Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Devon peeps, trail advice
  • v666ern
    Free Member

So I was planning on riding haldon, as I’m a tourist, tomorrow but it’s closed with trees down.
    Any other suggestions, I’m based just outside Paignton, so was thinking cann woods or scadson woods?
    Would love to try the moors but haven’t got a clue where to start…

jam-bo

Princetown burrator loop. Dead easy to follow, fairly weatherproof

v666ern
    Free Member

Cheers, so starting where….
    Pm if you don’t want to say on here 😀

jam-bo

I’d start at burrator, climb the old railway line to princetown and then out past nuns cross and back down the widowmaker.

v666ern
    Free Member

Crap, my os map only goes from Plymouth up to yelverton!
    Happy to give it a bash though, anything i should avoid

Thank you jam bo

enigmas
    Free Member

I rode burrator on xmas eve and it’s crazy wet & boggy unfortunately, didn’t ride the widowmaker but all the trails around sheepstor and the nearby woods were either mud-fests or rivers!

I’d recommend a ride in cann, the trails there mostly hold up well in the wet, though they are difficult to find. Recommend either asking for a guide, or a browse on strava to find the trails. The nearby plymbridge blue trail is finally open as well, it’s short but has a brilliant final descent.

jam-bo

Or go to cardinham

crispybacon
    Free Member

v666ern – have pm’ed you a loop 🙂

v666ern
    Free Member

Les,
    That is superb – can’t wait to try that out
    Thank you very much, if you guys ever need a FOD guide let me know!

billyboulders
    Free Member

The first mile or so of Cardinham is closed at the moment (there is a diversion but it follows the walking trails before you rejoin the bike trail) If you’re staying in the Exeter/Plymouth area it might not be worth the drive down to Bodmin unless you want to do a couple of laps of what’s still open. Two laps of whats open including the extra red loops will only be an hour and a halfs riding I reckon.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Cool, may take you up on that FOD offer sometime.

Don’t forget a £1 coin for the car park at Princetown & I can recommend the Foxtor cafe which is to the left of the mini roundabout by the Plume of Feathers pub for some apres ride drink & food.

Let me know how you get on.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Yes, Princetown car park now pay and display. Still a quid though!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Same question I was asking but looking for stuff around Exeter-ish

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/trails-around-exeter-way-that-arent-trashed

Thinking Woodbury Common but like everywhere else probably a mess?

Never done the moor on bike and think I’d get very lost. Burrator easy to follow you say? With a map I take it or is it signposted? Looking at the weather though the concern with Dartmoor is it can suck when it gets bad.

Otherwise I’m thinking Haldon may still have some rideability. Blue supposedly open and when empty is a fast blast and the off piste is better than the red (which is shut), plus thinking of exploring further around.

v666ern
    Free Member

Les,
    My legs hate you! It was an epic ride, only made better by the look on the face of two elderly women as I went OTB into a bog just past south hessary tor
    The moors are mad, so desolate obvious I know but until you go…
    Have requested a strava for you so you can laugh at how bad I am!

jam-bo

Your not alone, That bog is a renowned wheel eater.

bitemebryn
    Free Member

V666ern I’ve only just seen your post. I’m in Paignton and can show you a loop towards Kingswear, tomorrow or Saturday if you’re still about. I’m avoiding the mud fest of dartmoor at the moment.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Oh yeah, the South Hessary Tor bog-hole bike trap – Oops sorry about that.

Glad you had fun on the Moor & survived. Maybe come back in the Summer when its drier 😀 for another go.

v666ern
    Free Member

Thanks bmb, oddly I’m going to kings weir tomorrow with the family on the train then I’m off home unfortunately, but I’ll def pm you when I’m back down next if that’s ok

v666ern
    Free Member

CB, I did have a couple of ‘I’m gonna die out here moments’
    Got a little lost at sheep tor after the long slog up Portland hill, but that was probably down to me!

Many thanks had a great avo

crispybacon
    Free Member

Lol – yeah just seen your Strava route & I think I need to alter my directions as you were meant to carry on to the very top of Portland Lane to Ringmore Cottage then take the right after the Ringmore Cottage cattle grid, I can see my instructions weren’t clear & how you took a left after the Portland Lane cattle grid & got a tad lost 😕

Good idea to go back to Sheepstor village as thats the route you would have done anyway, the slog up past the scout hut to Eylesbarrow mine is character building …

Maybe try to find OS map OL28 in the sales.

superstu
    Free Member

Deadkenny – Woodbury is surprisingly weatherproof from experience, that said I’ve not been there this week but have in similar conditions and it’s been ok.

ontor
    Free Member

Woodbury will be fine. Dartmoor/lustleigh will be fineish

Would show you round but away atm.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Devon peeps, trail advice’ is closed to new replies.