Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • DHF 2.5 super tacky V 3C
  • poah
    Free Member

any reason not to get the super tacky version given its £25 cheaper than the 3C version?

both versions are folding EXO

is the 2.5 much bigger than the new 2.3

mikewsmith
    Free Member

3C gives you harder wearing centre knobs which will roll faster and last longer, the super tacky is the same all over

Northwind

I’d rather have supertacky tbh for hard use, not an option for clownwheels but sometimes you want a shitload of grip when the bike’s stood up too.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think 3C is a layered solution rather than different compounds on the sides and on the centre – soft rubber over hard (or vice versa) someone who understands tyres will know why – anyway in my experience they work well, but I’d only bother for a front.

Supertackie as the name implies are very soft, loads of grip but they’re unbelievably draggy. Before 3C I ran a ST front and 60a rear and the drag compared to my mate on 60a both ends was laughable – great if you’re in the Alps and you’ve got all the gravity you’d never need or want, a bit shit around Afan.

P-Jay
    Free Member

3C TRIPLE COMPOUND MOUNTAIN
    Maxxis 3C Triple Compound mountain technology uses a harder, longer lasting base layer and two progressively softer top layers in order to optimize traction and stability. Maxxis offers three different configurations of our 3C Triple Compound mountain technology: Maxx Speed, Maxx Terra and Maxx Grip.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Super tacky for general trail use will be hard work, used to run a 2.35 on the front and it didn’t roll to well but was confidence inspiring in corners and wet/and or cold conditions,best kept for gravity assist IMO.

poah
    Free Member

cheers for the replies so ST for gravity only. will look for something else.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

if it’s for the front I would go for it. No where near as noticeable resistance wise as if it’s on the rear.

And 2.5 is a bit bigger than 2.3. But not much I wouldn’t say.

jimmy748

I’m running DHF 2.5WT’s in my T130RS, 3C Max Terra on the front and, Dual Compound rear. Roll reasonably well but the grip is unbelievable.

nickdavies

Front is fine I run supertacky all year round uk and alps, pedalling and uplifted. Not in a million years on the back but not a problem on the business end.

poah
    Free Member

bought a DHR2 2.4. going to run it on the front with a slaughter and swap to the back and a projekt baron on the front for the more moist trails.

chiefgrooveguru

I just measured the current tyres I have on, if anyone cares.

Minion DHF 2.5 WT = 62mm* (2.44″)
    High Roller 2 2.4 = 61mm (2.4″)
    Minion DHR2 2.3 = 57mm (2.24″)
    Minion SS 2.3 = 57mm

* The DHF is brand new, unridden. The rest have had months of use.

On 27.5 Flow EX (25.5mm internal) rims, measured to the outside of the side knobs.

All the Maxxis Exo tyres I’ve had have got a bit bigger over their first few rides as the carcass stretches, so I expect the DHF to grow a bit.

The Shorty 2.5 WT and 2.3 I had on over the winter were similarly sized – slightly smaller casings but more sticky out side knobs so they measured the same.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘DHF 2.5 super tacky V 3C’ is closed to new replies.