Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • DH Wheels?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I need some new wheels for my trip to Morzine in the summer. I’m looking at Hope Hoops (Pro 2 with Mavic 521 or 721 rims), but are they worth the money? also where’s best / cheapest to buy them? Thanks.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2009-Easton-Havoc-DH-Freeride-Wheelset-26-Disc-/120696072045?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1a0be76d#ht_3619wt_770

Just bought two sets from here. Best value for money DH wheels I could find. Cost me £220 delivered. First pair no importy tax second pair £11 of vat. RRP is nearly 500 a pair.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I have a set of silver deemax and a set of mavic 821s on pro2 hubs for sale.

Both rears are 150mm.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

OOO how much for the Deemax TSY?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

£400?

Also got a set of UST Minions and set of UST WetScreams (hardly used).

mk1fan
    Free Member

521’s should be fine for the trails for Morzine. Maybe not full on DH / FR stuff but you don’t mention your bike.

IIRC the first year I went to Morzine I used 717 rims. 321’s the following year and Stans Arch till now.

If you’re only buying them for the trip have you tried looking at Superstar Components. Their AM wheels are good value and cheap.

Other than that try e-Bay for the Pro IIs.

JEngledow
    Free Member

521’s should be fine for the trails for Morzine. Maybe not full on DH / FR stuff but you don’t mention your bike.

That’s what I was thinking, I’m not much of a jumper and I’m taking my Heckler (built up fairly strong).

If you’re only buying them for the trip have you tried looking at Superstar Components. Their AM wheels are good value and cheap.

Although I want them for Morzine I’m also going to be using them at Aston Hill, Cwm Carn etc so don’t want to go too cheap and want them to last!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Seriously those Easton Havocs on Ebay are excellent wheels for the money if you can use a 150mm rear spacing. 28 spoke straight pull and super light. Easily as strong as the Deemax.

TSY – I’ll pass the info on – a mate is after some at the mo. Ta.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Out of pure curriosity – and to postpone doing any work!! I looked on SSC site – http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=347 – £180

JEngledow
    Free Member

mk1fan, I’ve seen adverts for SSC in mags, but never really taken any notice. I’m gonna have a closer look now, thanks 🙂

forgotmename
    Free Member

Ive got a set of white American classics up for grabs, 150 rear 20mm front, if your interested?

alexxx
    Free Member

521s are fine I have given multiple sets of them hell for years downhilling and the worse thats happened is a small crack in 1 spoke eyelet… awesome rims!

dans160
    Free Member

I’m using Nuke Poof Generators. Cheap and so far reliable with the added bonus that the rear hub has six pawls with 30 points of engagement so pick up is pretty good. The rims are MTX 29s which seem burley enough but are a PITA to change tires.

Northwind

If you want to go cheap I could do you a set of 729s on Pro 2s for, oh, £110 posted.

float
    Free Member

super cheap el gallos?

mulacs

Northwind’s offer is a good’n, 729’s are solid. I have a pair, have only just bought something lighter, considering selling but would want closer to £200 for mine…
    Highly recommend though. Can’t understand the price of them havoc’s though, bargain?!

bazzer
    Free Member

If if they are going on a Heckler then I assume he will not want a 150mm rear hub.

I have a pair of 823’s on PRO II that were on my Patriot and did lots of Cwmcarn Aston hill days etc as well as loads of trips away including Whistler and Morzine etc. I have rebuilt the rear on a 150mm Pro II and they are now on my Sunday. They have been faultless, though I am not particularly hard on wheels, that said I did knacker a rear MTX31 rim on the Sunday when I first got it.

Bazzer

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Blahs ark seemed to have a good price before Xmas not sure what they are doing them at now, but they come in 2’s

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure I’m going for the Mavic 521s, but what alternatives to Hope Pro 2s are worth a look? Thanks

RustyMac
    JEngledow
    Free Member

Are those DT Swiss E2200 Wheels gonna’ be as strong as Hope Hoops with Mavic 521s?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘DH Wheels?’ is closed to new replies.