Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • DHers on Country File
  • scruzer
    Free Member

anyone else see this tonight? That bloke Sorrell and local club on some Dh track making great use of some forest/old mine. Good coverge for prime time i thought.

jam-bo

woop. thats five minutes from my house that is…

tails
    Free Member

yeah was decent enough and that ex blue peter presenter loved it.

guido

Oh yes, i had an email about this on thursday. forgot to post to say to watch it.

carlphillips
    Free Member

was there today, pretty much empty all morning just superb…

jam-bo

a lot of people over at caradon hill for the cornwall freeriders race. was a mint track.

carlphillips
    Free Member

we thought something was up as the week before was busy.

never knew there was anything of any worth over at caradon? worth the trip from plymski is it?

neilforrow

good coverage for gawton, and woodland riders… hats off to those guys for making it happen, and for the superb set of tracks on the door step…

Diawl
    Free Member

Article in this month’s Dirt.

grumm
    Free Member

Just missed this – there was something on Countryfile about whinlatter a couple of months ago as well.

sharki
    Free Member

my fav track is the xc one 🙂

jam-bo

caradon is well worth a look. i was suprised how good it was, rocky, steep at the top and fast/open at the bottom. pretty long too (1:45 ish)

jam-bo

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/75792/

someones uploaded it to pinkbike if you missed it the first time round…

Christowkid
    Free Member

jam bo: any chance of an exact location???
    Not interested in doing the downhill bit, but used to use Gawton and Devon Great Consols ( Blanchford down now ) as a research site for ~ 30years. Expecially around DGC the concentrations of Copper and arsenic is simply stunning. They showed the old calciner chimney behind one interview, where the smoke went around brick baffles, the Arsenic crystals sublimated out onto the brick and they sent the women in to scrape it off. They didn’t live long!!!!
    Used to pop over along the bank to Gawton, looking at the blue stream etc. I really loved the whole area…..
    With such high levels of contamination, just wondering where they’ve sited the tracks – out of pure interest!
    cheers
    Q

jam-bo

our original site is in devon consuls. away from all the nasty bits now…

the new stuff is down towards bere alston in maddacleave woods, above morwhelham quay and newquay.

Christowkid
    Free Member

Jam bo: ok, ta. That makes sense. Glad you’re away from the heavily contaminated stuff, tha’s of fthe scale.
    Ahhh…. New Quay – that’s a stunning place too, with the tiled grading area above the Tamar and the inclined plane…… you’re digging out wonderful memories! It’s such an amazing area.
    cheers
    Q

jam-bo

we used to have a track straight through the middle of it….you really didn’t want to bin it….

Christowkid
    Free Member

***shudder** no, I can imagine……
    The stream emerging at the bottom of the spoil used to coat anything metal in Copper. The first time I took a chemist there, he stood at the gates by the top cottages and muttered about tasting the Arsenic ‘in the air….’ it was dry and dusty, but i was still quite shocked.
    Yet I’ve looked around the Calciner remains, where they ground the ore and then ‘burnt’ it and the smoke went up the chimney, and amongst the absolute toxic mayhem, a cluster of wild orchids!!!!
    hey ho….. memories from a previous existance!
    cheers matey
    Q

BoardinBob

Big feature on Gawton in this month’s Dirt

Christowkid
    Free Member

BB: I’ll take a look when I’m in Smiths!! ta
    Q

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘DHers on Country File’ is closed to new replies.