Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • DH/enduro trip suggestions for new Edinburgh resident?
  • tomasis
    Free Member

hello!

Im moving to Edinburgh to study and I’m looking for suggestions of places to make bike trip to.

Typically I’d have time for weekend as it’s nothing to do else after studies. I’d like improve as rider when I push me to limits so visiting a few times in month is not an understatement.

I know some dh tracks as Fort Williams and Innerthlein, still I’d like to find more hidden, understated places.

So far I got suggestions from the guy:

Dunkeld
    Glencoe
    Falkland
    Pitmedden

Are there more places I wouldn’t miss? If you happen to know some cheap places to stay over, it’d save time for me to plan.

Thanks in advance!

IA

Everywhere you listed there you can ride in a day except glencoe/fort william.

If you don’t have a car, Dunkeld’s good as you can get a train.

You say “studies” – if you’re at Edinburgh Uni then join EUCC (the uni bike club).

Northwind

…and if you’re at Heriot-Watt, they have an mtb club too, with a couple of really keen enduro racers.

Don’t worry too much about finding variety, there’s a ridiculous amount of riding just in the tweed valley, I could ride for a solid week in/around innerleithen alone and not worry about getting bored, and I still don’t know half the trails in the area. Brilliant to have so close by… Though, the public transport from Edinburgh is pretty poor.

euanc
    Free Member

…and if you are coming to Napier join the NUCC!

IA

…but I think we all know which is the best 😉

euanc
    Free Member

I don’t doubt it, but everything can be improved!

Northwind

IA – Member

…but I think we all know which is the best

Seems to me there’s only one way to be sure… BUCS team results 😉

tomasis
    Free Member

Some fierce club competition, I see. 🙂

I’m going to College of Art so I’m limited only to EUCC, huh? 😉

I don’t think about such things and for that matter, I ride like hack. I’m sure none of clubs want me, hehe.

However, I worry about that poor public transport..I heard that owning car in UK is expensive, I guess the option for student is not realistic?

How hard is it to get to those places, mentioned above if we exclude Dunkeld?

Innerleithen sounds exciting.

Northwind

Fort William, you can do by train from Edinburgh- though it’s not cheap. Glencoe and Pitmedden are, basically, in the middle of nowhere. Very nice nowhere, but still nowhere.

Innerleithen and Glentress are the frustrating ones, they’re only about 40 minutes drive but the transport network just isn’t good for bikes. There’s Bikebus, a bike-specific service that runs down there, good chap…

I couldn’t have afforded to run a car as a student but ymmv. There’s a load of edinburgh riders on here, we used to do regular rides though that’s fallen down a bit this summer, but it should be possible to blag lifts from time to time 😉

IA

How hard is it to get to those places

A big reason for most folk to join a uni club – people to ride with, people to share lifts with.

DougD

Can recommend the Bikebus, good bloke and the times work for me too.

tomasis
    Free Member

A big reason for most folk to join a uni club – people to ride with, people to share lifts with.

I agree. I’ll join the club as soon I arrive with bike.

Such good news re Bikebus service. My weekends are saved 😀

Thanks for replies!

cheers

Duane…
    Free Member

I’m at Edinburgh Uni and part of EUCC – it’s a great club with good trips and events. I’m already looking forward to mini-bike pub crawl in September!

gavstorie
    Free Member

This is worth joining as well: http://www.meetup.com/mountainbikes-161/

grey

You’ve also got Bonnaly and corstorphine hill on your doorstep for quick rides.

kennyp
    Free Member

White Hill in the Pentlands has some good techy stuff, though it is pretty short. Good for sessioning though. All built by the local yoofs, all credit to them.

youngrob

Got to agree with Northwind here, the Tweed Valley has a huge number and variety of trails. Uni clubs are a good idea to help get to know the area but there are also a couple of decent bike shops in Innerleithen who could point you in the right direction.

tomasis
    Free Member

Even better! Some places for evening ride 🙂

I’m already looking forward to mini-bike pub crawl in September!

I look forward to coffeeshop crawl if Edinburgh is good for it 😀

tomasis
    Free Member

Hi again, ive registered in Edinburgh club. I wonder how much discount do I get for 50£ day hire bike?

I didnt sent my own bike yet here and Im bit restless.

How long open are glester/innehlein bike parks? All season?

Northwind

Yep, all year. The uplift at innerleithen can get a bit disrupted in winter though as it’s bus-based so snow and ice breaks it.

yorlin
    Free Member

If you’re at the art college, check the Bike Station and Soul Cycles – you can pick up a second hand bike for not too much. It might be a clunker but you get get some rides in!

Duane…
    Free Member

Bike hire at Glentress is £18 for a hardtail with EUCC membership I believe – we are sponsored by Alpine Bikes.

tomasis
    Free Member

thanks for replies!

I think i can hire £18 bike some day. Worth for a few hours ride. 4h might be little to compensate £50 ride 🙂

tomasis
    Free Member

Bike hire at Glentress is £18 for a hardtail with EUCC membership I believe – we are sponsored by Alpine Bikes.

None knows how much discount for £50 ride in case I want to try out a particular frame?

br
    Free Member

How long open are glester/innehlein bike parks? All season?

Yep, and 24 hours too. Good for night riding 🙂

Where are you coming from, as I’m guessing you’re not English.

tomasis
    Free Member

br, im from Sweden.

24hours sounds cool. just build some tents. 😀

bajsyckel

Hej tomasis, välkommen till Edinburgh. Jag bor här nuförtiden och kör till Glentress / Innerleithen (etc.) då och då. DH/Enduro är inte riktigt min grej, men om du vill ha skjuts nångang skriv mig ett mail.

[edit] Svenska är inte min modersmål – min sambo är svenska – och jag nastan aldrig skriva så det är bra för mig att träna… Men engelska är också bra (of course)… [Edit]

tomasis
    Free Member

bajscykel, tack! Coolt att se nagon skriva pa svenska har 😀 Det vore kul att fa aka med dig sa fort jag far cykeln tillbaka fran Sverige. Jag ska hora av mig!

Cheers! 😀

p.s. du far lara mig lite engelska ocksa.

bajsyckel

no problem tomasis, my email is bajsykel at gmail dot com if you want it.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘DH/enduro trip suggestions for new Edinburgh resident?’ is closed to new replies.