• This topic has 270 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 31 posts - 241 through 271 (of 271 total)
  • Detectorists PSA
  • slowoldman

Binners is spot on with Early Doors.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9PNoYSKx0A[/video]

cheers_drive

Sad it’s finished but happy that it retained all its charm instead of dragging it out over more series.
    If Mackenzie Crook’s next show if half as good he will have written 2 of the best shows of all time. Detectorists really is that special.

csb

Not wanting to sully the thread or the memory of such a lovely programme, but seeing Rachael Stirling in Tipping the Velvet was a bit of an eye opener the other night.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

A perfect ending to a beautiful comedy that caressed the mind with a feather (rather than beating it with a hammer).

My take on Lance’s cash is that he saw it as his daughter’s inheritance.

I have just one question for those with better eyesight and/or a larger screen than me: did the magpie push the gold out of the nest or was the gold delivery mechanism deliberately ambiguous?

colournoise

Shot of a magpie just before the gold started falling…

But just a single mapgie.

One for sorrow…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have just one question for those with better eyesight and/or a larger screen than me: did the magpie push the gold out of the nest or was the gold delivery mechanism deliberately ambiguous?

I went back to watch it again. It was, I think, deliberately ambiguous. Maybe it was a breath of wind…

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Ah, good…

(I was hoping for ‘ambiguous’, as it could have been a bit cheesy if there had been overt magpie assistance.)

zanelad
    Free Member

I thought the homage to the barn raising scene from Witness was brilliant. Them lifting the side of the gazebo with their detectors and the passing of the lemonade between rivals was sublime. A word used more often in this thread than any other I’d imagine.

Binners is right about the Royle Family. The very opening scene where Ken is cleaning the bogs and The Greatest Love of All is playing. He puts the toilet blocks in the urinals as the words “you can’t take away my dignity” are heard is another treasured memory.

jonnyrobertson

Good to see Kevin “The weirdest man on telly”* Eldon make an appearance as the auctioneer in the last episode. He’d certainly got auctioneer gibberish down to a fine art.

*The Grauniad, years ago.

jonnyrobertson

Oh, and another little touch that I liked was Russell’s car, an old FSO. Sure I’ve seen one in that very colour for sale on Auto Trader recently. Think I would have had Terry and Sheila in a Rover 75 rather than a V40 though…

kelvin

Played Magpie this morning. I have no idea if that track would carry the same emotion if I hadn’t heard it in the context of the whistle episode first. Title track from that album is even better… it has that Robert Wyatt “English folk meets jazz” thing going on, that shouldn’t really work but does.

DezB
    Free Member

10pm, BBC2 tonight, the 2015 Christmas Special

kelvin

Now.

midlifecrashes

Missed it. Hope the TiVo has picked it up on the series link, or the iPlayer has it.

kormoran
    Free Member

Fabulous tv, we only started watching after reading about it on here.

I recognised loads of scenes as I used to live around that part of the world. In fact my mum still does, so often go back. It is strange seeing familiar places on tV but it made me realise how beautiful it is despite it being in an area often ridiculed

All in all best tv for some years

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Yeah I live in Essex and recognised some of the places like where Toni’s narrow boat is moored. Paper Mill Lock at Little Baddow where we often stop for coffee especially when using North Hill for training.

It’s weird if you ever watched Lovejoy as well because that was filmed all over the area as well.

simondbarnes

Yeah I live in Essex and recognised some of the places

I thought most of it was filmed in Suffolk?

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I thought most of it was filmed in Suffolk?

Yes it was but I cover a lot of ground on my bike! As I said though Toni’s narrow boat was filmed at Paper Mill Lock which is in Essex. A lot was also filmed around Colchester etc. as well.

The main town used was Framlingham which is in Suffolk. That’s where the DMDC Scout Hall was and Lance’s flat etc. The ficticious “Danebury” is not far removed from Danbury either which is in Essex.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I have just started watching this and have to admit I can’t believe the stupidity of some people. Dr Arnim Zola is there with access to electronics and they let him get away with it. Hydra have won.
    In which episode does “Lance’s” plan for global domination become obvious?

mrhoppy

I finally managed to get the three series DVD box set after it appeared to sell out immediately it went on sale at both Amazon and HMV. New year’s viewing is now sorted.

sadexpunk

wife and i have just blitzed series 1 after reading about it on here and thought we’d give it a try. thought it would be rubbish but how wrong can you be, its cracking tv, really well written. will start series 2 tomorrow.

slowoldman

New Year’s Eve, the whole 1st first series is on the telly box.

wwaswas

It’s this sort of attention to detail and care that epitomises the whole program;

wwaswas

Well I laughed…

DezB
    Free Member

Why do Detectorists wear military style gear? Me and my lad saw a bunch of em in a big field on the weekend (could just about make out their camouflaged forms). We couldn’t help but laugh.

wwaswas

It’s that whole ‘hunter’ thing.

Plus military kit is generally cheap as surplus and designed to be worn outside in all weathers.

bob_summers

An old school mate found a load of bronze age gold recently. To be fair, he was digging for marble alleys when we were at school so no detectorists-inspired johnny come lately.

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/ulverston/Urswick-treasure-hoard-shines-significant-light-on-life-in-ancient-Furness-75657a98-8392-4885-8e08-a875582c9c4b-ds

km79
    Free Member

Why do Detectorists wear military style gear?

Incase they get called up to do a spot of mine sweeping.

outofbreath
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #3c4043; font-family: Roboto-Regular, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; widows: 1;”>Good spot Waswas. Daniel Howells book on the British Museum’s collection of Late Antique gold glass<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> is available online free as a PDF. I’ve no interest in the subject but the detail of the writing is addictive. I can’t put it down.</span></span>

grtdkad

Gutting

‘Roman haul’ turns out to be TV show Detectorists prop

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-42887063

DezB
    Free Member

Can you not see the pic, just up there ^^ grtdkad?

Viewing 31 posts - 241 through 271 (of 271 total)

The topic ‘Detectorists PSA’ is closed to new replies.