Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • DH Clipless Pedals
  • scottfitz
    Free Member

Hi guys need some advice, I am going to get some Clipless Pedals for my DH Hardtail but not sure on what to buy, I have used Shimano M545 SPD’s before which were ok but not great.

I will be using Shimano AM45 MTB SPD Shoe.

So has anyone used any of these:
    Crank Brothers Mallet 2 for under £70
    Crank Brothers Mallet 1 for under £50
    Shimano M647 Clipless SPD for under £50
    Time Atac MX6 for under £70
    Time Atac DH4 for under £65

Like and dislikes please. At the moment I’m thinking mallets.

kimbers

I like mallets good in mud etc but require an annual bearing change ime

Time supposed to be good

shimano Ok but had issues with sticky mud and ice before

scottfitz
    Free Member

I like mallets good in mud etc but require an annual bearing change ime

are they as easy as the candy’s to change?

Clobber
    Free Member

I really like Time pedals, you actually get the support on the shoe from the frame and there is plenty of lateral float in the connection.

EDIT: Time pedals aren’t made from chocolate like other brands on your list

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I won’t let anything but a Time clipless pedal near my MTBs. Bombproof reliability, sweet engagement/release and superb in mud.

Annual bearing change? WTF? I have Times that are over ten years old on their original bearings.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I really like Time pedals, you actually get the support on the shoe from the frame and there is plenty of lateral float in the connection.

MX6 or DH4 Clobber?

Edit: & CaptainFlashheart

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have Z-Controls on one, ATACs on the others (In various flavours)

The Z-Controls are basically DH4s, I believe.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Sounds good CaptainFlashheart what shoe have you tried with the Z-Controls?

Edit: DH4s are only only 59.99 on Ribble.

Pridds

I had a set of AM45’s with Z controls and they were a great combination

scottfitz
    Free Member

I think you guys have sold me a set of DH4’s cheers for you help. 😀

ThePinkster

I won’t let anything but a Time clipless pedal near my MTBs. Bombproof reliability, sweet engagement/release and superb in mud.

Annual bearing change? WTF? I have Times that are over ten years old on their original bearings.This.

I’ve been using Z-Controls for years now and not had to touch them yet.

Which is a bit of a shame as I want an excuse to try the new Mavic versions of them but need one of them to break first….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Usually ride in Spesh Tahoe on the bigger bike these days. Good mix of trail shoe for general larking about trail centre stylee. Have tried them with stiffer, racier shoes as well, and they work fine there too.

ThePinkster

I’ve also used several shoes with them, various Shimano’s, Lake MX140’s and some cheapo ones from Lidl and they all work fine.

Clobber
    Free Member

MX6 or DH4 Clobber?

Both, I prefer the MX6 but then I might not be as gnarly as you!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Pinkster – Member
    I’ve also used several shoes with them, various Shimano’s, Lake MX140’s and some cheapo ones from Lidl all of which were grey and they all work fine.

🙂

scottfitz
    Free Member

Clobber – Member

MX6 or DH4 Clobber?

Both, I prefer the MX6 but then I might not be as gnarly as you!
    Super Gnarly!! http://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/397726 😐

Clobber
    Free Member

Great pic! Is that a Troy Lee Designs Teddy Bear Onesy?

ThePinkster

I shall have you know that some of them were black 😛

scottfitz
    Free Member

No Super Ted Team kit standard issue.
    I wore it for my last run and it knocked 5secs of my time and won me the race 😯
    1 7 Scott FITZGERALD 1:04.76 (1) 1:04.50 (2) 58.85s
    2 24 Charlie EVANS 1:14.18 (3) 1:03.20 (1) 1:00.25
    3 31 Shawn WREN 1:08.77 (2) 1:08.83 (3) 1:21.78 (3)
    4 38 Will COLLIE 1:16.53 (4) DNF DNF

xiphon
    Free Member

AM45s + DX SPDs for me – on trail bike, dh bike and BMX…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Time Z-controls here. Absolutely brilliant. Not affected by mud, no adjustments, no moving parts, no bearing changes. Genuinely fit and forget.

stevede
    Free Member

Scott – i use the new mallet dh race pedals on my slackline, did me proud at Eastridge, expensive and i fully expect that, being crank bros i’ll have to use the 5 year warranty a few times but there’s nothing else on the market that ticks as many boxes for me. Dx’s are good but you(i) can’t really ride very well floating on one whilst you try and clip back in having dabbed or come unclipped. Been battering mine for a good few months now, the only negative is that the brass cleats don’t last long at all.

GEDA
    Free Member

I would just get some normal time clips not the platform ones.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

i fully expect that, being crank bros i’ll have to use the 5 year warranty a few times

the only other negative is that the brass cleats don’t last long at all.

How and why would you buy something expecting to need to use the warranty? Seems bonkers.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I would just get some normal time clips not the platform ones.

I have XC SPD and Crank brothers, I would like more of a platform, I only will use them for DH, For pumptrack and DJ I will use flats. And bike is to small to ride up hill, XC, endure etc…

scottfitz
    Free Member

I will go for the time ones mainly because there cheaper than Crank bro’s

ThePinkster

scottfitz – Member
    OK next question, what the different bwtween these apart from Name, price & weight?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bmx-bike/pedals-pedals-mtb-time-z-strong-freeride-pedals/timepedm355000000000

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bmx-bike/pedals-pedals-mtb-time-atac-dh4-pedals/timepedm405
    IIRC the more expensive version has adjustable release tension whereas the cheaper one doesn’t. Although mine are adjustable I’ve never felt the need to use it so if it was me I’d go for the cheaper ones.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Cheers, Done!

stevede
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – crazy really but I wanted a decent platform and a pedal with a bit of float and mud shedding ability, the crank bros were the only pedal on the market that ticked all of those boxes that I was prepared to trust for racing dh. Plenty of them in use on the World Cup dh circuit – even by shimano sponsored riders such as gee and gwin. I’ve used dx’s for a long time but much prefer the crank bros offerings.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Did you consider these steve? http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bmx-bike/pedals-pedals-mtb-time-z-strong-freeride-pedals/timepedm355000000000
    Also where you base, thought about race DH on you HT? I love it!

stevede
    Free Member

They look pretty decent actually Scott. I’m down in West Cornwall and I’ll be racing hardtail cat at the sw champs at gawton in a couple of weeks on super tavi, can’t wait. Last dh race in hardtail cat I did was at tavi woodlands at the club champs which was my first time on the hardtail. Think I like riding my hardtail downhill as much as the dh bike to be honest! Gawton on the hardtail is loads of fun. Your over south east aren’t you mate?

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Time Z here although I ride flats most of the time
    Atacs and zs last years

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘DH Clipless Pedals’ is closed to new replies.