Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • DH goodness for £2.5K
  • z1ppy

Nephew has fired this at me, he’s looking at the Spesh Status 2 for starters, which doesn’t seem too bad with this years spec..

Looking at old threads and the Dirt 100, it seem the YT Industries TuEs is the ‘one’ to go for, but as he need it on finance, that not really an option (is it?).
    So off-hand I’ve suggested a Saracen Myst 2013, as there going for around £2k (or pushing up his budget for 2014), otherwise as always Canyon seemed worth mentioning.

So as I’m only going by internet/mag reviews, any real world views?

honourablegeorge

Pretty sure YT were doing finance at one point

z1ppy

Financing (hire-purchase): Please note that a financing is possible for customers based in Germany only

Seems not, was worth looking into though.

BoardinBob

I’ve got the entry level Canyon DH bike. I love it and it’s never missed a beat. Spec wise this year’s model isn’t as good as my 2013 version, however the one you’ve linked to is outstanding value when you stack it up against the Specialized. The argument for the Spesh will be a better frame, but it would have to be a remarkably better frame to compensate for the better components on the Canyon.

legend
    Free Member

a DH bike on finance is a bit mad. When I was riding DH all the time the outlay on spares was significant and seemingly constant, worth figuring that into the equation. Every chance he’ll end up financing parts that he no longer has.

z1ppy

Bob cheers.

Legend he’s young and foolish.. and has got himself a decent job, & has no out goings, other than ‘toys’ & his g/f!
    I totally agree, but trying to be the ‘good’ uncle he actually speaks to, rather than another whinny family figure he ignores. So I’m only offering advise on the bike front 😐

legend
    Free Member

his g/f!

That’s him screwed then, more expensive than any DH bike 😉

z1ppy

indeedy 😯

cabeaumont
    Free Member

There’s no finance with YT as far as I am aware.

I’d use a 0% purchase credit card and make the Euro payment on the card through HiFX

I used them when I bought my Wicked last year and saved £50 over using my bank to make the international payment.

z1ppy

@ 20 with no credit history, just having started his 1st ‘proper’ job, I doubt (hope?) he can get a 0% credit card… I’d say unfortunately, but I actually think that a good thing!

But cheers for the info all the same

toys19
    Free Member

I’d use a 0% purchase credit card and make the Euro payment on the card through HiFX

This.
    If I had my time again I would not spend 5k on a TR450, I’d spend 2.4k on a tues and 2.6k on nefarious doings.

A Tues and a TR450 together in the mud, when they are covered in mud and blasting down a french mountain they are all the same.

goodgrief
    Free Member

advise him to save for a few months and pick up a second-hand bargain.
    newbies don’t need new bikes!

z1ppy

he’s already had a Kona Stinky, and as I say no bills & a good job… I wish I could advise caution, but I didn’t listen when I was his age (& even now), so why would you expect this advice to work? 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

If he has to buy a mainstream bike at RRP, the Kona Operator should be on the list.

Better value than a lot of “budget” DHers and seem bombproof.

toys19
    Free Member

If he has to buy a mainstream bike at RRP, the Kona Operator should be on the list.

Better value than a lot of “budget” DHers and seem bombproof.

It isn’t the wand, it is the wizard waving it!

mboy
    Free Member

Just sent you a fbook message… Check out the KTM Ratchet…

xiphon
    Free Member

@ 20 with no credit history, just having started his 1st ‘proper’ job, I doubt (hope?) he can get a 0% credit card… I’d say unfortunately, but I actually think that a good thing!

How do you think the world ends up in a financial mess? Have you ever been to a freshers week fair? Chock full of credit card stalls, enticing students with stuff.

He’s a prime target!

z1ppy

Quick look at the Kona Operator, and it’s far from better value from those I’ve suggested? KTM looks well spec’d.. will pass along all suggestions though

How do you think the world ends up in a financial mess?

I did say I hoped he couldn’t get the CC… but yes I know your right, unfortunately.

choppersquad
    Free Member

After seeing the unemployment figures for ‘youngsters’ the other day, I’d say good on him for finding a job, and if he wants to buy something fun at the tender age of 20 then why not? If no one bails him out all the time he’ll learn to look after the things that have cost him.
    And on the subject of bikes…..I’ve no idea (goes off to have a browse on the interweb).

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

If he has a good job and no outgoings, and a bike to sell, he should be able to save up quite quickly. If you want to be a good uncle, try to discourage him from getting into debt at a young age just to pay for shiny consumer items. Debt limits your freedom and when you’re 20, freedom is priceless.

As you can tell, I made these mistakes when I was young, and ended up having to stay in boring jobs rather than travelling or going to uni, just because I had consumer debt. I did it all eventually but I did it the hard way.

chakaping
    Free Member

Quick look at the Kona Operator, and it’s far from better value from those I’ve suggested?

Sorry, yes Canyon would be much better VFM if that’s a possibility.

I was comparing the Kona to beginner DH offerings from Trek, Spesh etc.

Similar level to the Myst isn’t it? But I’d favour the Operator for its general sortedness.

z1ppy

Well he’s found the thread, so I’m not entering into further comments about finance, but hebdencyclist, he had a kona, but sold it a while back (pre-job skintness).

As for the operator, 2013 bike are better value than the 2014 with the generally poorly regarded RockShox Domain’s. Even Spesh have upped the status by putting Boxxer’s on it for 2014. That said I/we want opinions of real world, not just ‘spec’ driven comparisons, so cheers (to all)

legend
    Free Member

What Boxxers are Spec putting on the Status? Just in case Spec are doing one of their annoying OEM moves

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘DH goodness for £2.5K’ is closed to new replies.