Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Destroyed Shins. Knee/shin pad recommendations?
  • birnie
    Free Member

Every time I have an off my pedals are making my shins look like I have been attacked by a savage beast. Does anyone have any recommendations on knee pads that offer a bit more protection around shins? I don’t need full on downhill pads, something that I can wear on longer rides.

binners

Troy Lee 5450’s

They’re über-comfy. You genuinely forget you’ve got them on. But they offer you some serious protection

birnie
    Free Member

They look perfect! That’s exactly the sort of thing I’m looking for. Thank you

Nick

While I was able to forget I was wearing Troy Lee knee pads for awhile (an hour), eventually the skin was genuinely rubbed raw on my left knee and I now have a nice scab.

Thanks

gren
    Free Member

Used to wear a set of 661 Veggie shin pads. That was before I realised that my trail running shoes and a set of V8s weren’t exactly helping me.

Not worn them for a couple of years since I swapped shoes and pedals but they did the trick and were comfy for hours at a time. Not sure you can get them any more though.

New Exo ones look like they will do a similar job although are a bit more full leg style

nach
    Free Member

If you want full shin+knee pads, I’ve found the Brand X ones from CRC are comfortable, stay up, and good enough to protect me against falls onto the concrete BMX at the NCC.

honourablegeorge

Nick – Member
    While I was able to forget I was wearing Troy Lee knee pads for awhile (an hour), eventually the skin was genuinely rubbed raw on my left knee and I now have a nice scab.

Had a little of the same with mine – chamois cream, apparently. I don’t really wear them for pedalling.

eltonerino

I have a pair of Dakine Oak short. At first they were quite uncomfortable (tiny cuts from the stitching), but they have worn in well. The outer ripped brushing past a bush on their second run too. So I couldn’t recommend them. Still, I forget I’m wearing them most of the times and they do a great job of absorbing rocks.

_tom_
    Free Member

I have some 661 knee/shin combo (soft shell) and they’re great. Really comfy and have saved my leg tattoos from being ruined by a fair few shinners already 🙂

dudeofdoom

Haven’t had any issues with my 5450’s tbh on 31/2 hr rides pedalling but I do think you’ve got to get the sizing spot on but they’re very comfy …

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Destroyed Shins. Knee/shin pad recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.