Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • DH bike options…..
  • deviant
    Free Member

……well it looks like it might happen sooner rather than later, due to some cautious calculations on my part re. a house move I’m likely to end up with a few thousand left over in my bank account….will be more than 3 but unlikely to be more than 5k.

I have a trail steel HT and a trail Alu FS already.

Shall I:

Buy an end of season reduced complete bike, thinking GT Fury, Giant Glory, Scott Voltage etc….they’re all known quantities and well reviewed but come with a lot of crap OEM stuff and own brand wheels, bars etc which I just know I’d end up tinkering with and swapping.

Buy from a direct sales co. The bikes have the kind of specs I’m unlikely to change but Canyon aren’t offering the DHX in anything other than 26 inch wheels at the moment and I can’t find a 650b DH bike on Rose’s site either…..YT would be the obvious choice here.

Buy frame only. I love the Turner DHR, I know it’s a 26 which contradicts what I said above but I’d make an exception for that lovely creation….any others worth considering for frame only builds?….Banshee?….Transition?

Leftfield option. Get a Liteville 601 mk3, it can be run with 190mm of rear travel and can take a 200mm dual crown fork…. I’m pretty sure the angles are slightly off contemporary DH bikes but only by a degree or so and nothing an angleset can’t sort out.

I do enjoy building a bike up and the idea of a frame only project running something a bit unusual like X-Fusion suspension appeals….but at the same time there’s nothing like opening that massive bike box the courier has just delivered, straightening the bars and hitting the trails immediately…..very much first world problems here I know but humour me.

Post some of your DH bikes as inspiration please!

goodgrief
    Free Member

Solid Strike as another direct sales option.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Buy a used dh bike for 1500 so when you end up selling it next year you don’t lose a whack of cash 😉

deviant
    Free Member

You cyclical old bugger glasgowdan, it won’t be sold, the new house has a man cave so even it spends its life on axle stands as an ornament I’ll still enjoy staring at it!

Good call on the Solid Strike, anymore?

weegi
    Free Member

I’m with Dan on this one, mate is selling his Scott Gambler 710 (http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1808655/).
    It’s listed at 3.5K but pretty sure he could be talked down if a deal is to be made. In saying that, he may split it so frame only could be a deal, bike only got ridden once..love the Voltage too, some decent deals to be had depending on size.

nickc

YT Tues got to be a consideration for the full bike option, also NS Bikes Fuzz?

frames only: Orange 322, tough as old boots?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’d go for new full bike, 27.5. Okay there’ll be some OE stuff but not a lot, and DH bikes can handle it better than, say, trail or XC as they are less weight-sensitive. Just change the bars/saddle/tyres and ride the thing.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m going to be a boring old sod and say unless you’re going to start DH racing or head to Ft. Bill every other weekend a 6″ bike would be more fun. The modern crop of DH bike are so slack and so focused they’re a real handful at less than warp speed.

I’ve had a couple over the years, even with Cwmcarn and BPW on my doorstep I won’t have another, my 6″ AM bike is easier to go mad on and I can ride it anywhere. Sometimes by DH bikes would hardly see the light of day between Alps trips.

mikey74
    Free Member

I have a Morewood Kalula frame in the classifieds over on Pinkbike at the moment, if you want to go second-hand.

deviant
    Free Member

I’m going to be a boring old sod and say unless you’re going to start DH racing or head to Ft. Bill every other weekend a 6″ bike would be more fun. The modern crop of DH bike are so slack and so focused they’re a real handful at less than warp speed.
    I’ve had a couple over the years, even with Cwmcarn and BPW on my doorstep I won’t have another, my 6″ AM bike is easier to go mad on and I can ride it anywhere. Sometimes by DH bikes would hardly see the light of day between Alps trips.

I knew someonec would say that….and there is some truth in what you say, I have a Trance with 160mm forks and a 66 degree HA that is fine for most gravity stuff in the UK.
    But this isn’t need it’s want, I’m 38 in October, the next big one is my 40th….this is an early birthday present as much as anything else…..look at the plethora of fat bikes on here at the moment, nobody needs them but people are buying them because they WANT them and they’re supposed to be fun…..it’s the same for a DH bike and me, I don’t need it but I want one.

I’ve ridden a few on uplift days recently, when people see my hardtail they seem dead keen on having a go and I get to have a run in whatever they’re using that day….the steering from triple clamped/dual crown forks is a step on from how a conventional fork deals with rough ground, it blows my mind every time….just point and go, very little deflection compared to single crown forks…..there is a Spesh Enduro Evo that comes with 180mm dual crown Boxxers, maybe that should be on my list too?

If we were all riding what we needed as opposed to what we desired the trails would be full of 120mm Cotic Souls as that bike pretty much covers most UK trail riding!

The purchase is being prompted by relocating to central Wales so although it’s not Alps countries I am likely to get more use from it than when I lived in the South East.

raincloud
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/vitus-bikes-dominer-dh-suspension-bike-2015/rp-prod120710

Buy this. Unless you are regularly racing or riding a dh bike it will more than cope with anything you throw at it. Zee kit on it as well. 27.5 and cheap.

Rosss
    Free Member

With your budget I’d be ordering a YT Tues CF Pro, no need to upgrade the spec, carbon, 27.5, modern geometry and light as you’ll find a DH bike. What more do you need?

wiggles
    Free Member

If you are willing to spend £2300 I know of a silly spec(bos forks,deemaxes, CCDB, etc) hardly used bike for sale.

chiefgrooveguru

This kind of thing strikes me as what most UK downhill bike owners would be better off riding: http://www.bansheebikes.com/bikes_page/banshee-darkside-mountain-bike/

Then again if you put 180mm triple clamps on many of the latest super slack and low enduro bikes you’ll get up with similar geometry, from a more versatile (but less bike park proof) frame.

Apart from Fort Bill is there anywhere here where a downhill bike can get up to World Cup race pace?

chiefgrooveguru

One other thought – are e-bikes the future for downhill? Self-uplifting! 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

End of season sponsored rider bike? Coming to that time of year.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

What sir requires is a $13000 Rocky Mountain Maiden, oooo yeah!

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 glasgowdan – 1.5k secondhand will get you a great bike.

Then if you get into it you can splash out for your 40th.

deviant
    Free Member

Plenty of food for thought here chaps, thank you.

The Banshee looks good and appeals to the part of me that likes less rear travel, 200mm forks with a 180mm frame could be perfect, similar in concept to the 200/190 Liteville.

As others keep saying, this isn’t about getting the perfect bike for UK uplift days….boringly and predictably that would probably just be any one of the current 160mm FS bikes out there now…..this is about building (or buying) a DH bike because I’ve always wanted one and I’m finally in a position to do it.

Regarding tracks, obviously Fort Bill is capable of allowing a DH bike to stretch its legs….Glencoe?….Llangollen?….the blacks at Antur but I’ve not been there?…..and obviously the obligatory week in the Alps each summer.
    Either way, I’ll enjoy riding it even if it is only on high days and holidays, just need to hurry up and complete on the house move!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hopeychondriact – Member
    What sir requires is a $13000 Rocky Mountain Maiden, oooo yeah!

Just back in Tassie and will be catching up with someone who was on the press launch 😉 will get a review update!!

rhid

I was kind of in a similar position recently looking to buy a DH bike (much less budget though). Looked at a few new ones but in the end went for a 2nd hand one off pinkbike. I figured paying half of what a new one costs means that I could go out to the alps on it next year. There are really some mega bargains out there!

Since you are in Mid wales you have the bonus of both the North Wales and south Wales Dh tracks being relatively close! Antur Stiniog, Llangollen and Nant G would be great for full on DH bikes. That is irrelevant anyways. You want a DH bike so you should 100% get a DH bike. I have used mine so little but I don’t care because I think its wonderful!

Coyote
    Free Member

Kona Operator.

chakaping
    Free Member

There are plenty of tracks in the UK where a full DH bike is warranted.

If you’ve already tried some and you know you’re fast enough to ride one effectively then go for it.

I’d probably get a YT Tues with £3k, if someone was forcing me to spend that much.

kayla1
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commencal-Supreme-v3-2012-Team-Atherton-Edition-/131593247621?hash=item1ea3919b85

It’s 26″ but under budgie so there’s change left for pop and crisps 😀

gazc
    Free Member

i’ve got a nukeproof scalp – 26inch but only £550 for the frame from crc. think merlin had boxxer wc’s for £500 or so, leaves a lot of cash to build exactly how you like

really like mine, bit on the heavy side but awesome on the rough stuff and on big jumps/drops – feels indestructible. i’ve taken it to spain for a week of DH with switchbacks and even fitted a 1 x 10 drivetrain & a long seatpost to ride it enduro style with 600m+ climbs 😀 but over here usually ride hamsterley as its just down the road with occasional trips to scotland & wales

if you’re gonna do BPW/Antur other trail centre type uplifted trails maybe a 6inch or so bike would be better (i went to BPW in spring and my scalp was total overkill except for the big jumps and maybe the fifty shades of black trail!), but for proper DH then a proper DH bike is definitely worth while – if you have the cash/desire why compromise yourself?

kudos100
    Free Member

.there is a Spesh Enduro Evo that comes with 180mm dual crown Boxxers, maybe that should be on my list too?

If it was me, I’d probably go for something like this. I think you would have more fun on something with slightly shorter travel, while still having a dual crown fork up front.

Unless you are racing or going to the alps/riding fort bill regularly, I think a 180mm bike would be more suited to the majority of uk tracks.

Scott voltage, Enduro evo or Liteville, as you mentioned?

skolt
    Free Member

YT Tues
    can’t be beat for price and spec.
    Lighter than the carbon Demo.

dans160
    Free Member

You can buy my very fancy-pants 2015 carbon demo 8 for 5k complete with BOS FRVs and not that heavy at 35 and bit lbs.

Just saying.

dans160
    Free Member

Or you can buy the frame… It’s the black and yellow one.

chakaping
    Free Member

BTW – if you’re looking at 180mm bikes, there’s no need to go dual crown IMO.

Get a nice used 66 RC3 ti and you’ll have the same steering precision with a more useable turning circle.

dans160
    Free Member

Complete nonsense. 200mm is where it’s at these days!

chakaping
    Free Member

I stand corrected

dans160
    Free Member

Well done Sir for taking notice and realising the error of your ways.

Do you want to buy it?

catvet
    Free Member

A local lad has his 650 SC V 10 for Sale fully tricked up in white, size large I think

makkag
    Free Member

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1840929/

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/12639117/

That or that for me – Saying that i have just brought a Capra but i live in herfordshire and only get to wales once every few months – If i lived that way one of the above please and weekend trips to see bud at stiniog !

mikey74
    Free Member

If you are after 180mm forks, I also have some BOS Idylle SCs for sale on PinkBike.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1825078/

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Don’t buy the 601 if you really want a full-on downhill bike that will only ever go on uplifts. It’s not one. It’s a massively capable machine and would cope with any downhill track but it’s not designed to be a DH rig. You’d be spending a lot of money and getting something sub-optimal for that discipline.
    That from a 601 devotee!

Buy the 601 if you need to get to the top under your own steam and then want to descend as though it’s almost a downhill rig.

tall_martin

I had a similar decision last year. In the end I bought exactly what I wanted new- a canyon dhx.

I had looked at loads of second hand bikes but I’m tall and that limited my options.

New ment no serviceing of fork, shock, bearings in frame and wheel, shift cables plus break pads and bleeding the breaks. There was also a bit of money off the bike as it had some scratches and that made it my choice.

Still.happy with.it, it’s been great at ft bill, in the alps, at antur sintog as well as more local stuff.

If it’s the Turner you want and you can afford it, why not? 🙂

deviant
    Free Member

Don’t buy the 601 if you really want a full-on downhill bike that will only ever go on uplifts. It’s not one. It’s a massively capable machine and would cope with any downhill track but it’s not designed to be a DH rig. You’d be spending a lot of money and getting something sub-optimal for that discipline.
    That from a 601 devotee!
    Buy the 601 if you need to get to the top under your own steam and then want to descend as though it’s almost a downhill rig.

Interesting to hear, thanks…..shame really as I love the look of them.

If it’s the Turner you want and you can afford it, why not?

….because the really superficial, easily led, peer pressure and marketing susceptible part of me keeps coming back to the fact the Turner DHR has 26 inch wheels….it’s the same reason I don’t already have a Canyon DHX in the shed as they’re awesome too and I actually prefer them to the YT Tues.

I’ve emailed Mr Turner and he said it’d be fine to run one with a 650b front end, much like Liteville advocate on their bikes for riders my height so I haven’t entirely ruled one out.

Only thing bugging me is this is a dream build, I’m unlikely to ever build another DH bike after this and if I compromise at the start I’ll just end up hating it and selling it….. It’s irrational because I’m one of the biggest 26 inch wheel fans on this forum and never miss an opportunity to tell people how good my 26 inch HT Ragley is!….I just feel that if I’m going to spend thousands then it should be future proof and correct from the beginning.

alpineharry
    Free Member

Get a polygon, think their new models are 650B and they’re hands down the best dh bike i’ve ridden, owned a myst, (old style) gambler, and a demo. Nothing compares.

If that doesn’t tickle your fancy, i’d go for a gambler or a solid stryke if i had the money, the strykes look quick standing still!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘DH bike options…..’ is closed to new replies.