Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Device for iplayer only, with hdmi output. Tablet or netbook ?
  • rickmeister

Question for the IT enabled please,

Just bought a new tv out here in Germany. We have expat tv running on a computer attached to said TV with a HDMI cable. Expat tv masks the ip address so iplayer thinks we are in the UK so will let us watch uk tv. (We are out of the BBC satellite coverage)

I want the computer back that is doing this so I can work, basically !

Our new TV is a WiFi enabled one. Can I stream iplayer wirelessly from the computer? If not, Is there a good tablet or netbook solution that doesnt cost a fortune iI can use bearing in mind i player will be all that it does.

Thanks

willard

Raspberry Pi running RaspBMC? Or, you could treat yourself to a PS3. I think even an Apple TV would do the job.

zilog6128

As above, a Pi is probably going to be the cheapest solution if you are OK with a minor amount of fiddling. I’m sure you would get plenty of help on here if you had any trouble anyway.

You can control them from any PC/phone/tablet so a pretty neat solution.

No idea about streaming direct to the telly.

willard

Just checked, it looks like XBMC/RaspBMC would do the job for you and would be relatively cheap.

rickmeister

Thanks folks, I have read about Rasberry Pi without needing to understand it, will check it out.

BigJohn

I just bought a Roku LT and I’m blown away by it. Even Mrs BigJohn can (and does) use it. Best £50 I’ve spent.

BigJohn

Doh! But you can’t run a hide my ip thingy inbetween, can you?

EDIT – My Expat TV actually features Roku on their FAQ page so you may be able to use it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Device for iplayer only, with hdmi output. Tablet or netbook ?’ is closed to new replies.