• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • deyhration and endurance
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Noticed Prof Timothy Noakes (him of central governor theory concept has a new book out

Main points are

* Overhyrdation is main culprit of hyponatremia in running.. which is potentially fatal if experienced and not treated properly
    * Claims zero science to sports drinks such as Gatorade
    * Glucose does not increase absorbtion of water
    * Claims there’s a well orchestrated conspiracy behind this industry (gatorade funds key and peak bodies including in the US and AUS and has impacted on medical literature)
    * Its a myth that carbohydrate=electrolyte drinks is better for rehydration than water.
    * He traced the history of the introduction of sports drinks and the science around it. Very interesting and well documented in the book
    Its okay to lose body weight through dehydration – top runners lose up to 10% bodyweight.
    * Importantly only drink when you are thirsty – no more. Sportsdrinks have promoted quantity/hour … its a load of bollocks.
    * Colour of urine not great indicator of hydration
    * Body is great self regulator of blood sodium and you do not need to support intake of salts almost impossible to have a deficiency. Problem is caused by overhydration and dilution of Na+

Bit of a copy and paste job but certainly looks interesting.

crikey
    Free Member

Yes to all of that.

Unfortunately he’s up against an industry with a vested interest in avoiding the actual science, and a generation of sportsfolk who think they know better.

GregMay
    Free Member

Have it and only read snippets, very interesting ideas in it. Mostly anecdotal evidence that has yet to be researched, which is generally correct in most cases :/ Sometimes angers me how slow my field is to accept anything. Main reason i’m moving away from it.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Finished reading it about 2 months ago.
    Pretty impressive stuff!!
    I guess the only faults I’d have it was that it was slightly ego-centric and a bit on the long side, but given that it represents 30 years worth of work, they’re both forgiveable.
    Pretty much batters into the ground the opposition with science.
    I’d also liked to have seen something on Potassium loss rather than just Sodium, but maybe there was and I missed it. Might have to go back and check.

enfht
    Free Member

Colour of urine not great indicator of hydration

Not sure ’bout that.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Not sure ’bout that.

Why not.. i know when i’ve had vitamins or eaten beetroot it goes a crazy colour

maccruiskeen

Mines blue – thats good. Right?

enfht
    Free Member

Why not.. i know when i’ve had vitamins or eaten beetroot it goes a crazy colour

Because when I’m short on fluids my piss turns orange, and when I’m adequately watered it’s straw coloured/clear. So urine colour is a pretty reliable indicator imo.

maccruiskeen

Orange? Weirdo!

GregMay
    Free Member

Colour is still not necessarily an indication of the specific gravity (concentration) of the urine. Quite often that you get straw coloured urine that has a high SG, less often vice versa I’ll agree.

Main thing I took from my reading was around hyponatremia – similar indicators to dehydration, get a drip and you’re in trouble. Was quite interesting at IM Wales this year to hear the race MD advising athletes that they won’t get a drip at the end if they ask (common practice in some other IM’s). Good to see people are paying attention to it.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Just went to buy his previous book

£1,964.88 from other seller!

also found it on ebay for £37.. WTF?

anagallis_arvensis

Its a myth that carbohydrate=electrolyte drinks is better for rehydration than water.

that is either wrong or depends on the circumstances like al the best myths I suppose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy

bigdean

Hmmm. I know after long rides i can get massive headache if not carfull. Its not nessessarly fluids as have tried that. Am quite a heavy sweater when on the rides and always thought it was salt loss, or sodium if your posh. When researching exertion (sp) headaches found a reference to low sugar levels so post ride is a can of coke/ pepsi and some fruit.
    Oh and gels are out never worked for me (except burner gels) so now have ham, cheese and pickel sandwhiches. Rides are much better now only improved by the addition of a pork pie.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not being funny but is any of that news?

Bar the bit re. carbs not helping water absorption, tho why would it?

What does he say re isotonic drinks?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Not read the book, but I wonder if he ever got taught “osmosis” at school.
    Agree with some of those main points though, especially “drink when thirsty”

tails
    Free Member

* Colour of urine not great indicator of hydration

The problem being once it’s bright yellow you’re already dehydrated. Still the easiest guide IMO.

All the bullet points seem like common knowledge to me.

Not sure ’bout that.

Colour of urine not great indicator of hydration.
    The problem being once it’s bright yellow you’re already dehydrated. Still the easiest guide IMO

Why do you think that though ?
    I haven’t read this book, but he appears to be contradicting folklore with science.
    You can’t then go and contradict the science by repeating the folklore.
    Is there any evidence on line to support either side of the argument ?

Northwind

trickydisco – Member

Importantly only drink when you are thirsty – no more

Just doesn’t work for me at all, I’ve got a rotten thirst reflex. TBH comments like this always make me a bit suspicious, very sweeping overgeneralisations.

DrP

get a drip and you’re in trouble

Que? Do you mean, if you’re given IV fluids after and event you’ll become hyponatraemic?

If you’re given 5% glucose, perhaps, but ‘normal saline’ (the main IV fluid) is HYPERNATRAEMIC compared to serum (154 ish mmol compared to 140ish in serum).

There may “cough cough” be a certain forum member contemplating a big endurance event next year, who has spoken to sports science colleagues, and may undergo regular blood and urine testing during said event, to get a better idea of what goes on in the body……maybe…..

DrP

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘deyhration and endurance’ is closed to new replies.