though for anything but hardpack…

olibluegoat
    Free Member

onedpete – did you run the DHR 2 on the fonr backwards or in the same direcation you would run it on the rear?

Whats amazing about the DHR 2 is thats its also quite abit lighter in 29er format than DHF

Oli

olibluegoat
    Free Member

How does it roll compared to a DFH?

kimbers

Check out the Onza Ibex, 2.4 on 30 mm rims I love it, when it’s not shorty time the Ibex comes out

onedpete
    Free Member

I run it standard direction, and I see no reason to mount it backwards as it shares the same side knobs as the dhf which is a bonafide cornering champ! It’s hard to say whether it rolls quicker than a dhf…I’d probably say it’s a touch slower due to it’s slightly toothier set up, but it’s minimal. It’s defo lighter than the equivalent HR2, which is one of the things that attracted me to it in the first place. There’s a great review on Blister gear review that’s worth a read too.

chiefgrooveguru

Some think it rolls slower than a DHF, some think it rolls faster – whichever (and is suspect its surface dependant) there’s not a lot in it. Braking and cornering grip are both fantastic, it only struggling more once you’re into cut spike or full spike conditions.

I ran it with a Trail King rear last year, then 3C DHR2 at both ends, currently trying Shorty front DHR2 rear (have tried 3C and dual DHR2 on the back) and also have a Minion SS for when it dries out more. I suspect my mud set up will be Shorty 3C + DHR2 dual, intermediate DHR2 3C + DHR2 dual and dry DHR2 3C + Minion SS dual.

The Shorty and DHR2 have a nice overlap in abilities so you don’t have to keep changing tyres!

P.S. Don’t reverse it! It’s ramped for braking even as rear, not climbing.

honourablegeorge

Have one on the way… rode one on rear for first time today in slippy conditions and felt the cornering bite and loved it.

chiefgrooveguru

I should clarify I meant that in the standard direction the braking edges are square, the rolling edges are ramped.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘DHR 2 as front trail tyre – anyone running them’ is closed to new replies.