Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Devon / South wales campsite recommendations
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    I’ve got the week after next off and we fancy heading down that way, as it’s somewhere we’ve not visited too much before.
    Also I guess we could get down as far as Cornwall, but it’s probably pushing it a bit in terms of distance

Requirements:
    * We go camping lots and have no problem with basic sites (a bog and a tap and…maybe if lucky…a shower)
    * Would be good to have a pub or two nearby, and something interesting to do around the site for kids (e.g. a river/stream through the site, or some woods with rope swings etc – they’re boys 8 and 10 yrs old).
    * Would be ace to have a beach nearby, but as long as it’s driveable in say 40 mins that’s fine.
    * Would also prefer sites with fires allowed
    * We really don’t like the Nazi type of campsite with pitches all marked out (generally they have caravans in them). Also I don’t like boring sites that are just a field with nowt of interest there.
    * Would be nice not to get absolutely bent over for prices too.

Any recommendations?

Cheers!

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

You could try Ladram Bay or Branscombe (Airfield??). Both East Devon, both handy for beaches and outdoorsy stuff as well as places to escape from the weather if it rains.

dropoff

Sparkhayes in Porlock. Admittedly in Somerset

llama

South Wales – llanthony priory. No beach though, have to go west for that, then you are spoilt for choice.

As above, loads near porlock, cloud farm is nice but no pub (and it’s Somerset, not Devon)

slowbloke
    Free Member

River Dart Country Park near Ashburton.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

Three cliffs on Gower. It’s busy this time of year so could be a bit stuffy but the beach, River and castle it overlooks would make up for that. only pub within walking distance is a bit crap but plenty of great ones within a ten minute drive

CountZero

If basic suits, there’s a nice little site in South Devon, South Hams, just below Beeson on the way down to the fishing village of Beesands. It’s called Sugar Park, which rather graces it with more than it actually has, it’s just the top of a field that slopes down to a lake and the beach, it’s fenced off from the field with a short length of hedge dividing it into two, the furthest section has a view right across Start Bay towards Dartmouth harbour. It has a standpipe for water in the hedge, and a double loo block with wash basins.
    It costs £10/night for a standard pitch, £12 for a large pitch, and £1.50 extra for an awning/2nd car.
    There’s a footpath down the field to the lake and beach, and you can walk down the road into Beesands, where there’s a small shop for essentials and seafood, a small restaurant close to the seawall, and there’s a superb pub, the Cricket Inn, which has good beer and superb food, some from out in the bay, so you can see where it comes from!
    You can phone ahead, or literally pitch up and you just stick your money in the honesty box on the loo wall.
    I spent nine days down there in October ’15, and enjoyed every minute, I’ll be going back down again this October, previously I’ve done B&B in the pub, nice but pricey, and one year I was guest of some friends who live near Start Point.
    The SW Coast path runs through Beesands, around Start Point and up to East Prawle, Salcombe and Kingsbridge.
    The number is 01548 580165

el_boufador

Nice one – thanks very much all! That’s a big help. I will be checking those out over the following few days.

We’ve been to three cliffs on the Gower before but didn’t camp there. Stunning!

redstripe
    Free Member

If going to the gower, Port eynon campsite by the beach is good with kids, plenty of rock pools , sandy beach, walks along the coast, other good beaches nearby. 2 chip shops, tat shop but the ship (t) inn is a bit crap there. If it rains, as it will, trip to Swansea for lc2, mumbles, verdis ice cream place good.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

Red stripe the ship.inn has been done up, it’s much better now. I’m not a fan of port eynon though, bit chav central with all the static caravan parks

sturdylad
    Free Member

This ticks most of the boxes I think.
    I went in May it was lovely

http://www.westcountry-camping.co.uk/

danradyr1
    Free Member

For the Gower we stay at Oxwich Camping Park. It has a heated outdoor pool and within 5 min walk from shop/pub and beach. Always loads of kids on site.

ferrals
    Free Member

For south devon rustic camping…

Higher Aunemouth Farm

Short drive / longish walk to Bantham with beach, pub, shop. lots to do in area. Can go crabbing down at the quay in the river at high tide.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Devon / South wales campsite recommendations’ is closed to new replies.