Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • DH Set up advice (Sorry Tyres)
  • scottfitz
    Free Member

Ok so this is not a which tyre should I buy thread, it’s a which tyre should I use thread.
    Doing a Mini DH race on my hardtail on Sunday it will be super muddy track and rain on the day (according to the weather forecast)

So I was thinking:
    a 2.50 muddy mary on the front and a 2.20 wet scream on the back.
    Other options:
    I do have 2 2.35 swampy but the are on FS at moment.
    2 Mudx 2.0
    2 big betty’s 2.4
    1 2.35 minion & 1 2.35 High Roller (Current set up)

Which combo would you go for?

Northwind

If it’s proper muddy then the wetscream on the front IMO. And probably the Mary in the back if it fits- more an intermediate but it’ll do the job.

legend
    Free Member

Do you prefer more grip on the front or rear? I, personally, would also have the mud tyre on the front first. In your case swapping the tyres round would also help give you some more rear grip.

greeble
    Free Member

Minion’s are a hard pack dry tyre

campkoala
    Free Member

Whatever you’re happiest riding, personally I hate swamps, too round profile with no decent edge when leant over and would rather ride minions in mud over them.

Bare in mind a properly wet track where it’s constantly raining can run a lot faster than a drying muddy one.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Minion’s are a hard pack dry tyre

I know that why I plan on taking it off, I was just saying whats on there at the moment.

If it’s proper muddy then the wetscream on the front IMO. And probably the Mary in the back if it fits- more an intermediate but it’ll do the job.

agree, but it don’t fit, I could go wet scream on the front, maybe big betty or a swampy.

Northwind

Not a fan of swampies either but they can be alright on the back. I know the minion’s supposed to be a dry tyre but in non-cloggy mud they can work really well. (not so much if it’s sticky though)

Does the Betty work well in mud out of curiosity? Doesn’t really look like it will but I’ve not tried one.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Whatever you’re happiest riding, personally I hate swamps, too round profile with no decent edge when leant over and would rather ride minions in mud over them.

I like the swampy they seem good it the chalky, rooty, slippy stuff we have near me. hmmm thinking about it wet scream F and Swampy R, I think I will got with that.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Does the Betty work well in mud out of curiosity? Doesn’t really look like it will but I’ve not tried one.

not tried, used the last year in les arc, tignes, pila. They work well but no muddy/wet day really.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Why not ride the full suss if it already has the Swampies on? Having a bit of rear suspension could aid the amount of grip you have significantly…

scottfitz
    Free Member

Why not ride the full suss if it already has the Swampies on? Having a bit of rear suspension could aid the amount of grip you have significantly…

I am signed up in the HT cat already and my HT is my DH bike and my FS is more XC/Enduro.

Northwind

Cool ta

cubemeup
    Free Member

get that wetscream on the front and a high roller on the rear happy days!!

Lummox

Use schwalbe kojaks! Then I might place ahead of someone (assuming I can still get a place on the day )

jemima
    Free Member

I really like swampies. I go for them unless it was a total, total mudfest.

scottfitz
    Free Member

There will be spots on the day.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Had a great day racing (3rd in HT cat), Wet scream F and Swampy R. Worked a treat, cheers for the advice guys.

pussywillow
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

Out of interest, why the wet scream over muddy Mary up front?
    Wet screams are very good in the mud I appreciate but I’d rather have a nice wider volume tyre up front like the muddy Mary especially downhilling and if a rocky track, and the thinner wet scream driving through the mud at the back

scottfitz
    Free Member

Out of interest, why the wet scream over muddy Mary up front?

Base on the race on sunday, Anyone with large volume tyre were really struggling with mud/grass clearance. Locked up wheels every where, it was fine if you were moving but if you stopped/crashed with large tyres you were screwed. 2.2 wet scream on the front worked a treat. (there were no rocks)

Northwind

pussywillow – Member

I’d rather have a nice wider volume tyre up front like the muddy Mary especially downhilling and if a rocky track,

That’s why- he asked for a mud tyre not a rocky tyre. Seems to have worked 😉

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

If this is Kidland you are referring too, then yes, large volume tyres were definitely not the way 🙂

Felt I was riding slicks for most of it – till I crashed out…whoops!

scottfitz
    Free Member

No it was GP Indian Summer Series, Round 1 at Avery Farm

Not a pic of me but its a good representation on the levels of mud:
    https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/557510

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m glad I rolled over and went back to sleep rather than going to go and race that!

pussywillow
    Free Member

Thats why he asked for a mud tyre not a rocky tyre. Seems to have worked

POSTED 53 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST ]

There is plenty of rocks on some very muddy trails, 😉
    Obviously though this was more an cycle cross field descent by the sounds of it, in which case the wet scream paid of nicely 🙂

scottfitz
    Free Member

I’m glad I rolled over and went back to sleep rather than going to go and race that!

nope you missed out 🙂 ,it was great fun. I didn’t even get too wet or muddy*

*Bike got very muddy

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘DH Set up advice (Sorry Tyres)’ is closed to new replies.